Jim Donovan

I don't know where to send this, but I'll try here.

I have a laptop (Toshiba Satellite 1135-S155) with a 40 GB HD, 512 MB
RAM, Celeron (2.0 GHZ), running XP Pro with a built-in combo drive (DVD
player/CD-ROM/CD-RW). I wanted the ability to store more than 700MB of
data on a disk, so I purchased an Aopen DRW8800AAN drive and put it in
an external drive enclosure which hooks into one of my USB ports. Once
the disk was installed, the operating system recognized the new hardware
and installed the driver for it. Once installed, both the internal and
external disk drives can play a DVD, play a music CD, as well as read a
data CD, however, neither will now recognize a blank disk as blank and
recordable. Whenever I put in a blank disk, the disk designation (that
appears in Windows Explorer changes from "DVD/CD-RW Drive (D" or
"DVD-RW Drive (E" to "CD-ROM" and if you look at the properties of the
disk it says the same as if there was nothing in the drive (disk
completely full and not writable).

Has anyone got a clue as what I need to do to get this to work????

TIA.

Jim Donovan

"Jim Donovan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I don't know where to send this, but I'll try here.
>
> I have a laptop (Toshiba Satellite 1135-S155) with a 40 GB HD, 512 MB
> RAM, Celeron (2.0 GHZ), running XP Pro with a built-in combo drive (DVD
> player/CD-ROM/CD-RW). I wanted the ability to store more than 700MB of
> data on a disk, so I purchased an Aopen DRW8800AAN drive and put it in
> an external drive enclosure which hooks into one of my USB ports. Once
> the disk was installed, the operating system recognized the new hardware
> and installed the driver for it. Once installed, both the internal and
> external disk drives can play a DVD, play a music CD, as well as read a
> data CD, however, neither will now recognize a blank disk as blank and
> recordable. Whenever I put in a blank disk, the disk designation (that
> appears in Windows Explorer changes from "DVD/CD-RW Drive (D" or
> "DVD-RW Drive (E" to "CD-ROM" and if you look at the properties of the
> disk it says the same as if there was nothing in the drive (disk
> completely full and not writable).
>
> Has anyone got a clue as what I need to do to get this to work????
>
> TIA.
>
> Jim Donovan

This part probably doesn't matter, but make sure you have service pack 1
installed for XP. Then go to the laptops manufacturer website and get the
latest USB drivers. Once that is done, then try the drive again. If no-go,
then open the device manager and disable the CDRW drive and reboot. Some
systems just dont like 2 optical drives for some reason.

Chris

Jim Donovan

Chris,

Thanks for the help. Still no-go. I have gone to the Aopen website and
downloaded a list of supported media and will see if it is a media problem.
I'll let you know.

Thanks

Jim Donovan

c wrote:

> "Jim Donovan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I don't know where to send this, but I'll try here.
> >
> > I have a laptop (Toshiba Satellite 1135-S155) with a 40 GB HD, 512 MB
> > RAM, Celeron (2.0 GHZ), running XP Pro with a built-in combo drive (DVD
> > player/CD-ROM/CD-RW). I wanted the ability to store more than 700MB of
> > data on a disk, so I purchased an Aopen DRW8800AAN drive and put it in
> > an external drive enclosure which hooks into one of my USB ports. Once
> > the disk was installed, the operating system recognized the new hardware
> > and installed the driver for it. Once installed, both the internal and
> > external disk drives can play a DVD, play a music CD, as well as read a
> > data CD, however, neither will now recognize a blank disk as blank and
> > recordable. Whenever I put in a blank disk, the disk designation (that
> > appears in Windows Explorer changes from "DVD/CD-RW Drive (D" or
> > "DVD-RW Drive (E" to "CD-ROM" and if you look at the properties of the
> > disk it says the same as if there was nothing in the drive (disk
> > completely full and not writable).
> >
> > Has anyone got a clue as what I need to do to get this to work????
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > Jim Donovan
> >

> This part probably doesn't matter, but make sure you have service pack 1
> installed for XP. Then go to the laptops manufacturer website and get the
> latest USB drivers. Once that is done, then try the drive again. If no-go,
> then open the device manager and disable the CDRW drive and reboot. Some
> systems just dont like 2 optical drives for some reason.
>
> Chris

It really shouldn't be an issue. I use AOpen drives and sell them as well,
and have never had anyone say that they couldn't use a certain brand disk. I
usually buy the cheapest ones I can find and have never had an issue with
them myself. The fact that the drive status changes in the device manager
suggests that there may be a faulty drive. It won't hurt to try different
media either, but I have my doubts.

