Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

hi-speed usb device attached to non-Hi-Speed hub error connecting IPod to T40

 
 
n0sferatu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Hi

When I connect my IPod (latest gen) to my Thinkpad T40 (which I KNOW
has
USB2.0 ports) (running Win 2003), I get the above message.

When I look at Device Manager and list connections by type, I see many
USB
Hubs, and one USB Enhanced 2.0 Hub; the IPod is connected to one of the

other ones.

When I called IBM, they had me install a chipset driver. That didn't do

anything.

Then I uninstalled all the hubs other than the USB2.0, and my IPod
showed
up on USB2.0 on the next connect, but my external mouse (which also is
on
one of the other hubs) disappeared.

My questions:
1. How can I make my IPod always show up on the USB2.0 hub?
2. If this laptop's ports are supposed to be USB2.0, why would devices
show up on some USB1.1 hub anyway?


HH

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Doug Ellice
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2004, 12:54 AM
n0sferatu wrote:
> When I connect my IPod (latest gen) to my Thinkpad T40 (which I KNOW has
> USB2.0 ports) (running Win 2003), I get the above message.
>
> When I look at Device Manager and list connections by type, I see many USB
> Hubs, and one USB Enhanced 2.0 Hub; the IPod is connected to one of the
> other ones.



I think this might be Windows lying to us.

I have a similar problem. I connected a no-name powered USB hub to my
Dell desktop. I constantly get pop-up messages announcing that this
USB-2 device would work faster if it were connected to a high-speed port.

My computer doesn't have any USB-1 ports, I don't think.

When I click on the pop-up balloon, as invited, for more info, I also
see a chart listing many USB ports. Like yours, only one of my 8 is
listed as high-speed.

I'm convinced this is a Windows XP problem of some sort, and I ignore it.

Does your iPod work O.K. when you connect it, despite the pop-up "error"
message?

Doug
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Electrik Fan Club
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2004, 09:27 AM

"Doug Ellice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> n0sferatu wrote:
> > When I connect my IPod (latest gen) to my Thinkpad T40 (which I KNOW has
> > USB2.0 ports) (running Win 2003), I get the above message.
> >
> > When I look at Device Manager and list connections by type, I see many

USB
> > Hubs, and one USB Enhanced 2.0 Hub; the IPod is connected to one of the
> > other ones.

>
>
> I think this might be Windows lying to us.
>
> I have a similar problem. I connected a no-name powered USB hub to my
> Dell desktop. I constantly get pop-up messages announcing that this
> USB-2 device would work faster if it were connected to a high-speed port.
>
> My computer doesn't have any USB-1 ports, I don't think.
>


Yes it does.

> When I click on the pop-up balloon, as invited, for more info, I also
> see a chart listing many USB ports. Like yours, only one of my 8 is
> listed as high-speed.
>


The OHCI (USB1) ports are listed first (usually 2 ports to a root hub)

The EHCI (USB 2) port is the last one (usually as many ports as all the
above together.)

> I'm convinced this is a Windows XP problem of some sort, and I ignore it.
>
> Does your iPod work O.K. when you connect it, despite the pop-up "error"
> message?
>


Is this no-name hub of which you speak a true USB2 hub? Unfortunately,
because the USB2 specification contains an ambiguity, hub, peripheral and
motherboard manufacturers are able to sell devices as USB2 devices but that
do not support the 480 Mbps high speed mode.

Some devices are occasionally encountered which require a USB2 specific
driver to be loaded otherwise they default to USB1. I have no knowledge if
the iPod is one of these devices.

This effect can also be seen if the USB cable that you use is not up to
performing at USB2 speeds (or is too long). This could also be true of a
true USB2 hub that has marginal performance. If the data is sufficiently
corrupt, the USB system down trains to USB1 speeds.

I have also encountered the occasional device that works in one port, but
not in another. Try plugging into a different port.

HTH

Ian.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Newscene
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2004, 04:40 PM
I started having this problem using a USB 2.0 Hard Drive intermittantly back
in August. At first it would happen occasioanlly, then more often until
finally it happened every time

I tried all sorts of things and IBM tech support directed me to download and
install a Thinkpad specific update for Windows XP even though I already had
the IBM factory installed Windows XP --- they said try it, it can't hurt.

