Hyper Threading

Andrew

Hey

I just got me brand new 8300 p4 with hyper threading !
soes it make much difference if i turn hyper threading on ?
and will i even notice a diffrence or will it seem the same ?

Thnx

Patrick L Parks

In all honesty, you are not likely going to see much or a difference in real
world performance. Most applications simply don't take advantage of it and
some things actually can slow down due to the extra overhead.

"Andrew" <the_weirdo@@@(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wcP%b.17$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey
>
> I just got me brand new 8300 p4 with hyper threading !
> soes it make much difference if i turn hyper threading on ?
> and will i even notice a diffrence or will it seem the same ?
>

> Thnx

Leythos

In article <wcP%b.17$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Andrew"
<the_weirdo@@@(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Hey
>
> I just got me brand new 8300 p4 with hyper threading !
> soes it make much difference if i turn hyper threading on ?
> and will i even notice a diffrence or will it seem the same ?

In most cases, the limited amount of HT support found in Windows 2000
and XP Professional won't make much of a difference (if any that you can
actually see).

If you were running Windows 2003 server you would notice it, but 2003
server is not for desktop machines.

I ran a couple tests on a Quad CPU Xeon database server - had several
100gb databases with 70+ users connected via client server apps, and
found no difference with HT on or off under Windows 2000 Advanced
Server.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Dr. Indera

hi patrick,

i didn't realize that the hyperthreading could be turned off.
if you turn it off, will the machine run faster?
does this also apply to laptops?
i'm thinking about ordering the 675 laptop, which has hyperthreading.

thank you
indera

"Patrick L Parks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In all honesty, you are not likely going to see much or a difference in

real
> world performance. Most applications simply don't take advantage of it

and
> some things actually can slow down due to the extra overhead.
>

> "Andrew" <the_weirdo@@@(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wcP%b.17$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hey
> >
> > I just got me brand new 8300 p4 with hyper threading !
> > soes it make much difference if i turn hyper threading on ?
> > and will i even notice a diffrence or will it seem the same ?
> >

> > Thnx

Timothy Drouillard

Hyperthreading is usually enabled or disable in the systems BIOS setup
menus.

In normal everyday use, you probably won't see much of a difference in
performance either way, on or off.

"Dr. Indera" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SnY%b.1078$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> hi patrick,
>
> i didn't realize that the hyperthreading could be turned off.
> if you turn it off, will the machine run faster?
> does this also apply to laptops?
> i'm thinking about ordering the 675 laptop, which has hyperthreading.
>
> thank you
> indera
>

> "Patrick L Parks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In all honesty, you are not likely going to see much or a difference in

> real
> > world performance. Most applications simply don't take advantage of it

> and
> > some things actually can slow down due to the extra overhead.
> >

> > "Andrew" <the_weirdo@@@(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:wcP%b.17$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hey
> > >
> > > I just got me brand new 8300 p4 with hyper threading !
> > > soes it make much difference if i turn hyper threading on ?
> > > and will i even notice a diffrence or will it seem the same ?
> > >

> > > Thnx

Dr. Indera

hi timothy,

thank you for letting me know.
that is just one less thing i need to worry about.

indera

"Timothy Drouillard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hyperthreading is usually enabled or disable in the systems BIOS setup
> menus.
>
> In normal everyday use, you probably won't see much of a difference in
> performance either way, on or off.
>
> "Dr. Indera" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:SnY%b.1078$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > hi patrick,
> >
> > i didn't realize that the hyperthreading could be turned off.
> > if you turn it off, will the machine run faster?
> > does this also apply to laptops?
> > i'm thinking about ordering the 675 laptop, which has hyperthreading.
> >
> > thank you
> > indera
> >

> > "Patrick L Parks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > In all honesty, you are not likely going to see much or a difference

in
> > real
> > > world performance. Most applications simply don't take advantage of

it
> > and
> > > some things actually can slow down due to the extra overhead.
> > >

> > > "Andrew" <the_weirdo@@@(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:wcP%b.17$(E-Mail Removed)...

Patrick L Parks

My company has found very good performance gains with SQL 2000 and Windows
Server 2003 using HT technology.

Instead of buying quad processor boxes and paying MS (4 x $10,000) for
licensing SQL, we instead by dual processor boxes and only pay MS (2 x
$10,000), but they peform as if they are quad processor systems. Maybe not
exactly 2 to 1 performance, but they are performing great. Also, we are
running a cluster with SQL instances on both cluster nodes and with only
buying 2 licenses for each node, we get a ton of performance.

"Leythos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <wcP%b.17$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Andrew"
> <the_weirdo@@@(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> > Hey
> >
> > I just got me brand new 8300 p4 with hyper threading !
> > soes it make much difference if i turn hyper threading on ?
> > and will i even notice a diffrence or will it seem the same ?

> In most cases, the limited amount of HT support found in Windows 2000
> and XP Professional won't make much of a difference (if any that you can
> actually see).
>
> If you were running Windows 2003 server you would notice it, but 2003
> server is not for desktop machines.
>
> I ran a couple tests on a Quad CPU Xeon database server - had several
> 100gb databases with 70+ users connected via client server apps, and
> found no difference with HT on or off under Windows 2000 Advanced
> Server.
>

> --
> --
> (E-Mail Removed)
> (Remove 999 to reply to me)

Leythos

says...
> My company has found very good performance gains with SQL 2000 and Windows
> Server 2003 using HT technology.

My guess is that you are not really seeing the performance gains you
think you are. 2003 has full support for HT and I've seen marked
increases in performance with a server using HT, but 2000 has limited
support for it, esp when it comes to MS SQL 2000.

> Instead of buying quad processor boxes and paying MS (4 x $10,000) for
> licensing SQL, we instead by dual processor boxes and only pay MS (2 x
> $10,000),

Which version of MS SQL 2000 are you using, the standard SQL CPU license
is only $4,995 US.

> but they peform as if they are quad processor systems. Maybe not
> exactly 2 to 1 performance, but they are performing great. Also, we are
> running a cluster with SQL instances on both cluster nodes and with only
> buying 2 licenses for each node, we get a ton of performance.

Since you're running a cluster, are you running it on 2000 or 2003? As I
said before, I've tested HT for SQL 2000 on 2000 Server with HT on/off
and was not able to get more than a 1% difference in performance.

SQL 2000 on Windows 2003 with HT enabled has shown up to 20% increase in
performance, but not sustained.

If you could, you should disable HT on the 2000 boxes and measure your
performance, you might find, as I did, that you don't really benefit
from HT.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)