Help overclocking AMD 64 (Hammer) 3500+

munmoe@gmail.com

Asus A7N8X MoBo with 200MHz clock,
Athlon 64 3500+ Hammer, CPU (939) chip-set 1800MHz 64K L1, 512k L2
(2) Gig of crucial PC3500 DDR SDRAM
3500 MB swap, 5500 MB virtual memory
Phoenix Award Bios v 6.0
Windows XP Pro SP3 (Updated)
Nivida Geforce 8600 GT (256MB) (PCIE)
on-board sound card
5 cooling fans via Enermax digital fan controller and temperature
monitor.

My benchmarks are not very impressive. I play Overlord, Sim City 4
Deluxe, Stronghold 3, The Settlers - Rise of empires, And the sims 2
with all the expansion packs installed.

I want to Overclock this baby!
If anyone has particular experience with my hardware and could lend a
hand, it would be very appreciative....

Ed Light

I have a Gigabyte nforce 3.

I overclocked my 3200+ Winchester (2.0 gig, 10x multiplier) 20% by
setting the clock to 240 (which raises the memory and hypertransport),
hypertransport down to 4x (4 x 240 = 960), memory down to 166 (= 196.4),
and had to raise the cpu voltage .05v for it to run constantly in
prime95 without an error.

Overclocking throws cool'n'quiet off so I had uninstalled that amd driver.

I could go a little higher but it gets hot then.
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.

Moe

Ed, My bios is locked. I cant change my clock speed or multipliers. Is
there any software or tweaks i can use to do this?

Paul

Moe wrote:
> Ed, My bios is locked. I cant change my clock speed or multipliers. Is
> there any software or tweaks i can use to do this?

Check the make and model of the motherboard again. And
post the details. If it is an Asus motherboard,
and not a microATX form factor, there is a good chance
the clock can be changed. With Asus, it helps to take
certain settings off "Auto" and change them to "Manual".
Then things like clocks become adjustable.

Paul

ShadowTek

Moe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:5f9ac14e-d3c6-4589-a1f5-7fc6e00948f4
@k7g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

> Ed, My bios is locked. I cant change my clock speed or multipliers. Is
> there any software or tweaks i can use to do this?

Did you build this yourself, or did you buy it prebuilt from a PC
manufacturer?

Ed Light

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Asus A7N8X MoBo with 200MHz clock,
> Athlon 64 3500+ Hammer, CPU (939) chip-set 1800MHz 64K L1, 512k L2

Slight problem. I looked up your manual at Asus and your board is socket
A, so it couldn't have a K8 (Athlon 64) cpu, or the Asus model # is wrong.

http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.

Moe

Please forgive, I made a mistake on mobo model. Its an Asus A8AE-LE
(SR1750NX). Darn windows ID showed wrong mobo. CPUZ straightened me
out.

Moe

> Did you build this yourself, or did you buy it prebuilt from a PC
> manufacturer?

Bought mobo from garage sale, bought CPU and RAM from new egg, Optical
drive, cooling system, Video card, 22" wide screen monitor from tiger
direct. And everything else was resurrected from dead machines.

Moe

> Did you build this yourself, or did you buy it prebuilt from a PC
> manufacturer?

Got mobo from garage sale. CPU and RAM from new egg. Optical,cooling,
Video from tiger direct. Rest from old rigs in closet.

Paul

Moe wrote:
> Please forgive, I made a mistake on mobo model. Its an Asus A8AE-LE
> (SR1750NX). Darn windows ID showed wrong mobo. CPUZ straightened me
> out.

So that is not just any old retail Asus board. It is an OEM
board. Such boards have restrictive BIOS sent with them (very
few features - most parameter are set automatically). The board
was part of an HP computer, and the motherboard was custom
manufactured for HP by Asus.

Amberine-M with an ATI chipsets ( RS482 / SB400 ).

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...eg_R1002_USEN#

I do not see an easy way to fix this. The key to
changing the clock now, would be the clock generator
chip to the left of the Northbridge heatsink. Some have
multiple bit inputs, and that is one way to select
canonical frequencies (download a datasheet, unsolder
and bend up certain pins, and program your own frequency).
You might get frequencies like 133,166,200,266 MHz and so on.
That is a bit coarse for overclocking purposes. Only
processors with large, known headroom, would be candidates
for a hack like that.

The clock generator chip also has a serial bus connection.
An example of a program that can access a clock generator
chip is Clockgen from cpuid.com. But Clockgen has a very
limited set of supported clock generator chips, and so even
if the program was still available, it most likely would not
help you. (Perhaps someone else can suggest a program like
Clockgen for you.)

I cannot even see a retail Asus motherboard, that matches the
design of your OEM board. So swapping the BIOS is also not
an option. There are very few Asus designs, that were alike
for both OEM and retail applications. When a board goes into
an HP computer, usually things like the SuperI/O get changed,
at the very least.

Since you say this is not a genuine HP computer, the solution
is simple. Find a motherboard that has better overclocking
options. A retail motherboard (one listed on one of the major
motherboard makers), is likely to be overclockable. But to be
sure, download the manual for the motherboard from the
manufacturer site. Virtually all retail motherboards, have
downloadable manuals, so you can study the feature set, before
committing dollars to them.

Sorry,
Paul