Help Please: Video driver, Windows 98/Me REBOOTING, Asus mainboard

Jeff Bernstein

My machine is set up to boot multiple OSs. I want to run the Lego
Mindstorms software and it's supposed to perform better in Windows
98/Me than NT/2000/XP. I set up a Windows Me partition, installed all
the patches, etc., then installed the nVidia Detonator drivers. Now
Windows craps out after the Windows logo screen appears.

I tried the same setup with Windows 98 but that would force a reboot
after the log screen appeared. The reboot would want to go into safe
mode since Windows didn't shut down properly (the reboot itself). I've
tried the older Detonator drivers and had the same problem.

Any ideas?

BTW, I'm running XP, Red Hat Linux, MS Dos, and FreeBSD and have no
problems. Just the frikkin' 98/Me stuff.

My machine is an Asus A7A266 mainboard with a GeForce3 Ti500 video
card. I've patched the BIOS of the mainboard to one revision below the
latest (the latest is only for faster processors).

Jeff

Shepİ

On 10 Sep 2003 15:22:27 -0700, In this world we created
(E-Mail Removed) (Jeff Bernstein) wrote :

>My machine is set up to boot multiple OSs. I want to run the Lego
>Mindstorms software and it's supposed to perform better in Windows
>98/Me than NT/2000/XP. I set up a Windows Me partition, installed all
>the patches, etc., then installed the nVidia Detonator drivers. Now
>Windows craps out after the Windows logo screen appears.
>
>I tried the same setup with Windows 98 but that would force a reboot
>after the log screen appeared. The reboot would want to go into safe
>mode since Windows didn't shut down properly (the reboot itself). I've
>tried the older Detonator drivers and had the same problem.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>BTW, I'm running XP, Red Hat Linux, MS Dos, and FreeBSD and have no
>problems. Just the frikkin' 98/Me stuff.
>
>My machine is an Asus A7A266 mainboard with a GeForce3 Ti500 video
>card. I've patched the BIOS of the mainboard to one revision below the
>latest (the latest is only for faster processors).
>
>Jeff

What if you try the game in XP and right click on
it/properties/Advanced and try a compatibility mode.Then you wouldn't
need Win98/ME?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

Sunny

"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 10 Sep 2003 15:22:27 -0700, In this world we created
> (E-Mail Removed) (Jeff Bernstein) wrote :
>
> >My machine is set up to boot multiple OSs. I want to run the Lego
> >Mindstorms software and it's supposed to perform better in Windows
> >98/Me than NT/2000/XP. I set up a Windows Me partition, installed all
> >the patches, etc., then installed the nVidia Detonator drivers. Now
> >Windows craps out after the Windows logo screen appears.
> >
> >I tried the same setup with Windows 98 but that would force a reboot
> >after the log screen appeared. The reboot would want to go into safe
> >mode since Windows didn't shut down properly (the reboot itself). I've
> >tried the older Detonator drivers and had the same problem.
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >
> >BTW, I'm running XP, Red Hat Linux, MS Dos, and FreeBSD and have no
> >problems. Just the frikkin' 98/Me stuff.
> >
> >My machine is an Asus A7A266 mainboard with a GeForce3 Ti500 video
> >card. I've patched the BIOS of the mainboard to one revision below the
> >latest (the latest is only for faster processors).
> >
> >Jeff

> What if you try the game in XP and right click on
> it/properties/Advanced and try a compatibility mode.Then you wouldn't
> need Win98/ME?

The "compatibility mode" has never worked for me on most older flight sims.
(back to WinME solved that problem though) :-)

Chimera

Jeff Bernstein wrote:
> My machine is set up to boot multiple OSs. I want to run the Lego
> Mindstorms software and it's supposed to perform better in Windows
> 98/Me than NT/2000/XP. I set up a Windows Me partition, installed all
> the patches, etc., then installed the nVidia Detonator drivers. Now
> Windows craps out after the Windows logo screen appears.
>
> I tried the same setup with Windows 98 but that would force a reboot
> after the log screen appeared. The reboot would want to go into safe
> mode since Windows didn't shut down properly (the reboot itself). I've
> tried the older Detonator drivers and had the same problem.
>
> Any ideas?

No solutions, but it seems to be some software (driver?) conflict. I'd
start with 98 as ME was a disaster OS. You'll have to be persistent, try
each item separately, and probably suffer a number of reinstalls before you
decide which patches/drivers/combinations are causing the conflicts. One
thing Ive found with windows is that the patches for old problems often
cause new problems. If you already run XP & RH, you probably only want this
OS for your lego work, so don't bother patching the OS, just disable
networking, use it for lego and when finished, switch back. The other
question comes to mind is how much slower is lego in XP? Everything runs
slower in XP, the OS is more hardware intensive.

daytripper

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 05:44:11 GMT, "Sunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On 10 Sep 2003 15:22:27 -0700, In this world we created
>> (E-Mail Removed) (Jeff Bernstein) wrote :
>>
>> >My machine is set up to boot multiple OSs. I want to run the Lego
>> >Mindstorms software and it's supposed to perform better in Windows
>> >98/Me than NT/2000/XP. I set up a Windows Me partition, installed all
>> >the patches, etc., then installed the nVidia Detonator drivers. Now
>> >Windows craps out after the Windows logo screen appears.
>> >
>> >I tried the same setup with Windows 98 but that would force a reboot
>> >after the log screen appeared. The reboot would want to go into safe
>> >mode since Windows didn't shut down properly (the reboot itself). I've
>> >tried the older Detonator drivers and had the same problem.
>> >
>> >Any ideas?
>> >
>> >BTW, I'm running XP, Red Hat Linux, MS Dos, and FreeBSD and have no
>> >problems. Just the frikkin' 98/Me stuff.
>> >
>> >My machine is an Asus A7A266 mainboard with a GeForce3 Ti500 video
>> >card. I've patched the BIOS of the mainboard to one revision below the
>> >latest (the latest is only for faster processors).
>> >
>> >Jeff

>> What if you try the game in XP and right click on
>> it/properties/Advanced and try a compatibility mode.Then you wouldn't
>> need Win98/ME?

