Heroichi (HEC) Orion HP585D (585 watts) PSU: Good or bad?

ANTant@zimage.com

Hello.

I need feedbacks on this PSU I borrowed from someone becayuse my old Enlight one died and I
needed a PSU fast to use the computer again. It is a Heroichi (HEC) Orion HP585D (585 watts).
You can view its details at http://www.hecgroupusa.com/product/43 ... I don't see many reviews
online. Should I keep it or get another PSU?

I am using a mini-tower Linux box that doesn't do much except as a backup/secondary
machine/workstation, some compilings, and a private SSH and X server. I don't game on it either.

Thank you in advance.
--
"... [Let us inquire] what glory there was in an omnipotent being torturing forever a puny little creature who could in no way defend himself? Would it be to the glory of a man to fry ants?" --Charlotte Perkins Gilman
/\___/\
( )

larry moe 'n curly

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I need feedbacks on this PSU I borrowed from someone becayuse my old Enlight one died and I
> needed a PSU fast to use the computer again. It is a Heroichi (HEC) Orion HP585D (585 watts).
> You can view its details at http://www.hecgroupusa.com/product/43 ... I don't see many reviews
> online. Should I keep it or get another PSU?

I wouldn't use that one because the Orion series is HEC's budget brand
and is pretty bad. Here's a mostly negative thread about a 486W model:

www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1015121

Notice how small its heatsinks are and the lack of any EMI filter
(parts are missing from the circuit board). Without an EMI filter, the
PSU can create tons of interference on AM radio and broadcast TV
(sometimes even cable TV). And expert Jonny Guru (www.jonnyguru.com)
pointed out that the high voltage filter capacitors are only 470 uF
each, very, very small for a 485W PSU without automatic power factor
correction (A-PFC). In comparison, here's a very good 300W PSU that
looks more substantial, despite being rated for only 300W:

http://static.flickr.com/38/75117436_1de7a3142d.jpg

If you want very good quality at low prices, look for Fortron-Source,
which also goes by brands like Sparkle, Hi-Q, PowerQ, Trend, and
Powertech (not Powertek). Most of their model numbers start with ATX
or FSP, but always verify by checking the UL certification number
(under the "RU" or "9U" symbol) at www.ul.com. Hi-Q and PowerQ are
budget models, but Fortron doesn't skimp much on quality for them,
except for using sleeve bearing fans.

A lot of the new Enlights are good because they're made by either
Enhance or Delta. Again, check the UL numbers.

ANTant@zimage.com

In alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt larry moe 'n curly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > I need feedbacks on this PSU I borrowed from someone becayuse my old Enlight one died and I
> > needed a PSU fast to use the computer again. It is a Heroichi (HEC) Orion HP585D (585 watts).
> > You can view its details at http://www.hecgroupusa.com/product/43 ... I don't see many reviews
> > online. Should I keep it or get another PSU?

> I wouldn't use that one because the Orion series is HEC's budget brand
> and is pretty bad. Here's a mostly negative thread about a 486W model:

> www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1015121

> Notice how small its heatsinks are and the lack of any EMI filter
> (parts are missing from the circuit board). Without an EMI filter, the
> PSU can create tons of interference on AM radio and broadcast TV
> (sometimes even cable TV). And expert Jonny Guru (www.jonnyguru.com)
> pointed out that the high voltage filter capacitors are only 470 uF
> each, very, very small for a 485W PSU without automatic power factor
> correction (A-PFC). In comparison, here's a very good 300W PSU that
> looks more substantial, despite being rated for only 300W:

> http://static.flickr.com/38/75117436_1de7a3142d.jpg

> If you want very good quality at low prices, look for Fortron-Source,
> which also goes by brands like Sparkle, Hi-Q, PowerQ, Trend, and
> Powertech (not Powertek). Most of their model numbers start with ATX
> or FSP, but always verify by checking the UL certification number
> (under the "RU" or "9U" symbol) at www.ul.com. Hi-Q and PowerQ are
> budget models, but Fortron doesn't skimp much on quality for them,
> except for using sleeve bearing fans.

> A lot of the new Enlights are good because they're made by either
> Enhance or Delta. Again, check the UL numbers.

