I2C devices with unique identifiers.

Roberto Waltman

For a project I am working on, I would like to give boards fresh from
manufacturing a distinct "identity", before they are assigned a serial
number, or have a MAC address or IP address programmed, etc.

This could be provided by some devices, such as Maxim's DS2411
"Silicon serial number" ( with a "Unique, Factory-Lasered and Tested
64-Bit Registration Number" ) or DS18B20 temperature sensor, ( "has a
Unique 64-Bit Serial Code Stored in an On-Board ROM" )

Looking for the least expensive chip with such an ID, with an I2C
(preferred), SPI or 1-wire interface. Don't care what other
functionality that chip may have, I just want the unique ID.
A device that report its own serial number would be OK.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
--
Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group,
return address is invalid ]

Joe Chisolm

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 13:47:30 -0400, Roberto Waltman wrote:

> For a project I am working on, I would like to give boards fresh from
> manufacturing a distinct "identity", before they are assigned a serial
> number, or have a MAC address or IP address programmed, etc.
>
> This could be provided by some devices, such as Maxim's DS2411 "Silicon
> serial number" ( with a "Unique, Factory-Lasered and Tested 64-Bit
> Registration Number" ) or DS18B20 temperature sensor, ( "has a Unique
> 64-Bit Serial Code Stored in an On-Board ROM" )
>
> Looking for the least expensive chip with such an ID, with an I2C
> (preferred), SPI or 1-wire interface. Don't care what other
> functionality that chip may have, I just want the unique ID. A device
> that report its own serial number would be OK.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,

I use the Microchip 25AA02E48 in several products. It's SPI but the
24AA025E48 is I2C. They will run you about $0.23 in a SOT-23
package. Get them from Mouser,Digikey,Avnet or direct from Microchip.
Good news is you also get some EEPROM along with the MAC address.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

Roberto Waltman

Joe Chisolm wrote:
>> Looking for the least expensive chip with such an ID,

>I use the Microchip 25AA02E48 in several products.

Thanks, that's exactly what I need.
--
Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group,
return address is invalid ]

rickman

On 8/10/2012 5:36 PM, Roberto Waltman wrote:
> Joe Chisolm wrote:
>>> Looking for the least expensive chip with such an ID,

>> I use the Microchip 25AA02E48 in several products.

> Thanks, that's exactly what I need.
> --
> Roberto Waltman

Dallas did a good job with the one wire parts in general and only using
one wire is a great thing. But they don't seem to be price competitive
for who knows what reason. I seem to recall the one wire part that is
the least expensive is one of their eeproms. I'm pretty sure it is lot
more than a quarter. Heck, sometimes it is cheaper to emulate a one
wire part with an MCU, but then you have to do your own serial number
programming!

Rick

Nico Coesel

rickman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I use the Microchip 25AA02E48 in several products.

>> Thanks, that's exactly what I need.
>> --
>> Roberto Waltman

>Dallas did a good job with the one wire parts in general and only using
>one wire is a great thing. But they don't seem to be price competitive
>for who knows what reason. I seem to recall the one wire part that is
>the least expensive is one of their eeproms. I'm pretty sure it is lot
>more than a quarter. Heck, sometimes it is cheaper to emulate a one
>wire part with an MCU, but then you have to do your own serial number
>programming!

Nowadays a lot of MCUs come with a unique serial number.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

Roberto Waltman

Nico Coesel wrote:
>Nowadays a lot of MCUs come with a unique serial number.

I know of a few, such as NXP's LPC1311. But the processor in this
project does not have this feature. (Can not change that)
--
Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group,
return address is invalid ]

Leo Havm°ller

> For a project I am working on, I would like to give boards fresh from
> manufacturing a distinct "identity", before they are assigned a serial
> number, or have a MAC address or IP address programmed, etc.

Does the board have a flash? Then maybe you already have a 64-bit unique ID
available.

Leo Havm°ller.

Roberto Waltman

Leo Havm°ller wrote:
>Does the board have a flash? Then maybe you already have a 64-bit unique ID
>available.

Thanks, I am aware of those and no, the only flash is the CPU's
internal memory.
--
Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group,
return address is invalid ]

WangoTango

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, jchisolm6
@earthlink.net says...
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 13:47:30 -0400, Roberto Waltman wrote:
>
> > For a project I am working on, I would like to give boards fresh from
> > manufacturing a distinct "identity", before they are assigned a serial
> > number, or have a MAC address or IP address programmed, etc.
> >
> > This could be provided by some devices, such as Maxim's DS2411 "Silicon
> > serial number" ( with a "Unique, Factory-Lasered and Tested 64-Bit
> > Registration Number" ) or DS18B20 temperature sensor, ( "has a Unique
> > 64-Bit Serial Code Stored in an On-Board ROM" )
> >
> > Looking for the least expensive chip with such an ID, with an I2C
> > (preferred), SPI or 1-wire interface. Don't care what other
> > functionality that chip may have, I just want the unique ID. A device
> > that report its own serial number would be OK.
> >
> > Any recommendations?
> >
> > Thanks,

> I use the Microchip 25AA02E48 in several products. It's SPI but the
> 24AA025E48 is I2C. They will run you about $0.23 in a SOT-23
> package. Get them from Mouser,Digikey,Avnet or direct from Microchip.
> Good news is you also get some EEPROM along with the MAC address.

I second the recommendation, I use both flavors of these guys a regular
basis. As easy to use as any serial EEPROM and cheap.

Uwe Bonnes

In comp.arch.embedded Roberto Waltman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For a project I am working on, I would like to give boards fresh from
> manufacturing a distinct "identity", before they are assigned a serial
> number, or have a MAC address or IP address programmed, etc.

> This could be provided by some devices, such as Maxim's DS2411
> "Silicon serial number" ( with a "Unique, Factory-Lasered and Tested
> 64-Bit Registration Number" ) or DS18B20 temperature sensor, ( "has a
> Unique 64-Bit Serial Code Stored in an On-Board ROM" )

> Looking for the least expensive chip with such an ID, with an I2C
> (preferred), SPI or 1-wire interface. Don't care what other
> functionality that chip may have, I just want the unique ID.
> A device that report its own serial number would be OK.

> Any recommendations?

How about using a uC with built-in unique ID? E.g. STM32F?

Bye
--
Uwe Bonnes (E-Mail Removed)-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt