HP DesignJet 800 Printer Banding Printing Problem.

Phil Spyder

Wondering if anyone can please help me on this…

I am a professional photographer and print large photorealistic
posters on an HP DesignJet 800 - 42” Printer using Adobe PhotoShop7,
Win XP Pro SP2 on a Dual Core Pentium Intel Platform with 2GB Computer
RAM, 250GB Computer Hard Drive along with 160 MB Printer RAM (Max RAM
the printer will allow) and a 20GB Printer Hard Drive.

I have no difficulty printing both TIFF or JPEG files up to a file
size of about 55MB with the “Best (Enhanced)” feature for “Images” at
“Maximum Detail” enabled on the “Paper/Quality” tab of the “HP
DesignJet 800 Properties” window and am very happy with the print
quality this setup delivers. However, when I try printing anything
larger than this file size, every print I try gives me a pair of
banding lines at about one third and another pair of banding lines at
about two thirds the way through of the print’s length using the
“Portrait” orientation.

Does anybody know what might be causing this and if there is a
workable fix that can resolve this problem? I’ve recently upgraded the
printer’s RAM from the standard 96 MB to the full 160 MB and that
didn’t help at all. As far as I can see I think I have enough capacity
in terms of computer and printer memory. I’m now wondering if a RIP
might not resolve this problem. Does anyone have any similar
experiences and if so can you please tell me if installing a software
based RIP helped to resolve this or a similar problem? If so, which
RIP is best? Features vs. Price, etc… Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

Phil

Tom Lake

"Phil Spyder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wondering if anyone can please help me on this…

> I have no difficulty printing both TIFF or JPEG files up to a file
> size of about 55MB with the “Best (Enhanced)” feature for “Images” at
> “Maximum Detail” enabled on the “Paper/Quality” tab of the “HP
> DesignJet 800 Properties” window and am very happy with the print
> quality this setup delivers. However, when I try printing anything
> larger than this file size, every print I try gives me a pair of
> banding lines at about one third and another pair of banding lines at
> about two thirds the way through of the print’s length using the
> “Portrait” orientation.

Have you tried printing from other software? If so does it do the same thing?
We have a DesignJet 800ps (42") here and see no problem like that.
We usually use CorelDraw to do our printing. Sometimes we get posters made in
PowerPoint since some users only know haw to use that. No problem there,
either.

Tom Lake

Printing to a HP Designjet 5000 Poster printer. SpreadTooThin Apple 5 10-06-2010 08:05 PM
Designjet 800 won't cut paper Kevin HP 1 03-02-2009 03:41 PM
[News] 2007WFP Banding Firmware Patch on the way User N Dell 3 05-26-2006 10:30 PM
HP printer DesignJet 130 BoB De HP 0 01-04-2005 01:40 PM
Controlling the paper on a HP Designjet 800 Raul Silva HP 0 05-19-2004 07:07 PM