Hooking it to a home theatre system?

Jim

Can I get the 5.1 to play back through my preamp? If so any details would
be appreciated.

Jim

Sorry I should have been more specific. I'm talking about something with
some detail on getting the Surround Sound from an Audigy or Audigy2 to a
standard receiver or preamp with DTS/AC3/Dolby surround sound input. Would
it support an optical connection? If so what cable did you buy.

> Can I get the 5.1 to play back through my preamp? If so any details would
> be appreciated.

Lenny

> Sorry I should have been more specific. I'm talking about something with
> some detail on getting the Surround Sound from an Audigy or Audigy2 to a
> standard receiver or preamp with DTS/AC3/Dolby surround sound input.

Would
> it support an optical connection?

No, these cards have coax outputs, though curiously not through a coax RCA
plug, but a 3.5mm headphone jack instead. You could use any mono coax cable,
with an RCA-to-headphone conversion plug at one end

Also note, with a digital connection, you are limited to Dolby Digital/DTS
in *pre-encoded* material only! The soundcard cannot encode these sound
standards in realtime, so you won't get multichannel sound in normal windows
programs/games. Spdif interface only has bandwidth for two uncompressed
channels, unfortunately.