Thanks. I will go get an Enlight or SeaSonic brand then. I am only trying thsi out since my
friend didn't have any other spare PSUs for me to use to get my box in action.
--
"... human societies send their young men to war, weaver-ant societies send their old ladies." --Wilson and Holldobler
/\___/\
( )

job

There's really nothing wrong with that PS.It's low cost SLI capable PS.

news:(E-Mail Removed) et...

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > > I need feedbacks on this PSU I borrowed from someone becayuse my old

Enlight one died and I
> > > needed a PSU fast to use the computer again. It is a Heroichi (HEC)

Orion HP585D (585 watts).
> > > You can view its details at http://www.hecgroupusa.com/product/43 ...

I don't see many reviews
> > > online. Should I keep it or get another PSU?

> > I wouldn't use that one because the Orion series is HEC's budget brand
> > and is pretty bad. Here's a mostly negative thread about a 486W model:

> > www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1015121

> > Notice how small its heatsinks are and the lack of any EMI filter
> > (parts are missing from the circuit board). Without an EMI filter, the
> > PSU can create tons of interference on AM radio and broadcast TV
> > (sometimes even cable TV). And expert Jonny Guru (www.jonnyguru.com)
> > pointed out that the high voltage filter capacitors are only 470 uF
> > each, very, very small for a 485W PSU without automatic power factor
> > correction (A-PFC). In comparison, here's a very good 300W PSU that
> > looks more substantial, despite being rated for only 300W:

> > http://static.flickr.com/38/75117436_1de7a3142d.jpg

> > If you want very good quality at low prices, look for Fortron-Source,
> > which also goes by brands like Sparkle, Hi-Q, PowerQ, Trend, and
> > Powertech (not Powertek). Most of their model numbers start with ATX
> > or FSP, but always verify by checking the UL certification number
> > (under the "RU" or "9U" symbol) at www.ul.com. Hi-Q and PowerQ are
> > budget models, but Fortron doesn't skimp much on quality for them,
> > except for using sleeve bearing fans.

> > A lot of the new Enlights are good because they're made by either
> > Enhance or Delta. Again, check the UL numbers.

> Thanks. I will go get an Enlight or SeaSonic brand then. I am only trying

thsi out since my
> friend didn't have any other spare PSUs for me to use to get my box in

action.
> --
> "... human societies send their young men to war, weaver-ant societies

send their old ladies." --Wilson and Holldobler
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
> | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
> \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
> ( )

job

"larry moe 'n curly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > I need feedbacks on this PSU I borrowed from someone becayuse my old

Enlight one died and I
> > needed a PSU fast to use the computer again. It is a Heroichi (HEC)

Orion HP585D (585 watts).
> > You can view its details at http://www.hecgroupusa.com/product/43 ... I

don't see many reviews
> > online. Should I keep it or get another PSU?

> I wouldn't use that one because the Orion series is HEC's budget brand
> and is pretty bad. Here's a mostly negative thread about a 486W model:
>

> www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1015121
>
> Notice how small its heatsinks are and the lack of any EMI filter
> (parts are missing from the circuit board). Without an EMI filter, the
> PSU can create tons of interference on AM radio and broadcast TV
> (sometimes even cable TV). And expert Jonny Guru (www.jonnyguru.com)
> pointed out that the high voltage filter capacitors are only 470 uF
> each, very, very small for a 485W PSU without automatic power factor
> correction (A-PFC). In comparison, here's a very good 300W PSU that
> looks more substantial, despite being rated for only 300W:
>
> http://static.flickr.com/38/75117436_1de7a3142d.jpg
>
> If you want very good quality at low prices, look for Fortron-Source,
> which also goes by brands like Sparkle, Hi-Q, PowerQ, Trend, and
> Powertech (not Powertek). Most of their model numbers start with ATX
> or FSP, but always verify by checking the UL certification number
> (under the "RU" or "9U" symbol) at www.ul.com. Hi-Q and PowerQ are
> budget models, but Fortron doesn't skimp much on quality for them,
> except for using sleeve bearing fans.
>
> A lot of the new Enlights are good because they're made by either
> Enhance or Delta. Again, check the UL numbers.

Scratch my last post.After looking closer I wouldn't trust this thing on any
system I wanted to have for awhile.I can't belive the numbers they claim
either. The $25 price tag is a trap.Beware.

