Here come the price drops!!!

SniffinPopRocks

I've been holding on to my 3800+ venice waiting for this...I just ordered a
64 X2 3800 for 176.95 delivered!!
Hopefully I will be able to OC it to 2500 like my venice.

http://www.pcdirectsource.com/Item.cfm?ID=1893

If you dont trust the link, go to www.pricewatch.com and get to them from
there. They have a 5 star customer review rating with pricewatch so they're
legit. All there other core prices are in line with market standards, they
just got a great deal on the X2 3800.

There probably just jumping the gun on everyone else and all will be at this
price in a day or two.

Andrew MacPherson

(E-Mail Removed) (SniffinPopRocks) wrote:

> Hopefully I will be able to OC it to 2500 like my venice.

Shouldn't be a problem. I'll be interested to see if you can tell any
difference under normal conditions though, ie not burning a DVD in the
background or anything silly like that. I was hugely underwhelmed by my
x2 experience. Still, I was expecting to be underwhelmed, so maybe it
was a self-fulfilling prophesy. :-)

Andrew McP

SniffinPopRocks

"Andrew MacPherson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:memo.20060723131423.1136B@address_disguised.a ddress_disguised...
> (E-Mail Removed) (SniffinPopRocks) wrote:
>
>> Hopefully I will be able to OC it to 2500 like my venice.

> Shouldn't be a problem. I'll be interested to see if you can tell any
> difference under normal conditions though, ie not burning a DVD in the
> background or anything silly like that. I was hugely underwhelmed by my
> x2 experience. Still, I was expecting to be underwhelmed, so maybe it
> was a self-fulfilling prophesy. :-)
>
> Andrew McP

I do a lot of .par and .rar and burning, so, if I can now do both at the
same time, I think I'll see a huge difference, as is, a single rar extract
or par recovery brings anything else to it's knees.

Flow

"SniffinPopRocks" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:A6Kwg.57697$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Andrew MacPherson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:memo.20060723131423.1136B@address_disguised.a ddress_disguised...
> > (E-Mail Removed) (SniffinPopRocks) wrote:
> >
> >> Hopefully I will be able to OC it to 2500 like my venice.

> > Shouldn't be a problem. I'll be interested to see if you can tell any
> > difference under normal conditions though, ie not burning a DVD in the
> > background or anything silly like that. I was hugely underwhelmed by my
> > x2 experience. Still, I was expecting to be underwhelmed, so maybe it
> > was a self-fulfilling prophesy. :-)
> >
> > Andrew McP
> >

> I do a lot of .par and .rar and burning, so, if I can now do both at the
> same time, I think I'll see a huge difference, as is, a single rar extract
> or par recovery brings anything else to it's knees.
>
>Indeed,you wil see an increase on that level.

However,the general consensus is that for gaming your venice outperforms the
x2 3800+.
Still,you don't mention that,so congratz on your purchase.
I noticed the price drop also here in holland.The x2 4600+ for the same
price I payed last year for my xp3800+ venice.
Which btw reaches 2.7Ghz as a max overclock.

BillL

"Flow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "SniffinPopRocks" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:A6Kwg.57697$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>> "Andrew MacPherson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:memo.20060723131423.1136B@address_disguised.a ddress_disguised...

>> > Shouldn't be a problem. I'll be interested to see if you can tell any
>> > difference under normal conditions though, ie not burning a DVD in the
>> > background or anything silly like that. I was hugely underwhelmed by my
>> > x2 experience. Still, I was expecting to be underwhelmed, so maybe it
>> > was a self-fulfilling prophesy. :-)
>> >
>> > Andrew McP
>> >

>> I do a lot of .par and .rar and burning, so, if I can now do both at the
>> same time, I think I'll see a huge difference, as is, a single rar
>> extract
>> or par recovery brings anything else to it's knees.
>>
>>Indeed,you wil see an increase on that level.

> However,the general consensus is that for gaming your venice outperforms
> the
> x2 3800+.
> Still,you don't mention that,so congratz on your purchase.
> I noticed the price drop also here in holland.The x2 4600+ for the same
> price I payed last year for my xp3800+ venice.
> Which btw reaches 2.7Ghz as a max overclock.

What if the game is coded for dual-core CPU's - e.g. Oblivion? Would the
Venice Core beat it then?

I'm tempted by the price cuts (particularly an X2 4400) but I'm also trying
to control my dam credit card habit and save for things .... soooo many
things to save for! ;o)

BillL

Kendt.Eklund@gmail.com

Andrew MacPherson wrote:

> Shouldn't be a problem. I'll be interested to see if you can tell any
> difference under normal conditions though, ie not burning a DVD in the
> background or anything silly like that. I was hugely underwhelmed by my
> x2 experience. Still, I was expecting to be underwhelmed, so maybe it
> was a self-fulfilling prophesy. :-)
>
> Andrew McP

Hey Andrew - I see you on alot of the same NG's, so I think we have
similar tastes in games.
I've got a single core Opteron that I've OC'd to 2.4 Ghz - have you not
seen any games that take advantage of your dual-core? I'd be losing
512k cache/core if I jumped on one of the cheaper 939 x2s, which may
balance out much of the Mhz gain I could get, especially if nothing
really utilizes the dual core properly. This is for a gaming-only
system, btw.

