Help with Nf7-s v2

James L Turner

Hell,
A couple of months ago I bought a new usb dvd drive, and pluged it in to on
of the usb ports and it took the number space of the usb drive that I've
been using to back-up my system. And the restore refuses to run it in the
new letter space. Can you help me with changing the letter of the drive?
Nothing is shown in the bios that I can change.

Hoping you might be able to help

jim

Bird Janitor«

James L Turner wrote:

| Hell,
| A couple of months ago I bought a new usb dvd drive, and pluged it in
| to on of the usb ports and it took the number space of the usb drive that
| I've been using to back-up my system. And the restore refuses to run
| it in the new letter space. Can you help me with changing the letter of
| the drive? Nothing is shown in the bios that I can change.
|
| Hoping you might be able to help
|
| jim

Hi Jim -

The BIOS has nothing to do with the drive letters that are assigned by
Windows.

Assuming you have Windows 2000 or XP, connect up the DVD drive and the drive
you've been using to run your backups. Then right-click on My Computer and
select Manage from the menu.

From there expand Storage and Disk Management.

On the right pane, right-click your DVD drive and choose the option to
change the drive letter. Change the drive assignment to something else.

Finally, right-click on the drive you use for your backups and change the
drive letter there as well.

Jef

GEORGE SHUMARD

Jef,

I've a similar problem with a USB connected hard drive on a NF7-S which
shows in Disk manager correctly but will not show in My Computer. Drive
works with lap-top and I can even read and write to it in DOS via the
Command Prompt on the NF7 machine. XP has all updates and MB is up to date
with drivers.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Geo

Bird Janitor«

GEORGE SHUMARD wrote:

| Jef,
|
| I've a similar problem with a USB connected hard drive on a NF7-S
| which shows in Disk manager correctly but will not show in My
| Computer. Drive works with lap-top and I can even read and write
| to it in DOS via the Command Prompt on the NF7 machine. XP has
| all updates and MB is up to date with drivers.
|
| Any suggestions would be appreciated.
|
| Geo

Hi Geo -

It's possible that the drive failed to enumerate on the USB controller.

Sometimes you can fix this by disconnecting everything USB from the computer
(other than Mouse and Keyboard, if these are USB, as you'll need them for
the following) then starting the system.

Go into Device Manager and expand the USB branch of the device tree.

Right-click on each item and select Uninstall from the menu. Repeat for
every item under the USB branch.

Reboot the computer when finished. The Add Hardware Wizard will redetect
all of your USB hubs and controllers (and keyboard and mouse, if these are
USB). When the Add Hardware Wizard has finished it's work, plug the USB
drive into the system. See if the computer will properly enumerate the
drive.

One question though: Does the drive have external power or is it powered by
the USB port? Reason I ask is that most drives will require more than the
500ma that is provided by the USB port in order to start. Many drives
powered by USB ports have a second USB connector that draws an additional
500ma from the motherboard in order to start the drive. I have a couple of
2.5" external drives that need both connectors or an external adapter in
order to start.

Jef

Airman Thunderbird

If XP, right-click 'My Computer' select 'Manage', select 'Disk
Management', right-click the desired drive, change the drive letter.

James L Turner wrote:
> Hell,
> A couple of months ago I bought a new usb dvd drive, and pluged it in to on
> of the usb ports and it took the number space of the usb drive that I've
> been using to back-up my system. And the restore refuses to run it in the
> new letter space. Can you help me with changing the letter of the drive?
> Nothing is shown in the bios that I can change.
>
> Hoping you might be able to help
>
> jim

GEORGE SHUMARD

Jef,

Thanks for the suggestions all of which I tried unsuccessfully. Finally
discovered my problem was with TWEAK UI in which I must have turned off all
the unused drive letters at the time which prevented Windows from seeing
them. Just reclicked the drive letter I had assigned to the Fantom and all
was right. Simple solution to a baffling problem.

Thanks for your help.

George

Bird Janitor«

GEORGE SHUMARD wrote:

| Jef,
|
| Thanks for the suggestions all of which I tried unsuccessfully.
| Finally discovered my problem was with TWEAK UI in which I
| must have turned off all the unused drive letters at the time which
| prevented Windows from seeing them. Just reclicked the drive
| letter I had assigned to the Fantom and all was right. Simple
| solution to a baffling problem.
|
| Thanks for your help.
|
| George

Hi George -

I think my brain is echoing... ;-}

Good that you post here as well as Abit's forum. I'll remember to suggest
looking at TweakUI when I come across someone with this problem again.

Jef

James L Turner

Thank very much I've been able to change the drive letters and solve my
problem.

Thank again

jim turner

"Bird Janitor«" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:VLZji.3968$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> James L Turner wrote:
> |
> | Hell,
> | A couple of months ago I bought a new usb dvd drive, and pluged it in
> | to on of the usb ports and it took the number space of the usb drive
> that
> | I've been using to back-up my system. And the restore refuses to run
> | it in the new letter space. Can you help me with changing the letter of
> | the drive? Nothing is shown in the bios that I can change.
> |
> | Hoping you might be able to help
> |
> | jim
> |

> Hi Jim -
>
> The BIOS has nothing to do with the drive letters that are assigned by
> Windows.
>
> Assuming you have Windows 2000 or XP, connect up the DVD drive and the
> drive
> you've been using to run your backups. Then right-click on My Computer
> and
> select Manage from the menu.
>
> From there expand Storage and Disk Management.
>
> On the right pane, right-click your DVD drive and choose the option to
> change the drive letter. Change the drive assignment to something else.
>
> Finally, right-click on the drive you use for your backups and change the
> drive letter there as well.
>
> Jef

cerco di comprare casa help help help help LOVEART Gateway 0 10-08-2005 01:33 PM
Help Help Help Help Help help me Hardware 0 07-11-2004 11:15 AM
HELP,HELP,HELP ToMi ATI 3 02-05-2004 11:53 PM
Help! Help! Help! sogs IBM 3 01-30-2004 03:05 AM
help! help! help! urgent! Jones Asus 1 12-08-2003 04:53 AM