Logan

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I need feedbacks on this PSU I borrowed from someone becayuse my old Enlight one died and I
> needed a PSU fast to use the computer again. It is a Heroichi (HEC) Orion HP585D (585 watts).
> You can view its details at http://www.hecgroupusa.com/product/43 ... I don't see many reviews
> online. Should I keep it or get another PSU?
>
> I am using a mini-tower Linux box that doesn't do much except as a backup/secondary
> machine/workstation, some compilings, and a private SSH and X server. I don't game on it either.
>
> Thank you in advance.

I've got one of those animals-could not be more pleased -- I think that
I purchased it from M-wave (www.mwave.com)- Bought mainly from the
vendor because they have a lot of items that I never heard of but always
seemed to perform well.

larry moe 'n curly

Logan wrote:

> I've got one of those animals-could not be more pleased -- I think that
> I purchased it from M-wave (www.mwave.com)- Bought mainly from the
> vendor because they have a lot of items that I never heard of but always
> seemed to perform well.

Please take a closer look at this 485W HEC Orion:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/593/orion33im.jpg

In addition to the lack of any EMI filter (I doubt it could have passed
mandatory FCC certification) and the small heatsinks and input filter
capacitors, there's only one choke on the output (donut coil in upper
right) rather than the usual two, meaning it could overheat and break
down at high power levels.

Even most bad PSUs work OK because few computers draw more than about
250W, but some 500W PSUs can barely put out even that much. HEC's
products vary greatly in quality, with their Orion series being their
worst and their Ace, Win, and Windmill lines being better. If your HEC
is an Orion, I suggest switching to something better, such as a
Fortron-Source.

kony

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 23:43:32 GMT, "job" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>There's really nothing wrong with that PS.It's low cost SLI capable PS.

If even remotely close relation to the hec orion 485d shown
in the prior link (also below), it's not even fit for a
basic all-integrated modern system based around AMD or Intel
CPUs, not with even one video card let alone 2.

Why would you state otherwise?
Do you have one?
Has it ran long enough to be appropriately qualified for
long term use? A candle burnt at both ends may burn
brighter, but leaves behind a mess as well as a far far
shorter life.

>> > I wouldn't use that one because the Orion series is HEC's budget brand
>> > and is pretty bad. Here's a mostly negative thread about a 486W model:

>> > www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1015121

kony

On 28 Jul 2006 22:55:41 -0700, "larry moe 'n curly"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Logan wrote:
>
>> I've got one of those animals-could not be more pleased -- I think that
>> I purchased it from M-wave (www.mwave.com)- Bought mainly from the
>> vendor because they have a lot of items that I never heard of but always
>> seemed to perform well.

>Please take a closer look at this 485W HEC Orion:
>
> http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/593/orion33im.jpg
>
>In addition to the lack of any EMI filter (I doubt it could have passed
>mandatory FCC certification) and the small heatsinks and input filter
>capacitors, there's only one choke on the output (donut coil in upper
>right) rather than the usual two, meaning it could overheat and break
>down at high power levels.
>
>Even most bad PSUs work OK because few computers draw more than about
>250W, but some 500W PSUs can barely put out even that much. HEC's
>products vary greatly in quality, with their Orion series being their
>worst and their Ace, Win, and Windmill lines being better. If your HEC
>is an Orion, I suggest switching to something better, such as a
>Fortron-Source.

Yep, the old Antecs were HEC and not too bad, though that
Antec PP303 HEC (300W) was built better than the above
linked pseudo-485W unit.

ANTant@zimage.com

In alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello.

> I need feedbacks on this PSU I borrowed from someone becayuse my old Enlight one died and I
> needed a PSU fast to use the computer again. It is a Heroichi (HEC) Orion HP585D (585 watts).
> You can view its details at http://www.hecgroupusa.com/product/43 ... I don't see many reviews
> online. Should I keep it or get another PSU?

> I am using a mini-tower Linux box that doesn't do much except as a backup/secondary
> machine/workstation, some compilings, and a private SSH and X server. I don't game on it either.

> Thank you in advance.

Due to bad comments about this PSU brand and model, I swapped the temporary PSU to an Antec
SmartPower SP-350 PSU (350 watts). I hope this one is a lot better.
--
"This is the ant. Treat it with respect. For it may very well be the next dominant lifeform of our planet." --Empire of the Ants movie
/\___/\
( )