Help restore Packard Bell I-Media 5055 from backup partition

Andrew Hodgson

Hi guys,

I have a Packard Bell Imedia 5505 which belongs to a family friend.
Originally, the system had a virus, and they took it to a computer
shop to fix the issue. The computer shop caused the system to crash,
and now, the system starts the bootloader, but gives several errors.

I have booted the system off a Linux CD, and managed to get all the
data from the system, and it looks like the shop had done a repair
install from a Windows XP disk.

They have no disks themselves, but on the HDD there is a small
partition, which I believe contains the preinstalled recovery image.

I downloaded a Packard Bell recovery boot disk from the website
yesterday, however, booting from this disk prompts me to insert a
master CD/DVD in the drive.

The KB articles on the website suggest you can press F11 at the prompt
to recover the image, but there is no such prompt. The bootloader on
this system looks to be the standard XP bootloader, which is
consistent with the shop repairing the machine with a standard XP
disk. On other recovery systems I have seen in the past, there is an
alternative bootloader installed by the recovery software.

Does anyone know how to boot to this recovery partition, or is it
better to just forget it and try and find a standard XP disk and use
the license from the sticker on the machine? Could you still order
recovery disks for a machine of around 4-5 years old?

Any help gratefully received.
Thanks,
Andrew.

Robert E. Watts

Hello Andrew !

I am not familiar with the exact machine you have, but........

Usually when it comes to "factory installed" software ( lately ) it is on a
"recovery
partition". Sometimes the procedure to access the recovery procedure is not
easy.

For example, on late model HP computers, you have to "Press the F10 key
REPEATEDLY" to access the recovery procedure. This is an exact comment from
HP, and they aren't kidding. Sometimes a mere 27 pounding attempts at the
F10 key isn't enough. :-)

Compaq and others are the same.

And you only get .07 seconds to do this at an exact instant in time when you
see the splash screen usually. If you have a monitor that doesn't warm up
fast enough, you will miss it.

If you can *see* a recovery partition, and it's good, you just have to find
and use the right procedure. However, I recently repaired a customers
computer that had a badly corrupted recovery partition, and nothing would
save it short of an Fdisk, format, and install of a new OS.

I'm guessing you're in England with a PB machine that new. (?)

Good luck.

bobwatts

--
boBWatts®©
EartH

"Andrew Hodgson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gn7gc3drbd18q3rim5f4lb5h02frp4e5e0@localhost. ..
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a Packard Bell Imedia 5505 which belongs to a family friend.
> Originally, the system had a virus, and they took it to a computer
> shop to fix the issue. The computer shop caused the system to crash,
> and now, the system starts the bootloader, but gives several errors.
>
> I have booted the system off a Linux CD, and managed to get all the
> data from the system, and it looks like the shop had done a repair
> install from a Windows XP disk.
>
> They have no disks themselves, but on the HDD there is a small
> partition, which I believe contains the preinstalled recovery image.
>
> I downloaded a Packard Bell recovery boot disk from the website
> yesterday, however, booting from this disk prompts me to insert a
> master CD/DVD in the drive.
>
> The KB articles on the website suggest you can press F11 at the prompt
> to recover the image, but there is no such prompt. The bootloader on
> this system looks to be the standard XP bootloader, which is
> consistent with the shop repairing the machine with a standard XP
> disk. On other recovery systems I have seen in the past, there is an
> alternative bootloader installed by the recovery software.
>
> Does anyone know how to boot to this recovery partition, or is it
> better to just forget it and try and find a standard XP disk and use
> the license from the sticker on the machine? Could you still order
> recovery disks for a machine of around 4-5 years old?
>
> Any help gratefully received.
> Thanks,
> Andrew.

Andrew Hodgson

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 12:19:00 -0400, "Robert E. Watts"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello Andrew !
>
>I am not familiar with the exact machine you have, but........
>
>Usually when it comes to "factory installed" software ( lately ) it is on a
>"recovery
>partition". Sometimes the procedure to access the recovery procedure is not
>easy.

Hi,

Digging around a bit further I find the recovery partition appears to
be blank (with a name of RESTDONE and the whole of the allocated
partition space free. I am guessing that either some master disks
were created at some point, at which point the system removed the data
from the backup partition, or the shop mangled the backup partition
during the XP repair.

I am going to ring Packard Bell tomorrow (yes, I am in the UK), but
suspect I will have to get an XP disk from somewhere, and use the code
on the case sticker.

Thanks.
Andrew.

metronid

On Aug 19, 1:45 pm, Andrew Hodgson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 12:19:00 -0400, "Robert E. Watts"
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Hello Andrew !

> >I am not familiar with the exact machine you have, but........

> >Usually when it comes to "factory installed" software ( lately ) it is on a
> >"recovery
> >partition". Sometimes the procedure to access the recovery procedure is not
> >easy.

> Hi,
>
> Digging around a bit further I find the recovery partition appears to
> be blank (with a name of RESTDONE and the whole of the allocated
> partition space free. I am guessing that either some master disks
> were created at some point, at which point the system removed the data
> from the backup partition, or the shop mangled the backup partition
> during the XP repair.
>
> I am going to ring Packard Bell tomorrow (yes, I am in the UK), but
> suspect I will have to get an XP disk from somewhere, and use the code
> on the case sticker.
>
> Thanks.
> Andrew.

If the restore partition were intact it should have its own loader and
gives the option of f11 or whatever on Boot I believe.
I could be wrong.
Just use a fresh XP CD and do an install.
Your only need will be drivers which are on the PB site.

Chances are the computer shop did a wipe clean .
Then reinstall.

Andrew Hodgson

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 15:12:17 -0700, metronid <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>If the restore partition were intact it should have its own loader and
>gives the option of f11 or whatever on Boot I believe.
>I could be wrong.
>Just use a fresh XP CD and do an install.
>Your only need will be drivers which are on the PB site.
>
>Chances are the computer shop did a wipe clean .
>Then reinstall.

The issue now is that the original system had Word and other goodies
on it which they want. I managed to order some restore disks for
around £35, which they agreed to pay, so will do the restore when they
get back.

Thanks.
Andrew.