Good luck
Chris

"Jim Donovan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chris,
>
> Thanks for the help. Still no-go. I have gone to the Aopen website and
> downloaded a list of supported media and will see if it is a media

problem.
> I'll let you know.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim Donovan
>

> c wrote:
>
> > "Jim Donovan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I don't know where to send this, but I'll try here.
> > >
> > > I have a laptop (Toshiba Satellite 1135-S155) with a 40 GB HD, 512 MB
> > > RAM, Celeron (2.0 GHZ), running XP Pro with a built-in combo drive

(DVD
> > > player/CD-ROM/CD-RW). I wanted the ability to store more than 700MB

of
> > > data on a disk, so I purchased an Aopen DRW8800AAN drive and put it in
> > > an external drive enclosure which hooks into one of my USB ports.

Once
> > > the disk was installed, the operating system recognized the new

hardware
> > > and installed the driver for it. Once installed, both the internal

and
> > > external disk drives can play a DVD, play a music CD, as well as read

> > > data CD, however, neither will now recognize a blank disk as blank and
> > > recordable. Whenever I put in a blank disk, the disk designation

(that
> > > appears in Windows Explorer changes from "DVD/CD-RW Drive (D" or
> > > "DVD-RW Drive (E" to "CD-ROM" and if you look at the properties of

the
> > > disk it says the same as if there was nothing in the drive (disk
> > > completely full and not writable).
> > >
> > > Has anyone got a clue as what I need to do to get this to work????
> > >
> > > TIA.
> > >
> > > Jim Donovan
> > >

> > This part probably doesn't matter, but make sure you have service pack 1
> > installed for XP. Then go to the laptops manufacturer website and get

the
> > latest USB drivers. Once that is done, then try the drive again. If

no-go,
> > then open the device manager and disable the CDRW drive and reboot. Some
> > systems just dont like 2 optical drives for some reason.
> >
> > Chris

Jim Donovan

Chris,

No, it wasn't media. It was however a conflict between two versions of Nero.
One for the internal and one for the external. As soon as I got rid of both and
reloaded it, it works fine.

Thanks for all your input.

Jim

c wrote:

> It really shouldn't be an issue. I use AOpen drives and sell them as well,
> and have never had anyone say that they couldn't use a certain brand disk. I
> usually buy the cheapest ones I can find and have never had an issue with
> them myself. The fact that the drive status changes in the device manager
> suggests that there may be a faulty drive. It won't hurt to try different
> media either, but I have my doubts.
>
> Good luck
> Chris
>
> "Jim Donovan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Chris,
> >
> > Thanks for the help. Still no-go. I have gone to the Aopen website and
> > downloaded a list of supported media and will see if it is a media

> problem.
> > I'll let you know.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jim Donovan
> >

> > c wrote:
> >
> > > "Jim Donovan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> (DVD

> of

> Once

> hardware

> and

> (that

> the

> > > This part probably doesn't matter, but make sure you have service pack 1
> > > installed for XP. Then go to the laptops manufacturer website and get

> the
> > > latest USB drivers. Once that is done, then try the drive again. If

> no-go,
> > > then open the device manager and disable the CDRW drive and reboot. Some
> > > systems just dont like 2 optical drives for some reason.
> > >
> > > Chris

grevillep

In most cases when you put a blank CD in the burner, ONLY CD writing
software recognises it as a disk. Explorer will NOT see it. If you
have software that allows you to write direct from Explorer like InCD
to CD then you probably need a driver update.