HP Pavilion 6535: Which fan to buy?

Yee Hah

Hi,
I have an HP Pavilion 6535. I want to replace the fan (CPU fan?) because
it's gotten more noisy. I opened up the unit and cleaned things out with
canned air but the fan is still noisy, so I'm assuming I might just need a
new one.

We have a Frys Electronics close by that I'm guessing has a wide assortment
of fans. How would I determine what fan to buy? Would I just open up the
unit and try to get info on the current fan, then see if I can find a match
at Frys?

Thanks!

Tom Lake

"Yee Hah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsh7bk.12467$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I have an HP Pavilion 6535. I want to replace the fan (CPU fan?) because
> it's gotten more noisy. I opened up the unit and cleaned things out with
> canned air but the fan is still noisy, so I'm assuming I might just need a
> new one.
>
> We have a Frys Electronics close by that I'm guessing has a wide assortment
> of fans. How would I determine what fan to buy? Would I just open up the
> unit and try to get info on the current fan, then see if I can find a match
> at Frys?

The socket used is a PPGA Socket 370 so any fan compatible
with that would work for you.

Tom Lake

Yee Hah

"Tom Lake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:g4j0qv$ej5$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Yee Hah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsh7bk.12467$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> > I have an HP Pavilion 6535. I want to replace the fan (CPU fan?)

because
> > it's gotten more noisy. I opened up the unit and cleaned things out

with
> > canned air but the fan is still noisy, so I'm assuming I might just need

> > new one.
> >
> > We have a Frys Electronics close by that I'm guessing has a wide

assortment
> > of fans. How would I determine what fan to buy? Would I just open up

the
> > unit and try to get info on the current fan, then see if I can find a

match
> > at Frys?

> The socket used is a PPGA Socket 370 so any fan compatible
> with that would work for you.
>
> Tom Lake

Thanks Tom. It sounds like you are familiar with the 6535. I'm not a tech,
but I'd like to try to replace the fan myself. When I looked at it, the fan
seems difficult-to-reach. Does it just snap out?

Tom Lake

>> > We have a Frys Electronics close by that I'm guessing has a wide
> assortment
>> > of fans. How would I determine what fan to buy? Would I just open up

> the
>> > unit and try to get info on the current fan, then see if I can find a

> match
>> > at Frys?

>> The socket used is a PPGA Socket 370 so any fan compatible
>> with that would work for you.
>>
>> Tom Lake
>>

> Thanks Tom. It sounds like you are familiar with the 6535. I'm not a tech,
> but I'd like to try to replace the fan myself. When I looked at it, the fan
> seems difficult-to-reach. Does it just snap out?

You do have to take out most of the innards to do it but once you have a
clear shot at the fan, unplug the fan power supply wiring, release the lever
on the side of the socket, then carefully unhook the assembly from the socket,
and lift straight out. If you're only moderately good with mechanical things
(That's me!) it's still fairly easy. The most important thing to remember is
to clean off the surface of the CPU and put a SMALL amount of thermal paste
(I use Arctic Silver but there are quite a few good ones) on it before mounting
the new fan. The pressure from the fan being mounted will spread out the paste.

Tom Lake

Ben Myers

Socket 370 fans are customarily held in place with a single metal clip attached
to the plastic socket. Because the socket is plastic, you need to remove the
clip VERY carefully. Here is what I usually do: Press down on the metal clip,
then use a small flat-bladed screw driver as a lever to pull one end of the clip
away from the socket. Then the clip comes right off. Next, remove the
heat/sink fan, slowly lifting it twisting it slightly to break the seal between
heat sink and CPU... Ben Myers