TIA,
Kendt

Andrew MacPherson

(E-Mail Removed) () wrote:

> have you not seen any games that take advantage of your
> dual-core?

Not personally, but then there aren't many games which *can* take
advantage yet. I don't think there will be many in the near future
either, because there's a limit to what you can do out of sequence in a
game. Sims like Falcon4, with a campaign engine separated from the main
game are the exception.

Andrew McP

PS I bought the x2 mainly for editing videos, where it can save quite a
bit of time in a long render.

Kendt.Eklund@gmail.com

Andrew MacPherson wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) () wrote:
>
> > have you not seen any games that take advantage of your
> > dual-core?

> Not personally, but then there aren't many games which *can* take
> advantage yet. I don't think there will be many in the near future
> either, because there's a limit to what you can do out of sequence in a
> game. Sims like Falcon4, with a campaign engine separated from the main
> game are the exception.
>
> Andrew McP
>
> PS I bought the x2 mainly for editing videos, where it can save quite a
> bit of time in a long render.

Thanks - I think I'll hold off for a bit. Sounds like for gaming it
makes sense to wait on dual-core until my next complete system upgrade.
Got a 2GB RAM upgrade instead .

Kendt

Flow

"BillL" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:kH6xg.106674$(E-Mail Removed) o.uk...

> "Flow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > "SniffinPopRocks" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> > news:A6Kwg.57697$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> >>
> >> "Andrew MacPherson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> >> news:memo.20060723131423.1136B@address_disguised.a ddress_disguised...

the

my

> >> I do a lot of .par and .rar and burning, so, if I can now do both at

the
> >> same time, I think I'll see a huge difference, as is, a single rar
> >> extract
> >> or par recovery brings anything else to it's knees.
> >>
> >>Indeed,you wil see an increase on that level.

> > However,the general consensus is that for gaming your venice outperforms
> > the
> > x2 3800+.
> > Still,you don't mention that,so congratz on your purchase.
> > I noticed the price drop also here in holland.The x2 4600+ for the same
> > price I payed last year for my xp3800+ venice.
> > Which btw reaches 2.7Ghz as a max overclock.
> >

> What if the game is coded for dual-core CPU's - e.g. Oblivion? Would the
> Venice Core beat it then?
>
> There is no game at present coded for dual core.When they come ofcourse

dual core cpu's will outperform single cores.
But by that time the x2 4800+ will be priced the same as x2 3800+ today.
Happy waiting for the dual core games :P

been there@nospam.com

On 25 Jul 2006 09:53:54 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Andrew MacPherson wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) () wrote:
>>
>> > have you not seen any games that take advantage of your
>> > dual-core?

>> Not personally, but then there aren't many games which *can* take
>> advantage yet. I don't think there will be many in the near future
>> either, because there's a limit to what you can do out of sequence in a
>> game. Sims like Falcon4, with a campaign engine separated from the main
>> game are the exception.
>>
>> Andrew McP
>>
>> PS I bought the x2 mainly for editing videos, where it can save quite a
>> bit of time in a long render.

>Thanks - I think I'll hold off for a bit. Sounds like for gaming it
>makes sense to wait on dual-core until my next complete system upgrade.
> Got a 2GB RAM upgrade instead .
>
>Kendt

Dual core is a nice idea, but like everything, it takes forever for
the technology to be really useful with the rest of the PC universe.
By the time it's ready for prime time, we'll be using quad core and
dual socket quad core designs. Newer motherboards will obsolete all
these old AMD cpu's. You can bet they'll torpedo anything without
DRM support.

The real power improvement was the basic athlon64 design with the
hypertransport buses and the on chip memory controller. I upgraded
from a 1.8Ghz 2800 to a 2.4Ghz 3400 and the difference was a yawn,
pretty much like the dual cores most of the time. The only real
boost for AMD is overclocking to 2.7 or 2.8Ghz and that's not much
of a rush for the trouble anyway.

Bottom line, all you ever needed was a socket 754 2800 1.8Ghz chip
with a gig of ram and a raptor.

come here loveu1life@gmail.com Laptops 0 12-04-2007 12:55 PM
J.J.O'Shea, come out, come out, wherever you are zara Apple 18 09-09-2007 12:15 AM
How come 160 GB HD don't come in 7300 rpm ? mm IBM Thinkpad 1 09-03-2007 12:24 PM
OT Come one, come all, meeting tonight at The PitŪ for the 13th step - HAL9000 Abit 30 03-24-2006 01:26 AM
Here come the power problems again Nada Nvidia 0 07-21-2004 02:23 PM