Help with reformatting hard drive

Nospam

I'm trying to reformat a 7.8 Gig hard drive on a Toshiba Tecra 8000. I've
started the computer with a boot disk and executed format c: /s. The program
checks for bad sectors and appears to reformat the HD, going through
percentages of completeness and then reporting that formitting is complete.
But when I shut down and restart, it's as if nothing changed--the computer
loads Windows as always. I've tried this now with two different boot disks.
The laptop is a PII 300, 192 Meg of RAM, and has W98SE. What am I doing
wrong? Thanks.
--
Please reply to newsgroup.

Michael Geary

> I'm trying to reformat a 7.8 Gig hard drive on a Toshiba Tecra 8000. I've
> started the computer with a boot disk and executed format c: /s. The

program
> checks for bad sectors and appears to reformat the HD, going through
> percentages of completeness and then reporting that formitting is

complete.
> But when I shut down and restart, it's as if nothing changed--the computer
> loads Windows as always. I've tried this now with two different boot

disks.
> The laptop is a PII 300, 192 Meg of RAM, and has W98SE. What am I doing
> wrong? Thanks.

I would use FDISK and delete all the existing partitions, then create a new
partition, make it the active partition, reboot, and format.

-Mike