Help! DSL modem is dead

Newbie

Forgive me if these are not the right groups but I am trying to squeeze
a post in somehow: my dsl modem is dead and I need a new one.

Problem is, without internet connection, I don't have any of my usual
tools of learning or shopping!

My modem was 5 yrs old, came with SBC dsl when I first signed up.
Question: Will they give me a new one or must I buy one myself?

If latter, what will be a good store to buy/order from, what is a best
value brand, and what price can I expect? (Basic ADSL for Mac; not
wireless.)

Thanks.

J.J. O'Shea

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 02:06:07 -0400, Newbie wrote
(in article <211020070106053748%(E-Mail Removed)>):

> Forgive me if these are not the right groups but I am trying to squeeze
> a post in somehow: my dsl modem is dead and I need a new one.
>
> Problem is, without internet connection, I don't have any of my usual
> tools of learning or shopping!
>
> My modem was 5 yrs old, came with SBC dsl when I first signed up.
> Question: Will they give me a new one or must I buy one myself?
>
> If latter, what will be a good store to buy/order from, what is a best
> value brand, and what price can I expect? (Basic ADSL for Mac; not
> wireless.)
>
> Thanks.

Any DSL modem on the market should work just fine. If there's a CompUSA near
you, it should have two or three to choose from. If I were you I'd get a
router while I was at it, but that's me.

Mike Rosenberg

Newbie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My modem was 5 yrs old, came with SBC dsl when I first signed up.
> Question: Will they give me a new one or must I buy one myself?

Aren't they able to answer that question?

--
<http://designsbymike.info/shop/mac.cgi> Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts
<http://designsbymike.info/shop/musings.cgi> Muckraking T-shirts

Newbie

Mike Rosenberg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Newbie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > My modem was 5 yrs old, came with SBC dsl when I first signed up.
> > Question: Will they give me a new one or must I buy one myself?

> Aren't they able to answer that question?

My modem conveniently died on the weekend. Their business office will
open Monday morning.

Newbie

J.J. O'Shea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If I were you I'd get a router while I was at it, but that's me.

If I understand correctly, that would help only if we plan to connect
two or more computers to internet?

Or is it necessary even if we might want to connect one computer
wirelessly one day?

Still, I do see that now is the time decide before buying a new modem.

When you say router, is that a separate item from modem or is that just
a more complex kind of modem?

Sorry, not sure about such basics! Thanks for all help.

D. Kirkpatrick

In article <(E-Mail Removed) t.net>,
J.J. O'Shea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Any DSL modem on the market should work just fine. If there's a CompUSA near
> you, it should have two or three to choose from. If I were you I'd get a
> router while I was at it, but that's me.

I believe that chain went out of business.

Did in my region anyway.

D. Kirkpatrick

Newbie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Forgive me if these are not the right groups but I am trying to squeeze
> a post in somehow: my dsl modem is dead and I need a new one.
>
> Problem is, without internet connection, I don't have any of my usual
> tools of learning or shopping!
>
> My modem was 5 yrs old, came with SBC dsl when I first signed up.
> Question: Will they give me a new one or must I buy one myself?
>
> If latter, what will be a good store to buy/order from, what is a best
> value brand, and what price can I expect? (Basic ADSL for Mac; not
> wireless.)
>
> Thanks.

The question is whether the modem is actually "Dead". Unfortunately a
DSL line can fail or become less-capable of maintaining a connection
at the DSL speed and signal when a dial-up modem will still work.

If you are adept at testing all parameters and can deduce the DSL
modem is dead, then OK, but a series of tests with and without micro
filters in the line, disconnecting phone devices, checking at the NID
will be called for.

Newbie

D. Kirkpatrick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I believe that [Compusa] went out of business.
>
> Did in my region anyway.

Here too. Best Buy, Circuit City, and Micro Center is all I can think
of if I had to buy locally.

Mike Rosenberg

Newbie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My modem conveniently died on the weekend. Their business office will
> open Monday morning.

Seriously? They don't let you talk to someone on the weekend?

--
<http://designsbymike.info/shop/mac.cgi> Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts
<http://designsbymike.info/shop/musings.cgi> Muckraking T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.info/shop/prius.cgi> Prius shirts/bumper stickers
<http://designsbymike.info/shop/dance.cgi> Ballroom dance shirts & gifts

Mike Rosenberg

D. Kirkpatrick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Any DSL modem on the market should work just fine. If there's a CompUSA
> > near you, it should have two or three to choose from. If I were you I'd
> > get a router while I was at it, but that's me.

> I believe that chain went out of business.

They appear to have left some regions, but they're still in business. I
can't say I understand why anyone intentionally goes into one of their
stores, though.

--

Comparison: DSL modem as bridge versus DSL modem as router with DHCP kiselink@bellsouth.net HP 1 10-24-2008 01:53 PM
Help! DSL modem is dead Newbie Apple 26 10-25-2007 05:31 PM
D-Link 614+ - DSL was slow, no improvement after DSL speed upgrade Karen Hardware 1 12-06-2004 04:01 PM
DSL: Any good website on working of DSL/ADSL nitesh Hardware 4 05-16-2004 03:25 AM
A7S resets DSL modem?>!? fungord Asus 2 11-22-2003 03:08 AM