Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Hot, Hot Prescott

 
 
Wilfred Xavier Pickles
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-14-2009, 07:59 PM

I have a little desktop system built around an Intel D865GVHZ (socket-478)
motherboard with a Celeron 345 3.06GHz Prescott cpu. W2k sp4, speedfan,
cpuz, AVG, Kerio, AdAware, Spybot S&D, etc.

Like all Prescott-core cpu's, it's always run hot. I had to
uninstall Intel Active Monitor as the alarms were driving me up the
wall. Also had to cease running Spybot scans because it ramped cpu
to 100% for an extended period so the cpu temp approached 80 C.

Was running Win Defrag the other day, noticed cpu at 100% and temp
at 82 C (per Speedfan). I have no idea why the ordinarily i/o-bound
defrag was using a consistent 100% of cpu, but I figure the 82 C was
definitely in the ballpark for melting the 0's into 1's.

There are 4 fans in the mini-tower case. All were working fine when I
cleaned and checked previous to the 82 C. defrag reading.

Has anyone had problems with the accuracy of a temp sensor on an
Intel D865Gxxx board?

My multiplier is locked. Setting priority has no effect so long as
cpu cycles are available.

Any idea re how I might slow the cycle speed so I can run certain
cpu intensive programs?

Thx,
Will
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert Myers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-14-2009, 11:52 PM
On Aug 14, 3:59*pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> I have a little desktop system built around an Intel D865GVHZ (socket-478)
> motherboard with a Celeron 345 3.06GHz Prescott cpu. W2k sp4, speedfan,
> cpuz, AVG, Kerio, AdAware, Spybot S&D, etc.
>
> Like all Prescott-core cpu's, it's always run hot. I had to
> uninstall Intel Active Monitor as the alarms were driving me up the
> wall. Also had to cease running Spybot scans because it ramped cpu
> to 100% for an extended period so the cpu temp approached 80 C.
>
> Was running Win Defrag the other day, noticed cpu at 100% and temp
> at 82 C (per Speedfan). I have no idea why the ordinarily i/o-bound
> defrag was using a consistent 100% of cpu, but I figure the 82 C was
> definitely in the ballpark for melting the 0's into 1's.
>
> There are 4 fans in the mini-tower case. All were working fine when I
> cleaned and checked previous to the 82 C. defrag reading.
>
> Has anyone had problems with the accuracy of a temp sensor on an
> Intel D865Gxxx board?
>
> My multiplier is locked. Setting priority has no effect so long as
> cpu cycles are available.
>
> Any idea re how I might slow the cycle speed so I can run certain
> cpu intensive programs?
>

Have you considered the dumpster option?

There are so many deals on new, used, or refurbished computers with
plenty of muscle and none of Prescott's problems.

I have a 3.0 GHz Northwood doing gofer duties (email, etc.). Surely
there must be someone who wants to get rid of one.

Robert.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert Brereton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2009, 03:17 PM

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> I have a little desktop system built around an Intel D865GVHZ (socket-478)
> motherboard with a Celeron 345 3.06GHz Prescott cpu. W2k sp4, speedfan,
> cpuz, AVG, Kerio, AdAware, Spybot S&D, etc.
>
> Like all Prescott-core cpu's, it's always run hot. I had to
> uninstall Intel Active Monitor as the alarms were driving me up the
> wall. Also had to cease running Spybot scans because it ramped cpu
> to 100% for an extended period so the cpu temp approached 80 C.
>
> Was running Win Defrag the other day, noticed cpu at 100% and temp
> at 82 C (per Speedfan). I have no idea why the ordinarily i/o-bound
> defrag was using a consistent 100% of cpu, but I figure the 82 C was
> definitely in the ballpark for melting the 0's into 1's.
>
> There are 4 fans in the mini-tower case. All were working fine when I
> cleaned and checked previous to the 82 C. defrag reading.
>
> Has anyone had problems with the accuracy of a temp sensor on an
> Intel D865Gxxx board?
>
> My multiplier is locked. Setting priority has no effect so long as
> cpu cycles are available.
>
> Any idea re how I might slow the cycle speed so I can run certain
> cpu intensive programs?
>
> Thx,
> Will


If you are in the UK then eBuyer still have some skt 478 Northwood CPU's on
sale.

