Help with my next system upgrade (not a new system): Athlon 64 X2? Conroe Duo? ...

ANTant@zimage.com

Hello!

It is that time of the year again. My aging Athlon 64 3200+ (754 CPU)
cannot handle the newest games (e.g., Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, Company
of Heroes, etc.) smoothly with everything/most video options (16X
anistropic, FSAA [usually turn this off these days, but would like to
re-enable it for the upgraded system, etc.) cranked up at
1024x768/1152x864 (can't go higher unless I want to use 60hz on my old
CRT monitor :P).

I am planning to upgrade my gaming box at the end of 2006 (after
Christmas and before New Year's Day -- want to avoid the shopping
madness and traffics). I need your help in suggestions on what I can
keep and what I should get. Please remember to keep the prices (U.S.;
Los Angeles, CA, USA; under $1K including taxes and whatever fees) low
and this upgrade is for current and upcoming games (e.g., FPS, 3D, RTS,
etc.) that should last about two or more years before I do another
significant upgrade. If I didn't game, I would still be using my old
Athlon XP system.

One of my friends said AMD Athlon 64 X2 would be cheaper than Intel
Conroe Duo as for smiliar CPU speed, its motheboard, and 2 GB of RAM.
However, three people (two friends and a stranger) said I should go for
the new Intel CPU. Also, please note that I am not buying the latest and
expensive stuff. If the products have been out for six months, I am fine
with it. Basically, I want old quality products, and not cheap quality
stuff that will break easily. At least I know they have plenty of
reviews, support, upgrades, quirks worked out, etc.

I think I am going to get one of these NVIDIA GeForce video cards
(newegg's prices as of 11/9/2006):
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT = $143+
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS = $180+
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT = $217+

For operating systems, I will be using Windows XP Pro. SP2 again (will
do Vista in a year or more; too early to get it due to the needs for
more software support, compatibility, etc.). I might also put
Debian/Linux on it as well. Another reason why I picked NVIDIA for video
card since ATI drivers and support are weak.

My current primary box specifications can be found at
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt ... Can I keep
all of my old drives? I know they're slow and old, and they can be
replaced later on. I will definitely be keeping my old CRT monitor,
three PCI cards (2 TV tuner cards and a SB Audigy 2 ZS card), etc. as
well. Power usage, heat (my room can be up to almost 90F degrees during
the summers), etc. also need to be considered.

I just have difficult times to find good articles, reports, etc. on not
high-end systems with old stuff and some new stuff.

Thank you in advance.
--
"Ants. There's a size for every picnic, a colour for every occasion, and a bite to let you know that they are there. Apart from the bite, that could describe a Basenji pretty well." --Len Reddie
/\___/\
( )

anon@concord.edu

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:13:12 -0600, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hello!
>
>It is that time of the year again. My aging Athlon 64 3200+ (754 CPU)
>cannot handle the newest games (e.g., Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, Company
>of Heroes, etc.) smoothly with everything/most video options (16X
>anistropic, FSAA [usually turn this off these days, but would like to
>re-enable it for the upgraded system, etc.) cranked up at
>1024x768/1152x864 (can't go higher unless I want to use 60hz on my old
>CRT monitor :P).
>
>I am planning to upgrade my gaming box at the end of 2006 (after
>Christmas and before New Year's Day -- want to avoid the shopping
>madness and traffics). I need your help in suggestions on what I can
>keep and what I should get. Please remember to keep the prices (U.S.;
>Los Angeles, CA, USA; under $1K including taxes and whatever fees) low
>and this upgrade is for current and upcoming games (e.g., FPS, 3D, RTS,
>etc.) that should last about two or more years before I do another
>significant upgrade. If I didn't game, I would still be using my old
>Athlon XP system.
>
>One of my friends said AMD Athlon 64 X2 would be cheaper than Intel
>Conroe Duo as for smiliar CPU speed, its motheboard, and 2 GB of RAM.
>However, three people (two friends and a stranger) said I should go for
>the new Intel CPU. Also, please note that I am not buying the latest and
>expensive stuff. If the products have been out for six months, I am fine
>with it. Basically, I want old quality products, and not cheap quality
>stuff that will break easily. At least I know they have plenty of
>reviews, support, upgrades, quirks worked out, etc.
>
>I think I am going to get one of these NVIDIA GeForce video cards
>(newegg's prices as of 11/9/2006):
>NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT = $143+
>NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS = $180+
>NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT = $217+
>
>For operating systems, I will be using Windows XP Pro. SP2 again (will
>do Vista in a year or more; too early to get it due to the needs for
>more software support, compatibility, etc.). I might also put
>Debian/Linux on it as well. Another reason why I picked NVIDIA for video
>card since ATI drivers and support are weak.
>
>My current primary box specifications can be found at
>http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt ... Can I keep
>all of my old drives? I know they're slow and old, and they can be
>replaced later on. I will definitely be keeping my old CRT monitor,
>three PCI cards (2 TV tuner cards and a SB Audigy 2 ZS card), etc. as
>well. Power usage, heat (my room can be up to almost 90F degrees during
>the summers), etc. also need to be considered.
>
>I just have difficult times to find good articles, reports, etc. on not
>high-end systems with old stuff and some new stuff.
>
>Thank you in advance.

Wait for DX10 braggard
=========================

John Weiss

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...

> It is that time of the year again. My aging Athlon 64 3200+ (754 CPU)
> cannot handle the newest games

.. . .

> I am planning to upgrade my gaming box at the end of 2006 (after
> Christmas and before New Year's Day -- want to avoid the shopping
> madness and traffics). I need your help in suggestions on what I can
> keep and what I should get. Please remember to keep the prices (U.S.;
> Los Angeles, CA, USA; under $1K including taxes and whatever fees) low

Motherboard and CPU for sure. Video card most likely, assuming yours is AGP
and the new one is PCIe. RAM depending on compatibility.

> One of my friends said AMD Athlon 64 X2 would be cheaper than Intel
> Conroe Duo as for smiliar CPU speed, its motheboard, and 2 GB of RAM.
> However, three people (two friends and a stranger) said I should go for
> the new Intel CPU.

For performance, the Core 2 Duo (NOT the Core duo!) is what you need. The
Core 2 CPUs apparently run considerably cooler than AMDs. Compare prices
with your AMD CPU of choice, and decide what you want and can afford.

For gaming, an AMD FX (rather than X2) may be what you really want,
depending on price and availability. You might be able to pick up a S939
board and FX-55 (2.6 GHz, $200 range) or 57 (2.8 GHz, $400 range) cheaper
than a new Core 2 setup. If you think you need dual-core for future games,
look at the FX-60 (dual 2.6 GHz, $800 range).

Check Newegg.com and other on-line stores to compare what's available in
your price range.

OldDog

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<snip>

> One of my friends said AMD Athlon 64 X2 would be cheaper than Intel
> Conroe Duo as for smiliar CPU speed, its motheboard, and 2 GB of RAM.

Just because something is cheaper doesn't mean its best bang for your $.
You need to get online and check out the benchmarks and then compare the
prices.

> However, three people (two friends and a stranger) said I should go for
> the new Intel CPU.

Why? What was their reasoning behind this?

>Also, please note that I am not buying the latest and
> expensive stuff. If the products have been out for six months, I am fine
> with it. Basically, I want old quality products, and not cheap quality
> stuff that will break easily. At least I know they have plenty of
> reviews, support, upgrades, quirks worked out, etc.

Waiting a few months to ensure new products aren't buggy is good pratice.
The new Intel Core 2 Duo is coming up on six months pretty soon.

<snip>

> I just have difficult times to find good articles, reports, etc. on not
> high-end systems with old stuff and some new stuff.

Check out some of these links. While I've been a big AMD fan for years now,
the Intel Core 2 Duo does look good. Plus, the cheapest Core 2 (E6300)
seems to OC very easily and gets very nice results.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/10/cheap_thrills/
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/...s_summer_2006/
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2802

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/index.php
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardwar...261_3620036__8

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/core2/index.x?pg=1

The above are CPU reviews. You can also use the above links to check out
the Video cards to see which card is the best bang for your budget.

ANTant@zimage.com

> >It is that time of the year again. My aging Athlon 64 3200+ (754 CPU)
> >cannot handle the newest games (e.g., Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, Company
> >of Heroes, etc.) smoothly with everything/most video options (16X
> >anistropic, FSAA [usually turn this off these days, but would like to
> >re-enable it for the upgraded system, etc.) cranked up at
> >1024x768/1152x864 (can't go higher unless I want to use 60hz on my old
> >CRT monitor :P).
> >
> >I am planning to upgrade my gaming box at the end of 2006 (after
> >Christmas and before New Year's Day -- want to avoid the shopping
> >madness and traffics). I need your help in suggestions on what I can
> >keep and what I should get. Please remember to keep the prices (U.S.;
> >Los Angeles, CA, USA; under $1K including taxes and whatever fees) low
> >and this upgrade is for current and upcoming games (e.g., FPS, 3D, RTS,
> >etc.) that should last about two or more years before I do another
> >significant upgrade. If I didn't game, I would still be using my old
> >Athlon XP system.
> >
> >One of my friends said AMD Athlon 64 X2 would be cheaper than Intel
> >Conroe Duo as for smiliar CPU speed, its motheboard, and 2 GB of RAM.
> >However, three people (two friends and a stranger) said I should go for
> >the new Intel CPU. Also, please note that I am not buying the latest and
> >expensive stuff. If the products have been out for six months, I am fine
> >with it. Basically, I want old quality products, and not cheap quality
> >stuff that will break easily. At least I know they have plenty of
> >reviews, support, upgrades, quirks worked out, etc.
> >
> >I think I am going to get one of these NVIDIA GeForce video cards
> >(newegg's prices as of 11/9/2006):
> >NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT = $143+
> >NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS = $180+
> >NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT = $217+
> >
> >For operating systems, I will be using Windows XP Pro. SP2 again (will
> >do Vista in a year or more; too early to get it due to the needs for
> >more software support, compatibility, etc.). I might also put
> >Debian/Linux on it as well. Another reason why I picked NVIDIA for video
> >card since ATI drivers and support are weak.
> >
> >My current primary box specifications can be found at
> >http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt ... Can I keep
> >all of my old drives? I know they're slow and old, and they can be
> >replaced later on. I will definitely be keeping my old CRT monitor,
> >three PCI cards (2 TV tuner cards and a SB Audigy 2 ZS card), etc. as
> >well. Power usage, heat (my room can be up to almost 90F degrees during
> >the summers), etc. also need to be considered.
> >
> >I just have difficult times to find good articles, reports, etc. on not
> >high-end systems with old stuff and some new stuff.
> >
> >Thank you in advance.

> Wait for DX10 braggard

When is it coming out? Even if I waited, the prices for those video
cards will be too much like the current 8800 cards. There's no way I am
spending over 300 bucks for a video card.
--

In alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 John Weiss <jrweiss98155nospamatnospamcomcastdotnospamnet> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> >
> > It is that time of the year again. My aging Athlon 64 3200+ (754 CPU)
> > cannot handle the newest games

> . . .

> > I am planning to upgrade my gaming box at the end of 2006 (after
> > Christmas and before New Year's Day -- want to avoid the shopping
> > madness and traffics). I need your help in suggestions on what I can
> > keep and what I should get. Please remember to keep the prices (U.S.;
> > Los Angeles, CA, USA; under $1K including taxes and whatever fees) low

> Motherboard and CPU for sure. Video card most likely, assuming yours is AGP
> and the new one is PCIe. RAM depending on compatibility.

Video card has to be replaced if I am changing the motherboard due to
AGP vs. PCIE. So, I am fine with this since it was expected.

> > One of my friends said AMD Athlon 64 X2 would be cheaper than Intel
> > Conroe Duo as for smiliar CPU speed, its motheboard, and 2 GB of RAM.
> > However, three people (two friends and a stranger) said I should go for
> > the new Intel CPU.

> For performance, the Core 2 Duo (NOT the Core duo!) is what you need. The
> Core 2 CPUs apparently run considerably cooler than AMDs. Compare prices
> with your AMD CPU of choice, and decide what you want and can afford.

OK.

> For gaming, an AMD FX (rather than X2) may be what you really want,
> depending on price and availability. You might be able to pick up a S939
> board and FX-55 (2.6 GHz, $200 range) or 57 (2.8 GHz, $400 range) cheaper
> than a new Core 2 setup. If you think you need dual-core for future games,
> look at the FX-60 (dual 2.6 GHz, $800 range).

