Help: Maxtor Shared Storage Crashed, need new Boot Sector

IKD

Hi,

My 500GB Maxtor Shared Storage drive died after only 6 months. Maxtor's
solution is to just swap it over. This of course does not recover my data.
Another problem is the data on the disc will be available to be recovered by
other parties.

Instructions I found at http://www.openmss.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=491
indicate that if I can get a standard windows boot sector onto the drive I
will be able to recover the data from the reiserfs Linux partition.

I can edit/replace the boot sector but my skills/knowledge gets lost when it
comes to creating the partition parameters in the boot sector.

If you have a boot sector I can use or can create one for me from the
instructions I will be most thankful.

Below are some screen shots that may assist in creating the sector. If you
need any more information or can help you can email me at (E-Mail Removed).

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Iain

Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc IKD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,

> My 500GB Maxtor Shared Storage drive died after only 6 months.

Extrenal Maxtors are known to be a) heat sensitive b) badly cooled
c) die young. Don't buy them.

> Maxtor's
> solution is to just swap it over. This of course does not recover my data.

As they told you before in their sales terms.

> Another problem is the data on the disc will be available to be
> recovered by other parties.

True. Maxtor claims to blank the disks, but can you really rely on that?

> Instructions I found at http://www.openmss.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=491
> indicate that if I can get a standard windows boot sector onto the drive I
> will be able to recover the data from the reiserfs Linux partition.

If the drive is dead, this will not be possible.

> I can edit/replace the boot sector but my skills/knowledge gets lost
> when it comes to creating the partition parameters in the boot
> sector.

> If you have a boot sector I can use or can create one for me from the
> instructions I will be most thankful.

> Below are some screen shots that may assist in creating the
> sector. If you need any more information or can help you can email
> me at (E-Mail Removed).

> Thanks for any help you can offer,

If the drive is dead, the only thing you can do to get the data
back is pay for professional recovery. It will cost several
times the price of a new drive.

As to warranty replacement, you should not bother. The replacement
woll be the same engineered-to-die trash as the first one. But
that does solve the problem of recovery of your data by others:
Just physically destroy the drive.

Arno