Bob


 
Reply With Quote
 
Wilfred Xavier Pickles
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2009, 07:32 PM
On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:52:38 -0700 (PDT), Robert Myers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have you considered the dumpster option?


This (and perhaps all) Prescotts surely, surely qualify for such.

Kinda hate to spend any $ on it. Not at all certain it's the cpu
and not the temp sensor, but ...

>There are so many deals on new, used, or refurbished computers with
>plenty of muscle and none of Prescott's problems.
>
>I have a 3.0 GHz Northwood doing gofer duties (email, etc.). Surely
>there must be someone who wants to get rid of one.


The manual sez:

The board is designed to support the following:
Intel Pentium 4 processors in an mPGA478 processor socket with a 400/533/800 MHz system
bus
Intel Celeron processors in an mPGA478 processor socket with a 400 MHz system bus
See the Intel web site listed below for the most up-to-date list of supported processors.
For information about Refer to
Supported processors for the D865GVHZ board
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/hz/hz_proc.htm

And, of course, the fine, fine Intel URL sez "Page Not Found". :-)
Actual table is:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../CS-026964.htm

Doesn't distinguish between Prescott and Northwood. Due to the
"Board Revision note", I suppose I'd have to open the case just to
determine which Northwood would definitely suffice.

Not much impressed with Intel product/support these days.

Thx,
Will
 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Myers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2009, 08:05 PM
On Aug 15, 3:32*pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Doesn't distinguish between Prescott and Northwood. Due to the
> "Board Revision note", I suppose I'd have to open the case just to
> determine which Northwood would definitely suffice.


According to Pricewatch, a 3Ghz Northwood (512K cache) can be had for
about $30. It seems unlikely to me that there would be an
incompatibility problem Prescott->Northwood. More likely the other
way around.

At $30, what you are risking mostly is your time. I *hate* installing
heatsinks, but, if were in a mood to fiddle, I'd risk it and be
prepared to throw the whole mess away if it went sour for some
reason. If it works, you'll recoup your investment in saved electric
bills within a year.

> Not much impressed with Intel product/support these days.


That's a shame. Intel Core i7 920 is one of the most implausible
bargains I've ever seen. You can buy them for $200. No wonder Intel
is going to stop making them with three memory channels.

Intel is pretty hostile to hardware hackers. That's a fact. They
don't really want you as a customer all that much, unless you're going
to buy more of their motherboards and chipsets each time you buy one
of their processors. I don't think they really want people like you
and me combing through their documents so as to get it right. AMD, on
the other hand, knows that losing programmers with screwdrivers would
be a big loss.

As a blunder in the marketplace, Prescott really stands out (exceeded
only by Itanium because of the relative investments). I suspect that
most of those chips went into machines that sat at deskside doing
almost nothing all day, so no one that mattered (i.e.; corporate
buyers, naive home users) noticed what a dog it was. Intel didn't
really get away with one there, but they didn't get hurt as badly as
they might have.

In the end, right now Intel has the better product, no matter how much
of a dog Prescott was.

Robert.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: HOT HOT HOT BoB AOpen 1 11-02-2003 12:20 PM
Re: HOT HOT HOT BoB Asus 1 11-02-2003 12:20 PM
Virus Virus Virus, Was: HOT HOT HOT Don Taylor Abit 0 11-01-2003 11:23 PM
Re: HOT HOT HOT David H. Lipman AOpen 0 11-01-2003 09:58 PM
Re: HOT HOT HOT David H. Lipman Chaintech 0 11-01-2003 09:58 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment