Help - new PC doesn't have parallel port!

OhioGuy

I was just getting ready to connect my Samsung laser printer, when I
noticed my new PC doesn't have a parallel port at all! The printer only has
a parallel port cable.

I guess my choices would be to either:

1) buy a new printer
2) buy an adapter cable that would let me hook in to
a USB port
3) buy a PCI card with parallel port on it

I think #1 is out for now, because I'd rather keep using my printer until
it dies - which might be 2-3 years or more from now. #3 might be cheapest,
but would leave me with only 1 PCI slot available on the motherboard. If I
install the TV Tuner card I'm thinking of, then I won't have any available.

So can anyone recommend an adapter cable that would work for me, hopefully
under $10 shipped? Thanks!

Bob Eager

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 15:43:46 UTC, "OhioGuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I was just getting ready to connect my Samsung laser printer, when I
> noticed my new PC doesn't have a parallel port at all! The printer only has
> a parallel port cable.
>
> I guess my choices would be to either:
>
> 1) buy a new printer
> 2) buy an adapter cable that would let me hook in to
> a USB port
> 3) buy a PCI card with parallel port on it

Look on eBay for a print server. I got one with a heap of junk for about
$10 on eBay a while ago. Small box, parallel printer socket and an
ethernet socket. Plug into your network (or use a crossover cable if you
have one) and there you are.

--
Bob Eager
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:

Orggl Arhzn

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 11:43:46 -0400, "OhioGuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I was just getting ready to connect my Samsung laser printer, when I
>noticed my new PC doesn't have a parallel port at all! The printer only has
>a parallel port cable.
>
> I guess my choices would be to either:
>
>1) buy a new printer
>2) buy an adapter cable that would let me hook in to
> a USB port
>3) buy a PCI card with parallel port on it
>
> I think #1 is out for now, because I'd rather keep using my printer until
>it dies - which might be 2-3 years or more from now. #3 might be cheapest,
>but would leave me with only 1 PCI slot available on the motherboard. If I
>install the TV Tuner card I'm thinking of, then I won't have any available.
>
> So can anyone recommend an adapter cable that would work for me, hopefully
>under $10 shipped? Thanks!

Go to Dealextreme.com, they have every adapter and pci card you can
think of, as well as fans and so on, all of which work and free
shipping from HK. I just bought a fan for an old 9600XT and a
pci/4Xsata card, all for about $15.00.

Orggl

Arno Wagner

Previously OhioGuy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I was just getting ready to connect my Samsung laser printer, when I
> noticed my new PC doesn't have a parallel port at all! The printer only has
> a parallel port cable.

> I guess my choices would be to either:

> 1) buy a new printer
> 2) buy an adapter cable that would let me hook in to
> a USB port
> 3) buy a PCI card with parallel port on it

> I think #1 is out for now, because I'd rather keep using my printer until
> it dies - which might be 2-3 years or more from now. #3 might be cheapest,
> but would leave me with only 1 PCI slot available on the motherboard. If I
> install the TV Tuner card I'm thinking of, then I won't have any available.

> So can anyone recommend an adapter cable that would work for me, hopefully
> under $10 shipped? Thanks!

You will not get anything reliable for under $10 shipped.
Generally the PCI card is the best option with the least
risk of problems. The USB adapter is risky, but can work
fine. Same for a print-server, as other here advise.

Arno