How hot should Core 2 Duo E6600 be in a desktop??

Phil

At this point, I think it's fair to conclude that your board is faulty. RMA
that sucker.

-phil

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Thanks.
> Downloaded Throttlewatch and it shows the correct speed at idle and at
> 8%. So I do not think it is throttling down.
>
> MSI told me the mobo may have a bad DIGICELL chip. But when I read some
> other posts on their forum it says other people are getting wrong temp
> readings from their CoreCenter utilities, PCAlert and that
> DualCorCenter does not run for some (including me).
>
> Thanks
>
> Patty
>
> Phil wrote:
>> Yeah, you may need to get that board replaced. If your CPU was truly 92C,
>> it
>> would throttle down or simply shut itself down. Download Throttlewatch:
>>
>> http://www.panopsys.com/downloads/Th...atch_2_0_1.zip
>>
>> This app will tell if the CPU is being throttled-down.
>>
>> -phil
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> >
>> > Well Thermal analysis tanked with an error message. Various MSI
>> > utilities showed the same abnormal temperatures as Speedfan.
>> > I will call up MSI tomorrow and see what gives as compared to the Core
>> > Temp tool.
>> > Core temp gives a good reading.
>> > Something is amiss somewhere.
>> > Will take it into CompUSA if this keeps up as it is getting on my
>> > nerves now.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Patty

pattyjamas@hotmail.com

Went into System BIOS of MSI and it said there was no CPU fan but I
have one and it is running. Must not recognize it.

The CPU temp in BIOS said it was 59C while Core temp program in Windows
XP went up to about 50C and back down to 47/44

So perhaps the MSI utils are not working at all.

Thanks
Patty

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Thanks.
> Downloaded Throttlewatch and it shows the correct speed at idle and at
> 8%. So I do not think it is throttling down.
>
> MSI told me the mobo may have a bad DIGICELL chip. But when I read some
> other posts on their forum it says other people are getting wrong temp
> readings from their CoreCenter utilities, PCAlert and that
> DualCorCenter does not run for some (including me).
>
> Thanks
>
> Patty
>
> Phil wrote:
> > Yeah, you may need to get that board replaced. If your CPU was truly 92C, it
> > would throttle down or simply shut itself down. Download Throttlewatch:
> >
> > http://www.panopsys.com/downloads/Th...atch_2_0_1.zip
> >
> > This app will tell if the CPU is being throttled-down.
> >
> > -phil
> >
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > >
> > > Well Thermal analysis tanked with an error message. Various MSI
> > > utilities showed the same abnormal temperatures as Speedfan.
> > > I will call up MSI tomorrow and see what gives as compared to the Core
> > > Temp tool.
> > > Core temp gives a good reading.
> > > Something is amiss somewhere.
> > > Will take it into CompUSA if this keeps up as it is getting on my
> > > nerves now.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Patty

Phil

AS I explained earlier, the BIOS reading and the core temp readings are not
measured at the same spot on the CPU die, and come from different sensors.
It is certainly normal for the BIOS to report a different temp than
CoreTemp, but it's usually lower. I do agree that your board is suspicious,
and worthy of being replaced.

-phil

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Went into System BIOS of MSI and it said there was no CPU fan but I
> have one and it is running. Must not recognize it.
>
> The CPU temp in BIOS said it was 59C while Core temp program in Windows
> XP went up to about 50C and back down to 47/44
>
> So perhaps the MSI utils are not working at all.
>
> Thanks
> Patty
>

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Thanks.
>> Downloaded Throttlewatch and it shows the correct speed at idle and at
>> 8%. So I do not think it is throttling down.
>>
>> MSI told me the mobo may have a bad DIGICELL chip. But when I read some
>> other posts on their forum it says other people are getting wrong temp
>> readings from their CoreCenter utilities, PCAlert and that
>> DualCorCenter does not run for some (including me).
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Patty
>>
>> Phil wrote:
>> > Yeah, you may need to get that board replaced. If your CPU was truly
>> > 92C, it
>> > would throttle down or simply shut itself down. Download Throttlewatch:
>> >
>> > http://www.panopsys.com/downloads/Th...atch_2_0_1.zip
>> >
>> > This app will tell if the CPU is being throttled-down.
>> >
>> > -phil
>> >
>> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

pattyjamas@hotmail.com

Oh, yet another replacement. Perhaps so darn it.

Under load am getting a CPU temp with Core Temp of 78/75C. Perhaps
there is another brand board with 975 chipset (not sure what that buys
me though) that I can try that can accommodate a CPU Core 2 Duo.
Thoughts? I am going to give up on this crappy board. Any Gigabyte,
ASUS or others that are more stable than this?

Thanks, Patty

Ideas????
Phil wrote:
> AS I explained earlier, the BIOS reading and the core temp readings are not
> measured at the same spot on the CPU die, and come from different sensors.
> It is certainly normal for the BIOS to report a different temp than
> CoreTemp, but it's usually lower. I do agree that your board is suspicious,
> and worthy of being replaced.
>
> -phil
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Went into System BIOS of MSI and it said there was no CPU fan but I
> > have one and it is running. Must not recognize it.
> >
> > The CPU temp in BIOS said it was 59C while Core temp program in Windows
> > XP went up to about 50C and back down to 47/44
> >
> > So perhaps the MSI utils are not working at all.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Patty
> >

> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> Thanks.
> >> Downloaded Throttlewatch and it shows the correct speed at idle and at
> >> 8%. So I do not think it is throttling down.
> >>
> >> MSI told me the mobo may have a bad DIGICELL chip. But when I read some
> >> other posts on their forum it says other people are getting wrong temp
> >> readings from their CoreCenter utilities, PCAlert and that
> >> DualCorCenter does not run for some (including me).
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Patty

Barry Watzman

Basically, you have a choice of 975 boards at about $250 or 965 boards
at about $150. The big things that you get with the 975 boards are the
ability to support dual video boards (Crossfire/SLI), the ability to
support more serious RAID arrays and on some boards onboard WiFi. The
other differences are more or less straightforward feature differences.
The Asus P5B (which I think has been replaced by the P5B-E) and the
Gigaabyte GA-965P-DS3 (which I am using) are both solid, perfectly
acceptable (if somewhat boring) 965 motherboards.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Oh, yet another replacement. Perhaps so darn it.
>
> Under load am getting a CPU temp with Core Temp of 78/75C. Perhaps
> there is another brand board with 975 chipset (not sure what that buys
> me though) that I can try that can accommodate a CPU Core 2 Duo.
> Thoughts? I am going to give up on this crappy board. Any Gigabyte,
> ASUS or others that are more stable than this?
>
> Thanks, Patty
>
> Ideas????

Ron Krebs

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Basically, you have a choice of 975 boards at about $250 or 965 boards at
> about $150. The big things that you get with the 975 boards are the
> ability to support dual video boards (Crossfire/SLI), the ability to
> support more serious RAID arrays and on some boards onboard WiFi. The
> other differences are more or less straightforward feature differences.
> The Asus P5B (which I think has been replaced by the P5B-E) and the
> Gigaabyte GA-965P-DS3 (which I am using) are both solid, perfectly
> acceptable (if somewhat boring) 965 motherboards.

In addition to what BW has mentioned here, it is also important to note that
most people will buy a board to match their personality. And by Barry's own
admission here, we begin to see that this theory has merit. : P

Ron

p.s.: just kiddin' Barry

RichH

I just got my feet wet with some Asus Core2 Duo boards and am not
happy. I'm having opposite but similar problems -- motherboard temps
too high (over 45-50C @ idle in a very cool house). I have 2 of
these, so it's just not one board. Running the Asus P5B-VM w/E6400
chips & 1 gig ram. Did latest bios updates. On one board, the CPU
fan runs so low as to cause alarms (around 600 rpm). On the other
board it runs around 1700 rpm with the exact same settings. It's not
the fan 'cause if I turn fan management off, they both run the same
speed (using Intel stock fans). Using latest bios as of today.
Basically, these boards do not look ready for prime time. Oh, just
for comparison, my CPU temps are running low to mid 30's Celsius on
both as measured by the system bios/AsusprobeII. Pretty wierd having
the CPU cooler than the Mobo. Anyone else have these problems?

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

Phil wrote:
> AS I explained earlier, the BIOS reading and the core temp readings

are not
> measured at the same spot on the CPU die, and come from different

sensors.
> It is certainly normal for the BIOS to report a different temp than
> CoreTemp, but it's usually lower. I do agree that your board is

suspicious,
> and worthy of being replaced.
>
> -phil
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Went into System BIOS of MSI and it said there was no CPU fan but

> > have one and it is running. Must not recognize it.
> >
> > The CPU temp in BIOS said it was 59C while Core temp program in

Windows
> > XP went up to about 50C and back down to 47/44
> >
> > So perhaps the MSI utils are not working at all.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Patty
> >

> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> Thanks.
> >> Downloaded Throttlewatch and it shows the correct speed at idle

and at
> >> 8%. So I do not think it is throttling down.
> >>
> >> MSI told me the mobo may have a bad DIGICELL chip. But when I

read some
> >> other posts on their forum it says other people are getting wrong

temp
> >> readings from their CoreCenter utilities, PCAlert and that
> >> DualCorCenter does not run for some (including me).
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Patty

truly

Throttlewatch:

MSI

the

on my

the CPU

reads the

was

weeks). It

Junior Member

This forum item was very helpful. I thank all who wrote in. A friend of mine just built a new computer for me with ASUS MOBO and E6600 Core Duo. I started up the probe software that ASUS provides and was surprised by a reading of about 54C at idle. At full load the temp exceeded 80C. I almost bought a cooling kit but my friend came over and after messing around with the fans and airflow for an hour, he discovered the CPU was not fully seated. He has built many PCs and remarked that the E6600 has been one of the more difficult to seat correctly. Once he re-seated the CPU, the temp dropped down to 24C and now it never exceeds 30C. So for those of you running 50C and higher, odds are high the CPU is not installed correctly.