HELP!- dead<Shift>,<Alt>&<Ctrl>

Carl S

This is in regard to my N610c laptop computer. The <Shift>, <Alt> and
<Ctrl> keys have failed to function. An external keyboard plugged into
the back of the computer works fine. I can get uppercase letters with
caps lock, but that doesn't get me the characters over the numbers. I
have tried:

- Uninstalling keyboard from device manager then re-booting and letting
it be recognized and reinstalled
- Removed computer battery for few minutes then powering up and rebooting
- Checking/unchecking every combination I could try in the accessibility
controls with respect to sticky and function keys

None of the above changes the situation.

Could I have accidentally put it into a mode that I don't know how to
get out of?

Many thanks and any help would be appreciated!

/Carl S
Dallas TX

HH

Notebook keyboards go bad. Probably need to replace it.

HH

"Carl S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IEPsh.68892$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> This is in regard to my N610c laptop computer. The <Shift>, <Alt> and
> <Ctrl> keys have failed to function. An external keyboard plugged into
> the back of the computer works fine. I can get uppercase letters with
> caps lock, but that doesn't get me the characters over the numbers. I
> have tried:
>
> - Uninstalling keyboard from device manager then re-booting and letting it
> be recognized and reinstalled
> - Removed computer battery for few minutes then powering up and rebooting
> - Checking/unchecking every combination I could try in the accessibility
> controls with respect to sticky and function keys
>
> None of the above changes the situation.
>
> Could I have accidentally put it into a mode that I don't know how to get
> out of?
>
> Many thanks and any help would be appreciated!
>
> /Carl S
> Dallas TX

- Bobb -

> "Carl S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:IEPsh.68892$(E-Mail Removed). net...
>> This is in regard to my N610c laptop computer. The <Shift>, <Alt>
>> and <Ctrl> keys have failed to function. An external keyboard
>> plugged into the back of the computer works fine. I can get
>> uppercase letters with caps lock, but that doesn't get me the
>> characters over the numbers. I have tried:
>>
>> - Uninstalling keyboard from device manager then re-booting and
>> letting it be recognized and reinstalled
>>
>> Could I have accidentally put it into a mode that I don't know how to
>> get out of?
>> /Carl S

To check that - go into bios and select "set to factory settings"

Carl S

That makes sense if it's a bios issue. But are those accessibility
settings controlled by Win/XP? If so, the bios restored to factory
default may not be the issue...ya' think? Only reason I'm saving
removal of keyboard as last resort is suspicion that too much
coincidence the 3 keys involved are exactly the ones mentioned under
settings for sticky keys/filter keys. If keyboard were defective, I
would think keys involved would be more random. But...maybe not. I
will try your suggestion - - THANKS for input.

/Carl

- Bobb - wrote:
>> "Carl S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:IEPsh.68892$(E-Mail Removed). net...
>>
>>> This is in regard to my N610c laptop computer. The <Shift>, <Alt>
>>> and <Ctrl> keys have failed to function. An external keyboard
>>> plugged into the back of the computer works fine. I can get
>>> uppercase letters with caps lock, but that doesn't get me the
>>> characters over the numbers. I have tried:
>>>
>>> - Uninstalling keyboard from device manager then re-booting and
>>> letting it be recognized and reinstalled
>>>
>>> Could I have accidentally put it into a mode that I don't know how to
>>> get out of?
>>> /Carl S

> To check that - go into bios and select "set to factory settings"

- Bobb -

>>> - Bobb - wrote:
>>> "Carl S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:IEPsh.68892$(E-Mail Removed). net...

>> To check that - go into bios and select "set to factory settings"
>> Bobb

> "Carl S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That makes sense if it's a bios issue. But are those accessibility
> settings controlled by Win/XP? If so, the bios restored to factory
> default may not be the issue...ya' think? Only reason I'm saving
> removal of keyboard as last resort is suspicion that too much
> coincidence the 3 keys involved are exactly the ones mentioned under
> settings for sticky keys/filter keys. If keyboard were defective, I
> would think keys involved would be more random. But...maybe not. I
> will try your suggestion - - THANKS for input.
>
> /Carl

Did I miss something ? Where previously did you mention Sticky Keys ?
I thought you stated a PC issue with CTRL+ALT+DEL.
To check CTRL+ALT+DEL :
Turn on PC.
It starts BIOS test
Press CTRL ALT DEL,
Does it reboot ?
If so, not kb/bios issue.
If that's the case update us here as to your windows issue. Are you
doing CTRL+ALT+DEL from Windows to get the "lock my PC" / "shutdown"
pop-up window ? And THAT does not work ? only from laptop kb ?

Carl S

- Bobb - wrote:

>>> To check that - go into bios and select "set to factory settings"
>>> Bobb

>> "Carl S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That makes sense if it's a bios issue. But are those accessibility
>> settings controlled by Win/XP? If so, the bios restored to factory
>> default may not be the issue...ya' think? Only reason I'm saving
>> removal of keyboard as last resort is suspicion that too much
>> coincidence the 3 keys involved are exactly the ones mentioned under
>> settings for sticky keys/filter keys. If keyboard were defective, I
>> would think keys involved would be more random. But...maybe not. I
>> will try your suggestion - - THANKS for input.
>>
>> /Carl

> Did I miss something ? Where previously did you mention Sticky Keys ?
> I thought you stated a PC issue with CTRL+ALT+DEL.
> To check CTRL+ALT+DEL :
> Turn on PC.
> It starts BIOS test
> Press CTRL ALT DEL,
> Does it reboot ?
> If so, not kb/bios issue.
> If that's the case update us here as to your windows issue. Are you
> doing CTRL+ALT+DEL from Windows to get the "lock my PC" / "shutdown"
> pop-up window ? And THAT does not work ? only from laptop kb ?

I'm sorry if I misled you. Not CTRL+ALT+DEL problem. Problem first
seemed to only be failure of shift keys. Then I realized that several
days before, I had seen a window pop up saying something about hitting
shift 5 times to get into sticky key mode, even though I hadn't done
that. So I went into accessibility settings and checked/unchecked all
combinations of boxes but nothing made a difference. Then I later
realized that CTRL and ALT are also affected. But my DEL key works. I
was probably guilty of stating that in another post...sorry. But thanks
for your interest! Maybe I just need to prepare myself to remove
keyboard and clean the contacts.

/Carl

Carl S

Thanks to all who replied. As much as I was unwilling to consider it,
the problem turned out to be my keyboard afterall...intermittent
connection, dirt, or sumthun'

Although I was hesitant to undertake the task of removing the keyboard,
it was pretty simple, except for figuring out how to remove the clips
which held cables in place, so I left 'em alone. Blew out the keys from
underneath with compressed air, put it back together, and all keys work
as they should.

Again, many thanks!

/Carl S