Back in October my battery charging circuit in the T40 fried itself and the
unit had to go in for a new systemboard. Since it came back I have not had
the USB problem again {knock on wood}.

I suggest that you report this to IBM and see if you can't get them to
replace the systemboard.

John



"n0sferatu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi
>
> When I connect my IPod (latest gen) to my Thinkpad T40 (which I KNOW
> has
> USB2.0 ports) (running Win 2003), I get the above message.
>
> When I look at Device Manager and list connections by type, I see many
> USB
> Hubs, and one USB Enhanced 2.0 Hub; the IPod is connected to one of the
>
> other ones.
>
> When I called IBM, they had me install a chipset driver. That didn't do
>
> anything.
>
> Then I uninstalled all the hubs other than the USB2.0, and my IPod
> showed
> up on USB2.0 on the next connect, but my external mouse (which also is
> on
> one of the other hubs) disappeared.
>
> My questions:
> 1. How can I make my IPod always show up on the USB2.0 hub?
> 2. If this laptop's ports are supposed to be USB2.0, why would devices
> show up on some USB1.1 hub anyway?
>
>
> HH
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
n0sferatu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2004, 12:01 AM
The IPod works, but it works at USB1.1 speeds, which is useless because
it takes eons to transfer a few songs.

 
Reply With Quote
 
n0sferatu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Oh crap. I hope this isn't it, it will be a pain in the ass to convince
them.

Right now, they're telling me they can't help because I am running
Windows 2003, which is not what they supplied me with.

HH

 
Reply With Quote
 
Angry American
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2004, 02:30 AM
Windows 2003 is a server OS. Since it comes out of the box with USB 2.0
support, my guess is you might have to enable the high speed interface.
Check your error logs, those will more than likely point you too the
problem. Server 2003 might not have detected your USB ports properly either,
something to check on. You should see in your device manager, under
Universal Serial Bus Controllers something listed as a USB 2.0 enhanced Host
Controller. Hopefully I have given you a couple of avenues to check out.

Dan

n0sferatu wrote:
> Oh crap. I hope this isn't it, it will be a pain in the ass to
> convince them.
>
> Right now, they're telling me they can't help because I am running
> Windows 2003, which is not what they supplied me with.
>
> HH



 
Reply With Quote
 
n0sferatu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2004, 07:46 PM
Angry Dan

I see the USB2.0 Enhanced Host controller in my Device Manager. The
IPod somehow always connects to the other ones, which seem to not be
2.0.

How do you enable hi speed interface?

HH

 
Reply With Quote
 
Angry American
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2004, 08:27 PM
IF you see it in your Device Manager, then it is there. Check your error
logs, see if the system is throwing up an error when you plug in the IPod.
Start/Settings/Control
Panel, then Administrative tools/Computer Management. Look Under the event
viewer, and read your logs.

Dan

n0sferatu wrote:
> Angry Dan
>
> I see the USB2.0 Enhanced Host controller in my Device Manager. The
> IPod somehow always connects to the other ones, which seem to not be
> 2.0.
>
> How do you enable hi speed interface?
>
> HH



 
Reply With Quote
 
Song Li
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2004, 08:45 PM

"n0sferatu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Angry Dan
>
> I see the USB2.0 Enhanced Host controller in my Device Manager. The
> IPod somehow always connects to the other ones, which seem to not be
> 2.0.
>
> How do you enable hi speed interface?
>
> HH
>

I have a TP41, and the USB2.0 ports worked correctly for a year, then
stopped working properly a couple months ago. I'm not sure if it was XP
service pack 2, or a BIOS or chipset update. I uninstalled SP2, and still
have the problem. Tried removing all the USB drivers and re-installing, but
still have problems. Sometimes devices aren't recognized, other times
they're recognized, but the TP thinks it has 1.1 ports instead of 2.0.

I think we may be out of luck until IBM and/or Microsoft figure this out.
Did you update the BIOS or chipset firmware recently?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi-Speed USB Device Attached to non-Hi-Speed Hub? Jeff Ingram Dell 15 04-20-2005 11:44 AM
hi-speed usb device attached to non-Hi-Speed hub error connecting IPod to T40 n0sferatu IBM Thinkpad 9 12-06-2004 09:25 PM
Hi-speed USB device plugged into non-hi-speed USB hub DmsTech MSI 4 08-30-2004 09:48 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:16 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment