Homebuilt VS HP

creAtive oBscura

I'm trying to help a friend figure out the best system for him and
right now its hard to decide if we should go with a system that I can
build for him from newegg.com or this HP from amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...Fencoding=UTF8

The HP for $719 + S/H which is about $32 :
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor
250 GB hard drive
1 GB of RAM
LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
9-in-1 memory card reader
ATI Radeon XPress 200 video card with up to 128 MB of shared video RAM
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Mouse/Keyboard

The system from newegg.com $772.85 + S/H which is about $55 :
Microsoft Windows XP Home
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
Drive
1 GB of RAM
LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
52-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader
430W Power Supply
Geforce 6200TC supporting 256MB
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Motherboard

I kinda prefer the XP Home vs the MCE just because we don't need it.
Any input on what you think would be the better idea would be
appreciated, thanks.

JSV

butthead

On 19 Apr 2006 20:22:55 -0700, "creAtive oBscura"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm trying to help a friend figure out the best system for him and
>right now its hard to decide if we should go with a system that I can
>build for him from newegg.com or this HP from amazon.com

heheheheheh... look beavis, he said HP. heheheheh...

Scotter

The newegg system looks to be a better performer and would probably be more
easy to upgrade from what I hear of HP.

--
Scotter
Tyan Thunder K8WE
"creAtive oBscura" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I'm trying to help a friend figure out the best system for him and
> right now its hard to decide if we should go with a system that I can
> build for him from newegg.com or this HP from amazon.com
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...Fencoding=UTF8
>
> The HP for $719 + S/H which is about $32 :
> AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor
> 250 GB hard drive
> 1 GB of RAM
> LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
> 9-in-1 memory card reader
> ATI Radeon XPress 200 video card with up to 128 MB of shared video RAM
> Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
> Mouse/Keyboard
>
> The system from newegg.com $772.85 + S/H which is about $55 :
> Microsoft Windows XP Home
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
> Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
> Drive
> 1 GB of RAM
> LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
> 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader
> 430W Power Supply
> Geforce 6200TC supporting 256MB
> Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Motherboard
>
> I kinda prefer the XP Home vs the MCE just because we don't need it.
> Any input on what you think would be the better idea would be
> appreciated, thanks.
>
> JSV

Peter van der Goes

"creAtive oBscura" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I'm trying to help a friend figure out the best system for him and
> right now its hard to decide if we should go with a system that I can
> build for him from newegg.com or this HP from amazon.com
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...Fencoding=UTF8
>
> The HP for $719 + S/H which is about $32 :
> AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor
> 250 GB hard drive
> 1 GB of RAM
> LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
> 9-in-1 memory card reader
> ATI Radeon XPress 200 video card with up to 128 MB of shared video RAM
> Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
> Mouse/Keyboard
>
> The system from newegg.com $772.85 + S/H which is about $55 :
> Microsoft Windows XP Home
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
> Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
> Drive
> 1 GB of RAM
> LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
> 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader
> 430W Power Supply
> Geforce 6200TC supporting 256MB
> Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Motherboard
>
> I kinda prefer the XP Home vs the MCE just because we don't need it.
> Any input on what you think would be the better idea would be
> appreciated, thanks.
>
> JSV

Does you friend intend to play games?
I ask, because both the HP and your video choice (depending on the specific
6200TC card selected) use shared memory. For a little more, you can get a
card with a full compliment of video memory.
What types of software will your friend be using?
Answers to these types of questions drive component choices.
In general, my *opinion* is that you're better off building the PC from
known components, rather than purchasing a "price point" PC from a
manufacturer with a not-so-hot reputation for quality and support. With the
components, you know exactly what you have, and (having assembled the PC)
how to deal with it.

By selecting a retail motherboard, you get full BIOS features for better
control and upgradeability. Whatever motherboard the HP uses will have a
bare bones BIOS without many of the adjustments available in the retail
board.

All this presupposes that you and/or your friend are comfortable with the
assembly process.

Art

"creAtive oBscura" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I'm trying to help a friend figure out the best system for him and
> right now its hard to decide if we should go with a system that I can
> build for him from newegg.com or this HP from amazon.com
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...Fencoding=UTF8
>
> The HP for $719 + S/H which is about $32 :
> AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor
> 250 GB hard drive
> 1 GB of RAM
> LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
> 9-in-1 memory card reader
> ATI Radeon XPress 200 video card with up to 128 MB of shared video RAM
> Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
> Mouse/Keyboard
>
> The system from newegg.com $772.85 + S/H which is about $55 :
> Microsoft Windows XP Home
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
> Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
> Drive
> 1 GB of RAM
> LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
> 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader
> 430W Power Supply
> Geforce 6200TC supporting 256MB
> Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Motherboard
>
> I kinda prefer the XP Home vs the MCE just because we don't need it.
> Any input on what you think would be the better idea would be
> appreciated, thanks.
>
> JSV

One more thing to consider... which may or may not be an issue. Once you
build it, you own support for it. Your friend will be calling you everytime
he can't do what he wants to on it. With some folks that's not an issue,
with some it is. I built quite a few for friends and stopped that because
all I was getting was phone calls like "I just got this software and it
won't work on the computer..." Even though I didn't buy the software or
recommend it, they thought I needed to work on it because it was "the
computer I built for them". If you buy from HP or Dell (moreso my
recommendation) they call them every time, not you.

Just my .02. YMMV.

Art

Hawk

"creAtive oBscura" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I'm trying to help a friend figure out the best system for him and
> right now its hard to decide if we should go with a system that I can
> build for him from newegg.com or this HP from amazon.com
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...Fencoding=UTF8
>
> The HP for $719 + S/H which is about $32 :
> AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor
> 250 GB hard drive
> 1 GB of RAM
> LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
> 9-in-1 memory card reader
> ATI Radeon XPress 200 video card with up to 128 MB of shared video RAM
> Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
> Mouse/Keyboard
>
> The system from newegg.com $772.85 + S/H which is about $55 :
> Microsoft Windows XP Home
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
> Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
> Drive
> 1 GB of RAM
> LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
> 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader
> 430W Power Supply
> Geforce 6200TC supporting 256MB
> Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Motherboard
>
> I kinda prefer the XP Home vs the MCE just because we don't need it.
> Any input on what you think would be the better idea would be
> appreciated, thanks.

IMHO it is not worthing building a mid-low end pc yourself (especially when you
need an OS and monitor). The only way you save any significant cash is when you
are building something a bit closer to the bleeding edge, as that is where all the
margin is in the OEM pc business.

As an example...my latest system build cost me $1350 (case, ps, and all internal
components). A system with identical specs as configured on the Alienware site
was over $2100 (neither price included a monitor). I bought a 7900GT Superclock,
2G of RAM, AMD X2, Antec case, etc...

If HP is offering essentially similar performance/bigger HD for less money with a
full warranty, I'd buy the HP.

I am assuming that since you are not buying higher end components you are not
worried about the slimmed down bios configurability inherent in an off the shelf
pc. If you demand full and complete control of every tweakable option pertaining
to clock speeds, memory timing, etc you will not want to buy an HP, Dell, etc.

It is also nice that HP has already ironed out any potential problems that you
sometimes have to deal with when building a system yourself.

(*>

VanShania

From Hardocp, may help with your decision

On the Intel platform you need at least a 3.2 GHz to overcome CPU
bottlenecking in games. If you have anything slower than 3.2GHz, your CPU
may be holding back the performance of your video card. We saw absolutely no
benefit to the faster Front Side Bus of the Pentium 4 3.4 EE in games. For
all intents and purposes you will get the same gameplay experience out of a
3.4 EE as you will a 3.2 D.

The AMD Athlon 64 processors provide a slightly better gaming experience
than the Intel Pentium 4 and Pentium series processors. We found that
sometimes even the AMD Athlon 64 3800+ will bottleneck your video card. In
most of our gameplay testing though, the AMD Athlon 64 3800+ did not
bottleneck our video cards at all allowing our GPUs to reach their full
potential. There were literally no real gameplay advantages between an
Athlon FX-60 and Athlon X2 4800+ in our testing.

We have to give a nudge in the direction of the AMD AthlonT 64 line of
processors in real-world gaming. The AMD AthlonT 64 series of processors are
likely to provide the more serious gamer with a better experience.

Obviously the differences we have seen here are not as exaggerated as those
you might see elsewhere using canned and synthetic benchmarks. In fact
real-world gaming shows a different story than will be told by benchmarks
alone and that is exactly why we use real-world gameplay in our evaluations.

Yes, both Intel and AMD make good processors for playing 3D games, and don't
let anyone else tell you otherwise. We have also done incredible amounts of
gaming on OEM systems that are powered by both Intel and AMD CPUs in our [H]
Consumer desktop system evaluations that will show you both Intel and AMD
are good for gaming.

For our readers that don't live and die by whether or not they got in 4
hours on a Counter Strike Source server after work, and simply want solid
gaming action on a newer mid or high end video card, an AMD Athlon 64
running at 2.0GHz or Intel Pentium at 3GHz will likely meet your needs. Be
aware that as your Intel CPUs start dropping below 3GHz and your AMD CPUs
below 2GHz, you are likely going to see it negatively impact your system's
gaming ability depending on your video card.

For our died-in-the-wool gamers that are spending a few hundred dollars or
more on your high end video cards, make sure your AMD Athlon 64 processors
are at least 2.4GHz in processor speed, and your Intel processors clock in
at least at the 3.2GHz mark. If you let your CPUs fall below these levels,
odds are that you are not using your GPU to its fullest ability.

