Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Help in choosing a motherboard

 
 
Ken
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2006, 06:21 PM
Hello,

Someone recently gave me a AMD Athlon 64 3400+(512KB L2 cache, 2.20GHz,1600
FSB, socket 939) CPU and two 256MB sticks of PC-3200 RAM.

I went to Abit's website and was looking for a motherboard for it. All of
the current motherboards have a 2GHz FSB. When I choose the correct CPU in
BIOS, will the FSB change to 1600MHz on these motherboards? Can someone help
me choose a motherboard? I don't have a problem with integrated audio.

Regards,

Ken


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Wes Newell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2006, 09:13 PM
On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:21:52 -0400, Ken wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Someone recently gave me a AMD Athlon 64 3400+(512KB L2 cache, 2.20GHz,1600
> FSB, socket 939) CPU and two 256MB sticks of PC-3200 RAM.
>
> I went to Abit's website and was looking for a motherboard for it. All of
> the current motherboards have a 2GHz FSB. When I choose the correct CPU in
> BIOS, will the FSB change to 1600MHz on these motherboards? Can someone help
> me choose a motherboard? I don't have a problem with integrated audio.
>

if it was a socket 939 cpu, then any socket 939 board will work. But all
S939 cpu have a default 2000FSB. The S754 cpu's use a default 1600FSB. As
for MB's, any of the newer ones should be fine. Just get one with the
slots/features you want. You have a large choice.

--
Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dylan C
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Ken wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Someone recently gave me a AMD Athlon 64 3400+(512KB L2 cache, 2.20GHz,1600
> FSB, socket 939) CPU and two 256MB sticks of PC-3200 RAM.
>
> I went to Abit's website and was looking for a motherboard for it. All of
> the current motherboards have a 2GHz FSB. When I choose the correct CPU in
> BIOS, will the FSB change to 1600MHz on these motherboards? Can someone help
> me choose a motherboard? I don't have a problem with integrated audio.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ken
>
>

Based on what I saw here
(http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/Default.aspx), amd makes a
3400+ only in socket 754. Also, all of the socket 939s listed use an HT
bus of 2000MHz. THis contradicts the specs you give for your CPU. It
might be helpful if you could post a part # right off the CPU. Should
be something like ADA3400BOX.

Also, you misunderstand the relationship between FSB and HT speeds. The
FSB on recent AMD systems is still limited to 200MHz. The Double Data
Rate (DDR) convention doubles the amount of data transmitted to an
effective 400MHz. The HT or LDT Bus is the speed of the link between
the CPU core and the integrated memory controller. This is usually a
multiple of 4 or 5 times the system's FSB. For a socket 939 system this
results in an HT speed of 5*200MHz = 1000MHz. Again, marketing idiots
use the DDR convention and double that number to an *effective* HT speed
of 2GHz.

In any event, any board that the CPU fits in will suit your needs. The
board's BIOS will allow you change the HT multiplier, if necessary.
Whether that board is a 754 or a 939 depends on exactly which CPU you
have.

-Dylan C

P.S. All of the above info is based on my experience with my AV8-based
socket 939 system and info at AMD.com. If I've got something wrong or
mislead the OP, please feel free to correct me.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Hello,

You are correct. This CPU came out of an Emachines computer. Here is the
part number: ADA3400DAA4BZ. It definitely plugs into a socket 939, but I
don't think I will be able to find a motherboard for it. It's an OEM. AMD
does not show this part number at it's website. I found it listed at
Wikipedia though. Here is a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...icroprocessors

Regards,

Ken

"Dylan C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ken wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Someone recently gave me a AMD Athlon 64 3400+(512KB L2 cache,
>> 2.20GHz,1600 FSB, socket 939) CPU and two 256MB sticks of PC-3200 RAM.
>>
>> I went to Abit's website and was looking for a motherboard for it. All of
>> the current motherboards have a 2GHz FSB. When I choose the correct CPU
>> in BIOS, will the FSB change to 1600MHz on these motherboards? Can
>> someone help me choose a motherboard? I don't have a problem with
>> integrated audio.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ken

> Based on what I saw here
> (http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/Default.aspx), amd makes a 3400+
> only in socket 754. Also, all of the socket 939s listed use an HT bus of
> 2000MHz. THis contradicts the specs you give for your CPU. It might be
> helpful if you could post a part # right off the CPU. Should be something
> like ADA3400BOX.
>
> Also, you misunderstand the relationship between FSB and HT speeds. The
> FSB on recent AMD systems is still limited to 200MHz. The Double Data
> Rate (DDR) convention doubles the amount of data transmitted to an
> effective 400MHz. The HT or LDT Bus is the speed of the link between the
> CPU core and the integrated memory controller. This is usually a multiple
> of 4 or 5 times the system's FSB. For a socket 939 system this results in
> an HT speed of 5*200MHz = 1000MHz. Again, marketing idiots use the DDR
> convention and double that number to an *effective* HT speed of 2GHz.
>
> In any event, any board that the CPU fits in will suit your needs. The
> board's BIOS will allow you change the HT multiplier, if necessary.
> Whether that board is a 754 or a 939 depends on exactly which CPU you
> have.
>
> -Dylan C
>
> P.S. All of the above info is based on my experience with my AV8-based
> socket 939 system and info at AMD.com. If I've got something wrong or
> mislead the OP, please feel free to correct me.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Dylan C
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Ken wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You are correct. This CPU came out of an Emachines computer. Here is the
> part number: ADA3400DAA4BZ. It definitely plugs into a socket 939, but I
> don't think I will be able to find a motherboard for it. It's an OEM. AMD
> does not show this part number at it's website. I found it listed at
> Wikipedia though. Here is a link:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...icroprocessors
>
> Regards,
>
> Ken
>

This is what I saw from the link you posted:

The Socket 939 3400+ (both Newcastle and Venice versions) is an
OEM-only chip and was never directly available from AMD. It shares
all Socket 939 3500+ characteristics with the exception of the 800
MHz HyperTransport Link.

This is interesting. Still, any socket 939 board should work. In the
bios I can drop my HT multiplier to 4x and the HT becomes 1600 MHz. Of
course, this has to be changed AFTER the pc has booted and you are in
the BIOS. There is a chance that the board/CPU will not even boot into
the BIOS if it defaults to a 2000MHz HT speed. Or, it might boot using
failsafe settings and allow you to configure it manually. Hard to tell
without trying.

-Dylan C
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help choosing a motherboard tailypo Motherboards 0 03-30-2009 01:17 PM
Choosing my motherboard petit.padavoine Motherboards 0 04-15-2008 12:20 PM
Choosing an ATX case and P4 motherboard Mals Hardware 9 08-08-2004 05:15 PM
Re: Choosing an ATX case and P4 motherboard Mals Hardware 1 07-15-2004 10:04 PM
Help with choosing memory Keith Abit 9 04-11-2004 12:22 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:29 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment