HP/Compaq ML310 G1

tam tam is offline
Junior Member

Hi,

I am new to servers, please ignore my ignorance, I recently purchased a second hand HP/Compaq ML310 G1, this arrived without a hard drive, I connected a 20Gig "Standard" hard drive onto the same ide lead as the cd rom, set hard drive as master and cd as secondary with jumpers on the devices, set boot sequence in the bios set cd to first and C: hard drive to second.

I inserted server 2003 (Enterprise edition) into the cd rom all looked well at this stage, selected the c drive and done a format, windows then proceeded to install to the folder, server rebooted then went into a loop for the set up.

I have since been told that I need a cd called hp smart start which I downloaded, I then put this in the cd drive and it does not recognise the hard drive I have installed. I have also been told that I can not put a OS on the standard drive, I would have to purchase a SCSI to boot from, can someone confirm if this is correct, I have also been told (Enterprise edition) will not work?

as I am new to servers I am taking this as a massif learning curve. Thanks for any advise or suggestions on how I can do this.
T@M