HP dv9000 Notebook

jcage@lycos.com

I have a dv9000 HP laptop that has suddenly started to shut itself off
after it's been on for a while. Last night, I was watching television
on it in my dorm when it suddenly shut down. I believe this is heat
related and am not sure what to do about it. The laptop is about 12
months old, has a Vista OS, sets squarely on the desk with nothing
under it (clothing, table clothes, etc). It was on for a little over
an hour when this happened and it hasn't been all that hot here in the
PNW these past days so... Anyone else have similar problems or know
what I might do about it?

thanks very much,

John

ShadowTek

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:5f90b715-6447-4e10-af65-675b46cdf2f5
@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

> I have a dv9000 HP laptop that has suddenly started to shut itself off
> after it's been on for a while. Last night, I was watching television
> on it in my dorm when it suddenly shut down. I believe this is heat
> related and am not sure what to do about it. The laptop is about 12
> months old, has a Vista OS, sets squarely on the desk with nothing
> under it (clothing, table clothes, etc). It was on for a little over
> an hour when this happened and it hasn't been all that hot here in the
> PNW these past days so... Anyone else have similar problems or know
> what I might do about it?
>
> thanks very much,
>
> John

You could test for hardware stability by running a Memtest+86 boot disk. If
you get any errors, then you'll know that you have a hardware problem.

You could also try installing something like Speedfan for Windows, which
will give you a good listing of your available temperature sensors. Once
installed, you could try running a few stress tests to see what kind of
temps are being generated.

AJ Lake

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have a dv9000 HP laptop that has suddenly started to shut itself off
>after it's been on for a while... I believe this is heat related...

Have you checked your fan compartment? It may be clogged with dust. On my HP
laptop (zd7000) there is a bottom panel for access to the compartment. My
laptop has never shut down when it's clogged, but I sure know it because the
fans will speed up much higher than normal.