--
GA-K8NSC-939 nForce3, A64 3500+, Stock Cooler IdleTemp 28 C
2 Gb Dual Channel PC3200 OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5 CL2.5

3DMark 05 Free Scores- Overall 1815, Cpu 4535
Max Performance Graphic Settings, 1024X768

Games I'm Playing- Battlezone II, IL-2 Sturmovick Series
Empire Earth 2, Need For Speed: Underground
2,
Civ IV

"creAtive oBscura" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I'm trying to help a friend figure out the best system for him and
> right now its hard to decide if we should go with a system that I can
> build for him from newegg.com or this HP from amazon.com
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...Fencoding=UTF8
>
> The HP for $719 + S/H which is about $32 :
> AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor
> 250 GB hard drive
> 1 GB of RAM
> LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
> 9-in-1 memory card reader
> ATI Radeon XPress 200 video card with up to 128 MB of shared video RAM
> Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
> Mouse/Keyboard
>
> The system from newegg.com $772.85 + S/H which is about $55 :
> Microsoft Windows XP Home
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
> Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
> Drive
> 1 GB of RAM
> LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
> 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader
> 430W Power Supply
> Geforce 6200TC supporting 256MB
> Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Motherboard
>
> I kinda prefer the XP Home vs the MCE just because we don't need it.
> Any input on what you think would be the better idea would be
> appreciated, thanks.
>
> JSV

Dylan C

Art wrote:
> One more thing to consider... which may or may not be an issue. Once you
> build it, you own support for it. Your friend will be calling you everytime
> he can't do what he wants to on it. With some folks that's not an issue,
> with some it is. I built quite a few for friends and stopped that because
> all I was getting was phone calls like "I just got this software and it
> won't work on the computer..." Even though I didn't buy the software or
> recommend it, they thought I needed to work on it because it was "the
> computer I built for them". If you buy from HP or Dell (moreso my
> recommendation) they call them every time, not you.
>
> Just my .02. YMMV.
>
> Art

You speak the truth. I build all my own but always recommend
off-the-shelf for my friends and family because I don't need them
calling me evertime they mess something up. Also, for for budget
systems its near impossible to beat the price of an HP or Dell. Between
the two, I recommend Dells.

-Dylan C

Fishface

creAtive oBscura wrote:
> The HP for $719 + S/H which is about $32 :
> AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor

I hope you realize that this is not an X2 processor--
it is a single core that runs at 2.4GHz. The X2 has
dual cores that run at 2GHz. Since this *is* the
overclocking group, I feel compelled to say that
you could overclock a processor costing half the
price to the level of that in the HP system, using
the money saved to buy a better graphics card.
This assumes that games are to be played. If not,
liquor is nice...

VanShania

It actually looks like the system from newegg is the better one. Vid card is
cheap but its better than that onboard crap hp has. Don't forget to check
out places like Falcon Northwest, Voodoo pc. Dealing with places like dell
and maybe hp, your stuck with them because only their parts will fit.

--
GA-K8NSC-939 nForce3, A64 3500+, Stock Cooler IdleTemp 28 C
2 Gb Dual Channel PC3200 OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5 CL2.5
ATI All-in-Wonder 9600XT
Moniter-Viewsonic A91f 19in
PATA WD 80+120 Gb HD 8mb buffers
Pioneer 110D+Liteon 1693S Dual Layer burner
Logitech MX 310 Optical Mouse
Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 Joystick
Microsoft ergonomic keyboard
Thermaltake Midtower with noname 350 Watt PSU
Cheap computer speakers with Sennheiser HD 477 Headphones

3DMark 05 Free Scores- Overall 1815, Cpu 4535
Max Performance Graphic Settings, 1024X768

Games I'm Playing-
Battlezone II, IL-2 Sturmovick Series
Empire Earth 2, Need For Speed: Underground 2,
Civ IV

"creAtive oBscura" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I'm trying to help a friend figure out the best system for him and
> right now its hard to decide if we should go with a system that I can
> build for him from newegg.com or this HP from amazon.com
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...Fencoding=UTF8
>
> The HP for $719 + S/H which is about $32 :
> AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor
> 250 GB hard drive
> 1 GB of RAM
> LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
> 9-in-1 memory card reader
> ATI Radeon XPress 200 video card with up to 128 MB of shared video RAM
> Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
> Mouse/Keyboard
>
> The system from newegg.com $772.85 + S/H which is about $55 :
> Microsoft Windows XP Home
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
> Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
> Drive
> 1 GB of RAM
> LightScribe multi-format DVD/CD burner with dual-layer support
> 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader
> 430W Power Supply
> Geforce 6200TC supporting 256MB
> Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Motherboard
>
> I kinda prefer the XP Home vs the MCE just because we don't need it.
> Any input on what you think would be the better idea would be
> appreciated, thanks.
>
> JSV

migrating seagate dat from pws620 to homebuilt Michael Roper Dell 20 09-22-2006 04:39 PM
Homebuilt VS HP creAtive oBscura Asus 5 04-26-2006 12:26 AM
intel.microprocessors.pentium, comp.sys.intel, comp.hardware, alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt, alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, alt.comp.mainboards.abit J Higbee Intel 3 06-24-2004 03:03 PM
intel.microprocessors.pentium, comp.sys.intel, comp.hardware, alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt, alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, alt.comp.mainboards.abit J Higbee Hardware 3 06-24-2004 03:03 PM
New homebuilt PC running WindowsXP and 98 freezes constantly Sabyasachi Basu PC Hardware 26 10-29-2003 12:27 PM