Help me upgrade - what's fast enough

Nottoman

Running a 900mhz Tbird w/512 MB PC133 RAM on Abit KT7A running Win2K
This mobo will handle much faster CPU's. My question is how fast do I have
to go to see a noticeable difference in running business apps, viewing
digital photos, handling multiple apps, etc. Gaming is not an issue.
is a 1.5 ghz chip going to give me a substantial increase?
Thnx

Member Business Sources - Beaverton Oregon
Ethical, Resourceful Professionals at Your Service Since 1992
www.BusinessSources.net

Io

Nottoman wrote:

> Running a 900mhz Tbird w/512 MB PC133 RAM on Abit KT7A running Win2K
> This mobo will handle much faster CPU's. My question is how fast do I have
> to go to see a noticeable difference in running business apps, viewing
> digital photos, handling multiple apps, etc. Gaming is not an issue.
> is a 1.5 ghz chip going to give me a substantial increase?
> Thnx

Hmm, if your motherboard supports 133MHz FSB, it can *probably* take an Athlon
XP 2400+. I'm not sure how far you'd have to go to notice a difference (it
really depends on the program, though 1.5GHz probably wouldn't quite be a
quantum leap), but I can tell you the hard drive's speed is a much bigger
influence on launch times than the CPU. The difference from going from a
5200rpm hdd to a 7200rpm hdd with my Athlon 850MHz was chaulk and cheese.

What I'd do if it was my computer would be to flick the dip switches on the
motherboard to take the front side bus to 105MHz.

Nottoman

Did you mean flip the dip switches....150mhz?

"Io" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nottoman wrote:
>
> > Running a 900mhz Tbird w/512 MB PC133 RAM on Abit KT7A running Win2K
> > This mobo will handle much faster CPU's. My question is how fast do I

have
> > to go to see a noticeable difference in running business apps, viewing
> > digital photos, handling multiple apps, etc. Gaming is not an issue.
> > is a 1.5 ghz chip going to give me a substantial increase?
> > Thnx

> Hmm, if your motherboard supports 133MHz FSB, it can *probably* take an

Athlon
> XP 2400+. I'm not sure how far you'd have to go to notice a difference (it
> really depends on the program, though 1.5GHz probably wouldn't quite be a
> quantum leap), but I can tell you the hard drive's speed is a much bigger
> influence on launch times than the CPU. The difference from going from a
> 5200rpm hdd to a 7200rpm hdd with my Athlon 850MHz was chaulk and cheese.
>
> What I'd do if it was my computer would be to flick the dip switches on

the
> motherboard to take the front side bus to 105MHz.

Tod

Up to a 1400mhz will work fine.
most people have been able to run even faster cpus on the older versions
1.0-1.2
On version 1.3, should be able to run up to 1600-1800mhz (AMD PR 2000-2200)
Version number is listed on the side of the ISA slot (black colored)

KT7A help page
http://www.sudhian.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=2

news:ivyDb.3220$(E-Mail Removed)...