High Pitched Hum

Derek Lawler

I have a Dell Dimension 2200 that I have been using for about eight years.
Yesterday it developed this high pitched hum and I would like to know if
there is something I should be doing about it. What might be causing this
noise? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Derek

Ben Myers

On 12/4/2010 10:24 PM, Derek Lawler wrote:
> I have a Dell Dimension 2200 that I have been using for about eight years.
> Yesterday it developed this high pitched hum and I would like to know if
> there is something I should be doing about it. What might be causing this
> noise? Thanks for any help you can offer.
> Derek

Something that is constantly rotating can cause a hum. Three
possibilities come to mind:

1. fan inside power supply
2. processor cooling fan
3. hard drive

If the hard drive seems to be otherwise OK and the system seems to
respond normally, rule out the drive.

My bet is that some dust or dirt got into the bearings of one of the
fans. Best possibility is to get a can of compressed air and blast air
inside the power supply and at the processor cooling fan. You should
open up the case to do this, and, while there, inspect the inside for
any accumulation of dust and dirt... Ben Myers

Bob Villa

On Dec 4, 10:55*pm, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 12/4/2010 10:24 PM, Derek Lawler wrote:
>
> > I have a Dell Dimension 2200 that I have been using for about eight years.
> > Yesterday it developed this high pitched hum and I would like to know if
> > there is something I should be doing about it. What might be causing this
> > noise? *Thanks for any help you can offer.
> > Derek

> Something that is constantly rotating can cause a hum. *Three
> possibilities come to mind:
>
> 1. fan inside power supply
> 2. processor cooling fan
> 3. hard drive
>
> If the hard drive seems to be otherwise OK and the system seems to
> respond normally, rule out the drive.
>
> My bet is that some dust or dirt got into the bearings of one of the
> fans. *Best possibility is to get a can of compressed air and blast air
> inside the power supply and at the processor cooling fan. *You should
> open up the case to do this, and, while there, inspect the inside for
> any accumulation of dust and dirt... Ben Myers

One caution on spraying...if it condenses or frosts on a board or its
components...let it dry-up before booting.

Bob Villa

On Dec 5, 12:09*pm, "Timothy Daniels" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Ben Myers" wrote:
> > Derek Lawler wrote:
> >> I have a Dell Dimension 2200 that I have been using for about eight years.
> >> Yesterday it developed this high pitched hum and I would like to know if
> >> there is something I should be doing about it. What might be causing this
> >> noise? *Thanks for any help you can offer.
> >> Derek

> > [....]
> > My bet is that some dust or dirt got into the bearings of one of the fans. *Best possibility is to get a can of
> > compressed air and blast air inside the power supply and at the processor cooling fan. *You should open up the case to
> > do this, and, while there, inspect the inside for any accumulation of dust and dirt... Ben Myers

> * * Try holding you hand over the exhaust ports of the power supply fan
> and the case fan to see if the pitch of the "hum" changes. *If the PC has
> internal fans, e.g. CPU and/or GPU fans., you could *partially* block the
> intake of one of them at a time with a strip of tape to see if the pitch of
> the "hum" changes. *(Don't run it for long in that condition, though.)
>
> * * I'd clean off the fan blades with moist Q-Tips to avoid over-revving
> the fan and to get off all the grime which starts the dust accumulation.
> I use an electric air compressor to clean out the inside of my PC's case,
> and I hold a vacuum cleaner hose nearby to catch the cloud of dust that
> it blasts loose.
>
> * * Somehow, though, the thought of a high-pitched "hum" (whine?)
> says "hard drive bearings". *I'd back up the hard drive as soon as
> possible. *Try loosening the HD's mounting screws to reduce the
> physical coupling between the HD and the case to hear if the "hum"
> reduces in volume.
>
> *TimDaniels*
>
> *TimDaniels*

You could unplug the HDD if suspected and try to boot to eliminate it
as the culprit.

Derek Lawler

"Derek Lawler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Dell Dimension 2200 that I have been using for about eight years.
>Yesterday it developed this high pitched hum and I would like to know if
>there is something I should be doing about it. What might be causing this
>noise? Thanks for any help you can offer.
> Derek

Thanks for the suggestions. I took the cover off the tower and vacuumed the
inside. I am thinking it is probably the bearings in the hard drive. What
can I do about that, other than back it up and install a new hard drive. Is
that possible and at the same time save all my data?
Derek

Ben Myers

On 12/6/2010 3:30 PM, Timothy Daniels wrote:
> "Derek Lawler" wrote:
>>
>> "Derek Lawler" wrote:
>>> I have a Dell Dimension 2200 that I have been using for about eight years. Yesterday it developed this high pitched
>>> hum and I would like to know if there is something I should be doing about it. What might be causing this noise?
>>> Thanks for any help you can offer.
>>> Derek

>> Thanks for the suggestions. I took the cover off the tower and vacuumed the inside. I am thinking it is probably the
>> bearings in the hard drive. What can I do about that, other than back it up and install a new hard drive. Is that
>> possible and at the same time save all my data?
>> Derek

> Hard drives are cheap, now. And major manufacturers make cloning
> utilities available via download from their websites that will work for their
> brand. Just pop in a new hard drive, clone the old HD to it, and then put
> the new hard drive on the old HD's data cable, and away you go.
>
> *TimDaniels*

Definitely, if the whine is coming from the hard drive, replace it.

If the hard drive manufacturer's utility does not work or is not
available, use CloneZilla. You can download an ISO file to burn onto a
CD, then boot and run it from there... Ben Myers

Bob Villa

On Dec 8, 2:12*pm, Jim Higgins <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Why don't you turn the computer off, unplug the power connector from
> the hard drive, and then turn it back on and see if you hear the hum?
> That will tell you whether it's the hard drive.

I covered this point...maybe you block responses from GGroups?

Re: My On Board Audio Is Emitting A High Pitched Hum braceup@yahoo.com Asus 2 06-08-2008 07:47 PM
My On Board Sound Card Is Emitting A High Pitched Hum braceup@yahoo.com Asus 5 05-24-2008 04:59 PM
A high pitched whine on IC7 Magog Abit 5 07-10-2003 01:17 PM
high pitched noise after computer runs for 20 mins. jbclem Asus 8 07-06-2003 11:47 PM
new MSI K7N2 Delta has high pitched noise coming fom network jack when data is transferring NotGiven Asus 0 07-05-2003 03:16 PM