Hmm, I see 200 bucks for FX (65 and 55). So, they're faster and better
than 64 x2? This was on pricewatch.com.
--

In alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 OldDog <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> <snip>
> >
> > One of my friends said AMD Athlon 64 X2 would be cheaper than Intel
> > Conroe Duo as for smiliar CPU speed, its motheboard, and 2 GB of RAM.

> Just because something is cheaper doesn't mean its best bang for your $.
> You need to get online and check out the benchmarks and then compare the
> prices.

That's the problem. All the reviews and benchmarks I see are for
high-end systems, high-end video cards, etc. I don't see any of the
medium range. Do you know the URLs for those? Again, the total cost of
my upgrade needs to be less than $1,000 (U.S.).

> > However, three people (two friends and a stranger) said I should go for
> > the new Intel CPU.

> Why? What was their reasoning behind this?

No reasons like this comment: "Core 2 Duo all the way." --one friend.
That is why I want to see if you guys agreed.

> >Also, please note that I am not buying the latest and
> > expensive stuff. If the products have been out for six months, I am fine
> > with it. Basically, I want old quality products, and not cheap quality
> > stuff that will break easily. At least I know they have plenty of
> > reviews, support, upgrades, quirks worked out, etc.
> >

> Waiting a few months to ensure new products aren't buggy is good pratice.
> The new Intel Core 2 Duo is coming up on six months pretty soon.

Yeah, and cheaper. I don't think I can wait that long since I won't
have time to research and upgrade at that time. Beside, something is
always coming out.

> <snip>
> >
> > I just have difficult times to find good articles, reports, etc. on not
> > high-end systems with old stuff and some new stuff.
> >

> Check out some of these links. While I've been a big AMD fan for years now,
> the Intel Core 2 Duo does look good. Plus, the cheapest Core 2 (E6300)
> seems to OC very easily and gets very nice results.

I forgot to mention that I am not planning to OC either, especially
with my room can be up to 90 degrees(F) during the heat waves.

> http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/10/cheap_thrills/
> http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/...s_summer_2006/
> http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

The interactive one was cool.

> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2802

> http://www.sharkyextreme.com/index.php
> http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardwar...261_3620036__8

> http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/core2/index.x?pg=1

> The above are CPU reviews. You can also use the above links to check out
> the Video cards to see which card is the best bang for your budget.

Thanks.
--
"Ants. There's a size for every picnic, a colour for every occasion, and
a bite to let you know that they are there. Apart from the bite, that
could describe a Basenji pretty well." --Len Reddie
/\___/\
( )

Shawk

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello!

Hello.

Take a look at the 'Your next computer upgrade' thread in CSIPGA dated
14th October. Two of us have just gone through what you're contemplating.

ANTant@zimage.com

In alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned Shawk <(E-Mail Removed).3guesses> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hello!

> Hello.

> Take a look at the 'Your next computer upgrade' thread in CSIPGA dated
> 14th October. Two of us have just gone through what you're contemplating.

Thanks. I will have to go download the older threads in this newsgroup
then.
--
"Ants. There's a size for every picnic, a colour for every occasion, and
a bite to let you know that they are there. Apart from the bite, that
could describe a Basenji pretty well." --Len Reddie
/\___/\
( )

JLC

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello!
>
> It is that time of the year again. My aging Athlon 64 3200+ (754 CPU)
> cannot handle the newest games (e.g., Call of Duty 2, Oblivion, Company
> of Heroes, etc.) smoothly with everything/most video options (16X
> anistropic, FSAA [usually turn this off these days, but would like to
> re-enable it for the upgraded system, etc.) cranked up at
> 1024x768/1152x864 (can't go higher unless I want to use 60hz on my old
> CRT monitor :P).

You can't go wrong buying from Newegg. I just built a new PC and all my
parts came from them. I got great deals, and over $100 worth of rebates on
the parts I bought.
You can read up on every part your looking for on Neweggs site.
The Intel E6600 is the best bang for your buck CPU on the market. This is
what I have and it kicks butt. But if you are going cheap, you might what to
stick with AMD just so you don't have to upgrade so many parts. The Core 2
Duo's need at lest DDR2 667 RAM. The best part about the C2D chips is that
they use so much less power, then the older Intel, and AMD chips. Anyway I'm
sure your going to get lots of advice, so that's my 2 cents worth. JLC