Help! Sound card no longer giving any sound!

stardominion

I have a VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WMD) that suddenly stopped
working today on my Windows XP machine. I have not recently installed any
new windows updates or made any other software changes. The card stopped
working after I hooked up my new speakers to my motherboard. When I check
the device manager it says "This device is working properly." I tried
uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers but when I went to reinstall them I
received the error message "There was a problem installing this hardware:
Vinyl AC97 Codec Combo Drive. This device cannot start (code 10)." After
receiving that error I tried using System Restore to go back to an earlier
date but that did not correct the issue either. I installed a soundblaster
sound card thinking that the card was the issue. The card installed
properly but I still had no sound. Any suggestions?