>The "compatibility mode" has never worked for me on most older flight sims.
>(back to WinME solved that problem though) :-)

How much memory is in this system? More than 512MB?

Sunny

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:

> >"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news(E-Mail Removed).. .

> >> What if you try the game in XP and right click on
> >> it/properties/Advanced and try a compatibility mode.Then you wouldn't
> >> need Win98/ME?

> >The "compatibility mode" has never worked for me on most older flight

sims.
> >(back to WinME solved that problem though) :-)
> >

> How much memory is in this system? More than 512MB?

Nope, 512Mb plus the 128Mb ASUS card

kleefaj@optonline.net

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
daytripper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 05:44:11 GMT, "Sunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> On 10 Sep 2003 15:22:27 -0700, In this world we created
> >> (E-Mail Removed) (Jeff Bernstein) wrote :

<snip>

I set up a Windows Me partition, installed all

<snip>

> >> What if you try the game in XP and right click on
> >> it/properties/Advanced and try a compatibility mode.Then you wouldn't
> >> need Win98/ME?

> >The "compatibility mode" has never worked for me on most older flight sims.
> >(back to WinME solved that problem though) :-)
> >

> How much memory is in this system? More than 512MB?

256MB RAM.

kleefaj@optonline.net

In article <l6U7b.94041$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Chimera" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Jeff Bernstein wrote:
> > My machine is set up to boot multiple OSs. I want to run the Lego
> > Mindstorms software and it's supposed to perform better in Windows
> > 98/Me than NT/2000/XP. I set up a Windows Me partition, installed all
> > the patches, etc., then installed the nVidia Detonator drivers. Now
> > Windows craps out after the Windows logo screen appears.
> >
> > I tried the same setup with Windows 98 but that would force a reboot
> > after the log screen appeared. The reboot would want to go into safe
> > mode since Windows didn't shut down properly (the reboot itself). I've
> > tried the older Detonator drivers and had the same problem.
> >
> > Any ideas?

> No solutions, but it seems to be some software (driver?) conflict. I'd
> start with 98 as ME was a disaster OS. You'll have to be persistent, try
> each item separately, and probably suffer a number of reinstalls before you
> decide which patches/drivers/combinations are causing the conflicts. One
> thing Ive found with windows is that the patches for old problems often
> cause new problems. If you already run XP & RH, you probably only want this
> OS for your lego work, so don't bother patching the OS, just disable
> networking, use it for lego and when finished, switch back. The other
> question comes to mind is how much slower is lego in XP? Everything runs
> slower in XP, the OS is more hardware intensive.

It's not so much a performance issue as it's a compatibility issue. The
RIS program requires QuickTime 2 and 3 and I've had the program crash in
XP.

I'm able to use it in XP but I'd prefer the "stability" of ME. I
switched to ME from 98 since I was experiencing similar problems in 98.
It seems that whatever code base ME and 98 are built on they just don't
want to work w/ this driver.

Thanks.

Chimera

> It's not so much a performance issue as it's a compatibility issue. The
> RIS program requires QuickTime 2 and 3 and I've had the program crash in
> XP.
>
> I'm able to use it in XP but I'd prefer the "stability" of ME. I
> switched to ME from 98 since I was experiencing similar problems in 98.
> It seems that whatever code base ME and 98 are built on they just don't
> want to work w/ this driver.
>
> Thanks.

You have to expect the companies to focus on the current platforms when they
write the drivers. With any luck you'll figure out what the problem is

Shepİ

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 05:44:11 GMT, In this world we created "Sunny"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On 10 Sep 2003 15:22:27 -0700, In this world we created
>> (E-Mail Removed) (Jeff Bernstein) wrote :
>>
>> >My machine is set up to boot multiple OSs. I want to run the Lego
>> >Mindstorms software and it's supposed to perform better in Windows
>> >98/Me than NT/2000/XP. I set up a Windows Me partition, installed all
>> >the patches, etc., then installed the nVidia Detonator drivers. Now
>> >Windows craps out after the Windows logo screen appears.
>> >
>> >I tried the same setup with Windows 98 but that would force a reboot
>> >after the log screen appeared. The reboot would want to go into safe
>> >mode since Windows didn't shut down properly (the reboot itself). I've
>> >tried the older Detonator drivers and had the same problem.
>> >
>> >Any ideas?
>> >
>> >BTW, I'm running XP, Red Hat Linux, MS Dos, and FreeBSD and have no
>> >problems. Just the frikkin' 98/Me stuff.
>> >
>> >My machine is an Asus A7A266 mainboard with a GeForce3 Ti500 video
>> >card. I've patched the BIOS of the mainboard to one revision below the
>> >latest (the latest is only for faster processors).
>> >
>> >Jeff

>> What if you try the game in XP and right click on
>> it/properties/Advanced and try a compatibility mode.Then you wouldn't
>> need Win98/ME?

>The "compatibility mode" has never worked for me on most older flight sims.
>(back to WinME solved that problem though) :-)

Strange.I've not found a game that I use to not work in XP and that
includes the old Glquake.I prefer Win98Se though.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,