Help needed for Overclocking AMD 3800 CPU AM2 Socket!

hattongraham@yahoo.com.au

I have just bought an AM2 3800cpu and Asus M2V-TVM mobo, I have seen
reports of 3800s cranking out 2.7GHz, hell, I'd be happy with 2.2 or
2.4GHz.

Can someone give me advise on which parameters I need to adjust to
acheive this, I am running 512mb DDR2 ram infineon 667 and a 550watt
PSU.

I have noticed that most overclocking feeds have been for the 939
socket not the newby AM2?
Thanks Chaps!

Dylan C

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have just bought an AM2 3800cpu and Asus M2V-TVM mobo, I have seen
> reports of 3800s cranking out 2.7GHz, hell, I'd be happy with 2.2 or
> 2.4GHz.
>
> Can someone give me advise on which parameters I need to adjust to
> acheive this, I am running 512mb DDR2 ram infineon 667 and a 550watt
> PSU.
>
> I have noticed that most overclocking feeds have been for the 939
> socket not the newby AM2?
> Thanks Chaps!

I have a 939, but I believe the process is the same (only you should get
better results). Be aware that my setup isnt fully tweaked, as I havent
overclocked my ram.

First I dropped my HTT multiplier to 4x. depending on your MB it might
also be called LDT Multiplier.
Next I dropped the memory bus by using a divider of 5/6.
Last I started upping the FSB until I hit 240 MHz on the CPU. Final HTT
speed is 950MHz and memory is back to 200MHz but the CPU now runs at 2.4
GHz. I was able to leave my voltage at the stock setting, but you might
have to increase the voltage just a hair. Theoretiacally, 2.5 GHz (AM2
X2 5000+) should be possible.

-Dylan C

hattongraham@yahoo.com.au

Dylan C wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I have just bought an AM2 3800cpu and Asus M2V-TVM mobo, I have seen
> > reports of 3800s cranking out 2.7GHz, hell, I'd be happy with 2.2 or
> > 2.4GHz.
> >
> > Can someone give me advise on which parameters I need to adjust to
> > acheive this, I am running 512mb DDR2 ram infineon 667 and a 550watt
> > PSU.
> >
> > I have noticed that most overclocking feeds have been for the 939
> > socket not the newby AM2?
> > Thanks Chaps!
> >

> I have a 939, but I believe the process is the same (only you should get
> better results). Be aware that my setup isnt fully tweaked, as I havent
> overclocked my ram.
>
> First I dropped my HTT multiplier to 4x. depending on your MB it might
> also be called LDT Multiplier.
> Next I dropped the memory bus by using a divider of 5/6.
> Last I started upping the FSB until I hit 240 MHz on the CPU. Final HTT
> speed is 950MHz and memory is back to 200MHz but the CPU now runs at 2.4
> GHz. I was able to leave my voltage at the stock setting, but you might
> have to increase the voltage just a hair. Theoretiacally, 2.5 GHz (AM2
> X2 5000+) should be possible.
>
> -Dylan C

Dylan
Im having dificulty finding these things you mention, these are the
items I found of interest in my Bios setup utility
under chipset-northbridge-memory config I have memclock which can be
changed to 200/333/400/266MHz
Under MCT timing mode I have the following
CAS latency parameters are 3/4/5/6
TRAS parameters are 5 through to 12
TRP parameters are 3 through to 6
TRCD parameters are 3 through to 6
TRRD parameters are 2T through to 5T
TRC parameters are 11T through to 18T

Alternate VID is variable from 0.800V -1.050V
Hyper Transport Config K8/NPT to AGP Frequency is either 800 or 1000MHz
Linkwidth is either 8up and 8down or 16up and 16 down
VCore Voltage is either ignored option or 1.363V
multiplier is 10x and no parameters exist to change down

Your comments please!

Wes Newell

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 03:57:56 -0700, hattongraham wrote:

> I have just bought an AM2 3800cpu and Asus M2V-TVM mobo, I have seen
> reports of 3800s cranking out 2.7GHz, hell, I'd be happy with 2.2 or
> 2.4GHz.
>
> Can someone give me advise on which parameters I need to adjust to
> acheive this, I am running 512mb DDR2 ram infineon 667 and a 550watt
> PSU.

I assume you mean an X2 3800+. Unfortunately, after downloading and
looking at the manual for your board, I don't see any way to cange any of
the defaults, with the possible except of HT from 1000 down to 800. Might
try looking at the CPU Configuration section and see if there's more there
than the manual shows, but there's nothing in the manual for setting the
cpu frequency. Maybe a bios upgrade will get you something, but the
outlook isn't good at this time. I just recently upgraded to an AM2 X2
3800+ also using a GA-M55Plus-S3G MB. It has user settings for all you
need, HT, RAM, and CPU Frequency. I don't run overclocked but I did rasie
the clock from 200 to 233 for a quick test and surprisngly enough it ran
fine at 2330MHz without adjusting HT, vcore, or the ram. Would have
tried to max it out, but was in a hurry since this is my server and
MythTV main backend server also and I had shows to record. You may find
some external apps that will let you change the settings, or they may be
hidden in the bios. Good luck.

Eric Parker

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> I have just bought an AM2 3800cpu and Asus M2V-TVM mobo, I have

seen
> reports of 3800s cranking out 2.7GHz, hell, I'd be happy with 2.2

or
> 2.4GHz.
>
> Can someone give me advise on which parameters I need to adjust to
> acheive this, I am running 512mb DDR2 ram infineon 667 and a

550watt
> PSU.
>
> I have noticed that most overclocking feeds have been for the 939
> socket not the newby AM2?
> Thanks Chaps!

I recently built an Abit NF-95 system.
The bios support for overclocking was limited.
Within the bios I set the memory (DDR400) to run at DDR333 and HT to
4x(800).
Then within Windows XP I was able to use ClockGen
http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php
to dynamically adjust the clock and
use CrystalCPUID
http://crystalmark.info/software/Cry...D/index-e.html
to adjust Vcore.
I got a stable system at 2450Mhz.
I've left it running at 2400 now.
I can't say whether these would work with your Asus motherboard.

Eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly