HP/Compaq laptop battery and/or charger problem

Roger Mills

My 8-year-old HP/Compaq nx9005 laptop has got a completely flat battery
- or, rather, *two* completely flat batteries, because I bought a new
one a few years ago and they are now both the same.

The power arrangements for this laptop are as follows:

The battery is lithium-ion, 14.8v, 4400mAH (type F4809). It has a row of
LEDs on the side to indicate the state of charge.

The mains power supply delivers 18.5vDC through a cylindrical connector,
which powers the laptop when on mains, and charges the battery via
circuitry built into the laptop. There is a light on the front of the
laptop which is amber when the battery is charging, and turns green when
it is fully charged.

Well, that's what's *supposed* to happen. What *actually* happens is this:

If I 'charge' the battery for (say) 24 hours, the lamp is amber for the
whole time and never turns green. If I remove the battery immediately
after 'charging', it is stone cold and none of the charge indicator LEDs
light when the test button is pressed.

Even after a long charging period, the battery won't start the laptop if
mains power is not present. If when the laptop is running, mains power
is removed, it stops dead.

If I run the laptop without a battery present, the charge lamp flashes
amber (but is solid amber if a battery is present).

I have tried putting one of the batteries in the freezer for 2 days, and
then thawing it and attempting to charge it - all to no avail.

Sorry for the long pre-amble! My question is this:

How can I tell whether the problem lies with the battery or with the
internal charger? Are there any clues in what I have written above? I
don't mind buying another new battery but, if the charger is duff, I
will have wasted my money.

I usually run it on mains anyway, so it's not a total disaster if I
can't make the battery work - but one does tend to expect a laptop to
have its own built-in UPS!

TIA.
--
Cheers,
Roger

John Williamson

Roger Mills wrote:
> How can I tell whether the problem lies with the battery or with the
> internal charger? Are there any clues in what I have written above? I
> don't mind buying another new battery but, if the charger is duff, I
> will have wasted my money.
>
> I usually run it on mains anyway, so it's not a total disaster if I
> can't make the battery work - but one does tend to expect a laptop to
> have its own built-in UPS!
>
> TIA.

I'm 99% certain that the batteries have died due to old age. The
behaviour of the charging LED suggests that the charging circuitry is
okay. Most Lithium based batteries I've had in laptops have died after
no more than four years. I killed one in a few months by just leaving
the laptop plugged in permanently.

Two simple ways to make certain, test the battery in another machine,and
try a working battery in yours. Of course, this does have the
disadvantage of needing access to a machine that is known to be good.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Andy Burns

John Williamson wrote:

> Most Lithium based batteries I've had in laptops have died after
> no more than four years. I killed one in a few months by just leaving
> the laptop plugged in permanently.

A recently purchased IdeaPad has an option to keep the battery charged
to 50% rather than 100%. This is intended in cases where the laptop is
usually left connected to the charger, which hurts the battery
longevity, you can untick the setting when you know you will want the
full 5+ hours battery capacity ...

Roger Mills

On 14/08/2011 22:06, John Williamson wrote:
> Roger Mills wrote:
>> How can I tell whether the problem lies with the battery or with the
>> internal charger? Are there any clues in what I have written above? I
>> don't mind buying another new battery but, if the charger is duff, I
>> will have wasted my money.
>>
>> I usually run it on mains anyway, so it's not a total disaster if I
>> can't make the battery work - but one does tend to expect a laptop to
>> have its own built-in UPS!
>>
>> TIA.

> I'm 99% certain that the batteries have died due to old age. The
> behaviour of the charging LED suggests that the charging circuitry is
> okay. Most Lithium based batteries I've had in laptops have died after
> no more than four years. I killed one in a few months by just leaving
> the laptop plugged in permanently.

Thanks. What would the charging LED do if the charger was duff?

> Two simple ways to make certain, test the battery in another machine,and
> try a working battery in yours. Of course, this does have the
> disadvantage of needing access to a machine that is known to be good.

Not an option, unfortunately. I don't have access to another machine
which uses the same type of battery - and the only way of getting a
working battery is to *buy* one - which is what I'm seeking to avoid
until I'm sure that the charger is ok!
--
Cheers,
Roger

John Williamson

Roger Mills wrote:
> On 14/08/2011 22:06, John Williamson wrote:
>> Roger Mills wrote:
>>> How can I tell whether the problem lies with the battery or with the
>>> internal charger? Are there any clues in what I have written above? I
>>> don't mind buying another new battery but, if the charger is duff, I
>>> will have wasted my money.
>>>
>>> I usually run it on mains anyway, so it's not a total disaster if I
>>> can't make the battery work - but one does tend to expect a laptop to
>>> have its own built-in UPS!
>>>
>>> TIA.

>> I'm 99% certain that the batteries have died due to old age. The
>> behaviour of the charging LED suggests that the charging circuitry is
>> okay. Most Lithium based batteries I've had in laptops have died after
>> no more than four years. I killed one in a few months by just leaving
>> the laptop plugged in permanently.
>>

> Thanks. What would the charging LED do if the charger was duff?

Stay off, IME. Which model of laptop is it?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Peter Crosland

"Roger Mills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My 8-year-old HP/Compaq nx9005 laptop has got a completely flat battery -
> or, rather, *two* completely flat batteries, because I bought a new one a
> few years ago and they are now both the same.
>
> The power arrangements for this laptop are as follows:
>
> The battery is lithium-ion, 14.8v, 4400mAH (type F4809). It has a row of
> LEDs on the side to indicate the state of charge.
>
> The mains power supply delivers 18.5vDC through a cylindrical connector,
> which powers the laptop when on mains, and charges the battery via
> circuitry built into the laptop. There is a light on the front of the
> laptop which is amber when the battery is charging, and turns green when
> it is fully charged.
>
> Well, that's what's *supposed* to happen. What *actually* happens is this:
>
> If I 'charge' the battery for (say) 24 hours, the lamp is amber for the
> whole time and never turns green. If I remove the battery immediately
> after 'charging', it is stone cold and none of the charge indicator LEDs
> light when the test button is pressed.
>
> Even after a long charging period, the battery won't start the laptop if
> mains power is not present. If when the laptop is running, mains power is
> removed, it stops dead.
>
> If I run the laptop without a battery present, the charge lamp flashes
> amber (but is solid amber if a battery is present).
>
> I have tried putting one of the batteries in the freezer for 2 days, and
> then thawing it and attempting to charge it - all to no avail.
>
> Sorry for the long pre-amble! My question is this:
>
> How can I tell whether the problem lies with the battery or with the
> internal charger? Are there any clues in what I have written above? I
> don't mind buying another new battery but, if the charger is duff, I will
> have wasted my money.
>
> I usually run it on mains anyway, so it's not a total disaster if I can't
> make the battery work - but one does tend to expect a laptop to have its
> own built-in UPS!

After eight years the batteries are well beyond their design life. Indeed
the machine is as well. You might consider cutting your losses and buy a new
machine.

Regards from Peter Crosland

Brian Gaff

Well, if this situation has been going on for a while, the batteries will
almost certainly be dead now in any case. They prefer to be left in a semi
charged state, or they then fail to charge at all when you try to charge
them after a long period.
So, it really depends on whether the machine is worth getting fixed if the
charger is dodgy.
You would need a new battery in any case I'd think.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff - (E-Mail Removed)
in the display name may be lost.
"Roger Mills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My 8-year-old HP/Compaq nx9005 laptop has got a completely flat battery -
> or, rather, *two* completely flat batteries, because I bought a new one a
> few years ago and they are now both the same.
>
> The power arrangements for this laptop are as follows:
>
> The battery is lithium-ion, 14.8v, 4400mAH (type F4809). It has a row of
> LEDs on the side to indicate the state of charge.
>
> The mains power supply delivers 18.5vDC through a cylindrical connector,
> which powers the laptop when on mains, and charges the battery via
> circuitry built into the laptop. There is a light on the front of the
> laptop which is amber when the battery is charging, and turns green when
> it is fully charged.
>
> Well, that's what's *supposed* to happen. What *actually* happens is this:
>
> If I 'charge' the battery for (say) 24 hours, the lamp is amber for the
> whole time and never turns green. If I remove the battery immediately
> after 'charging', it is stone cold and none of the charge indicator LEDs
> light when the test button is pressed.
>
> Even after a long charging period, the battery won't start the laptop if
> mains power is not present. If when the laptop is running, mains power is
> removed, it stops dead.
>
> If I run the laptop without a battery present, the charge lamp flashes
> amber (but is solid amber if a battery is present).
>
> I have tried putting one of the batteries in the freezer for 2 days, and
> then thawing it and attempting to charge it - all to no avail.
>
> Sorry for the long pre-amble! My question is this:
>
> How can I tell whether the problem lies with the battery or with the
> internal charger? Are there any clues in what I have written above? I
> don't mind buying another new battery but, if the charger is duff, I will
> have wasted my money.
>
> I usually run it on mains anyway, so it's not a total disaster if I can't
> make the battery work - but one does tend to expect a laptop to have its
> own built-in UPS!
>
> TIA.
> --
> Cheers,
> Roger
> ____________
> Please reply to Newsgroup. Whilst email address is valid, it is seldom
> checked.

Roger Mills

On 15/08/2011 07:23, John Williamson wrote:
> Roger Mills wrote:

>> Thanks. What would the charging LED do if the charger was duff?
>>

> Stay off, IME. Which model of laptop is it?

As per my original post, it's an HP/Compaq nx9005 with an F4809 battery.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Roger Mills

On 15/08/2011 07:38, Peter Crosland wrote:

> After eight years the batteries are well beyond their design life. Indeed
> the machine is as well. You might consider cutting your losses and buy a new
> machine.

The two batteries have been used serially - so that's only 4 years each,
but even that may be beyond their expected life!

The laptop has already been pretty much retired, and is mainly only used
as a standby machine. It had to be pressed into service recently when my
wife's computer picked up a virus - and she was able to use the laptop
whilst I sorted her main computer.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Davey

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 21:49:59 +0100
Roger Mills <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My 8-year-old HP/Compaq nx9005 laptop has got a completely flat
> battery
> - or, rather, *two* completely flat batteries, because I bought a new
> one a few years ago and they are now both the same.
>
> The power arrangements for this laptop are as follows:
>
> The battery is lithium-ion, 14.8v, 4400mAH (type F4809). It has a row
> of LEDs on the side to indicate the state of charge.
>
> The mains power supply delivers 18.5vDC through a cylindrical
> connector, which powers the laptop when on mains, and charges the
> battery via circuitry built into the laptop. There is a light on the
> front of the laptop which is amber when the battery is charging, and
> turns green when it is fully charged.
>
> Well, that's what's *supposed* to happen. What *actually* happens is
> this:
>
> If I 'charge' the battery for (say) 24 hours, the lamp is amber for
> the whole time and never turns green. If I remove the battery
> immediately after 'charging', it is stone cold and none of the charge
> indicator LEDs light when the test button is pressed.
>
> Even after a long charging period, the battery won't start the laptop
> if mains power is not present. If when the laptop is running, mains
> power is removed, it stops dead.
>
> If I run the laptop without a battery present, the charge lamp
> flashes amber (but is solid amber if a battery is present).
>
> I have tried putting one of the batteries in the freezer for 2 days,
> and then thawing it and attempting to charge it - all to no avail.
>
> Sorry for the long pre-amble! My question is this:
>
> How can I tell whether the problem lies with the battery or with the
> internal charger? Are there any clues in what I have written above? I
> don't mind buying another new battery but, if the charger is duff, I
> will have wasted my money.
>
> I usually run it on mains anyway, so it's not a total disaster if I
> can't make the battery work - but one does tend to expect a laptop to
> have its own built-in UPS!
>
> TIA.

I have a similar situation to you. My laptop is an nx9010, and I bought
a new replacement battery just over a year and a half ago. Now it
behaves exactly as you describe, in every detail, and I also have
wondered whether it's the battery or the charging system. I shall be
interested in the conclusion, if any, although I have bought a new
laptop, which far outstrips the abilities of the Compaq.
--
Davey.