IBM Rapid Restore

Teflon

I now understand TV R&R on my R51 TP, now I'm ready to tackle my
wife's T41, which has IBM Rapid Restore as the back-up utility.

First question, is IBM RR equivalent to TV RR? If not, which is
better? She has all of the ThinkVantage utilities, with the exception
of R&R. She has never done a System Update.

She has not knowingly backed up her system, but there are 2 files
under 'Single File Restore' that were created in 2004 and again in
2005. Each one appears to contain all the files on her system. I can
not right-click these files to see how large they are, but I gotta
believe they are taking a lot of space on her HD.

I would like to delete these files, then connect her system to a USB
HDD and create a current back-up of her system on the USB device using
IBM RR. I don't want to backup the IBM RR files, however, I don't
seem to be able to find a way to delete these files via IBM Rapid
Restore.

Is there a correct way to go about deleting them?

Her system does not have Computer Management in the All Programs
listings. I was trying to get to Disk Management. Is there another
way to get there?

Teflon

On Oct 6, 6:36*pm, Teflon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I now understand TV R&R on my R51 TP, now I'm ready to tackle my
> wife's T41, which has IBM Rapid Restore as the back-up utility.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the machine has XP Pro, SP3 and a
30GB HD.

Trying to free up some HD real estate for her, and save her the
anguish of restoring from scratch when the HD fails, and it will fail.

Thanks for all your advice.

Teflon

> >I would like to delete these files, then connect her system to a USB
> >HDD and create a current back-up of her system on the USB device using
> >IBM RR. *I don't want to backup the IBM RR files, however, I don't
> >seem to be able to find a way to delete these files via IBM Rapid
> >Restore.

> >Is there a correct way to go about deleting them?

> Use this procedure:
> <http://doe.k12.hi.us/technology/ctci/removingbackupfiles.pdf>
> Or just uninstall Rapid Restore Ultra.

Neither option worked, mainly, because Rapid Restore Ultra does not
seem to be installed. It is not listed in Add/Remove Programs, so I
apparently can't uninstall that which is not installed. It may have
gotten uninstalled by MSFT's Live maintenance offering, which she had
for several years.

There is still a shortcut in Access IBM that brings up the first RR
Ultra screen, but none of the buttons are active. BTW, is Access IBM
still viable? Can not find anything regarding RR Ultra via Search,
other than the Single File Restore folder.

So, what is the next step for getting the Single File Restore folder
deleted? None of the Delete, etc. options work, of course, since I
believe it is labeled as a System Folder.

*

Teflon

> >Her system does not have Computer Management in the All Programs
> >listings. *I was trying to get to Disk Management. *Is there another
> >way to get there?

> Right-click on My Computer, and left-click on Manage in the pop-up menu.
> Or Run "compmgmt.msc".

That worked. Disk Management shows a hidden IBM Service partition
(E is occupying 9.5GB of the HDD. Isn't that a little excessive? I
used Marcium Reflect to make a copy of it, plus C: on an external
HDD. Could I now just delete that Service partition? If so, how do I
get make that 9.5GB to be reallocated to the C: partition?

Teflon

On Oct 20, 1:32*pm, John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:32:58 -0700 (PDT), Teflon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> >> Right-click on My Computer, and left-click on Manage in the pop-up menu.
> >> Or Run "compmgmt.msc".

> >That worked. *Disk Management shows a hidden IBM Service partition
> >(E is occupying 9.5GB of the HDD. *Isn't that a little excessive? *

> A little -- I think it's 5 GB on the ThinkPad I'm using at the moment.

> >used Marcium Reflect to make a copy of it, plus C: on an external
> >HDD. *Could I now just delete that Service partition?

> Yes, but I wouldn't advise it, unless you're *sure* Marcium Reflect can
> properly restore it. *I'd use the official method of backup instead.
>
> >If so, how do I
> >get make that 9.5GB to be reallocated to the C: partition?

> You'll need something like Paragon Partition Manager.
>
> Do you ever say thanks, or do you just demand answers?

Sorry about that John. Did not realize my e-communications were
coming off as demanding. After having screwed up enough things in the
past 71 years, by not doing the proper due diligence, I guess I do ask
a lot of questions. Just trying to lessen the possibility of my
screwing up yet something else.

Of course I appreciate your help, thought I had expressed that early
on. Thanks again.

> --
> Best regards, * *You are cordially invited to participate in the
> John * * * * * * official ThinkPad group news:comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad

Teflon

On Oct 20, 1:28*pm, John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:26:12 -0700 (PDT), Teflon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> >> Use this procedure:
> >> <http://doe.k12.hi.us/technology/ctci/removingbackupfiles.pdf>
> >> Or just uninstall Rapid Restore Ultra.

> >Neither option worked, mainly, because Rapid Restore Ultra does not
> >seem to be installed. *It is not listed in Add/Remove Programs, so I
> >apparently can't uninstall that which is not installed. *It may have
> >gotten uninstalled by MSFT's Live maintenance offering, which she had
> >for several years.

> Try reinstall and then uninstall.

Thanks.

I thought of doing that, but have no idea where to find a copy of that
old version of IBM RR to reinstall. Perhaps you can point me in the
right direction.

Tried searching the Lenovo site, but all I found was the latest
version of TV R&R, which you had already pointed me to. I assumed
that would not work to get rid of those old IBM RR backup files.

Google wasn't any help either.

Thanks.

Teflon

On Oct 21, 6:48*am, John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 06:18:41 -0700 (PDT), Teflon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
> >On Oct 20, 1:28*pm, John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Try reinstall and then uninstall.

> >Thanks.

> >I thought of doing that, but have no idea where to find a copy of that
> >old version of IBM RR to reinstall. *Perhaps you can point me in the
> >right direction.

> It should still be available in the preinstalled software section.
> In the T41, it's in the \SWTOOLS tree.
> It should also be in the hidden restore partition.

I thought I had to use RR to access that partition? Will look in
SWTOOLS and see what I find. Thanks for the pointer.

> >Tried searching the Lenovo site, but all I found was the latest
> >version of TV R&R, which you had already pointed me to. *I assumed
> >that would not work to get rid of those old IBM RR backup files.

> Assumptions, the mother of all screwups.

Ain't it the truth.

> Try
> <http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-5....>
>
> >Google wasn't any help either.

> That's how I found the above.

I've found with Google, it also helps to know what one is looking for.

Thanks again, John.

On Oct 21, 8:41*am, John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 08:28:57 -0700 (PDT), Teflon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
> >On Oct 21, 6:48*am, John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> It should still be available in the preinstalled software section.
> >> In the T41, it's in the \SWTOOLS tree.
> >> It should also be in the hidden restore partition.

> >I thought I had to use RR to access that partition? *Will look in
> >SWTOOLS and see what I find. *Thanks for the pointer.

Did a Search of all System / Hidden / etc. files and did not find
SWTOOLS. Maybe that was the wrong way to find \SWTOOLS.

> The hidden partition is what holds the Predesktop Area,
> accessed with the special button when booting.

I tried early on, and I seem to recall that the sub-options for the
several of the main options were grayed out. Tried it again, HELP was
not active, selected UTILITIES, then Restore Backups, it booted into a
DOS-based Restore program that showed the two Backup files as Restore
options, but I did not see anything there that would allow me to
delete those files, so I got out of there.

Curious, could I boot into DOS and delete those files?

Interestingly, I selected the 'Create Diagnostic Disks' option, and it
took me through creating 5 floppy disks, even thought this machine
does not have a floppy drive. Guess the utility versions in the
Predesktop Area are also a little old.

Sorry to be such a bother. Thanks for sticking with me.

> --
> Best regards, * *You are cordially invited to participate in the
> John * * * * * * official ThinkPad group news:comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad

Teflon

> > >Tried searching the Lenovo site, but all I found was the latest
> > >version of TV R&R, which you had already pointed me to. *I assumed
> > >that would not work to get rid of those old IBM RR backup files.

> > Assumptions, the mother of all screwups.

> Ain't it the truth.
>
> > Try
> > <http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-5...>

OK, I had found and read that User's Manual before I started asking
these question, but it unfortunately did not have any advice on how to
get rid of these files when RR isn't installed, so here I am.

I also checked the available software downloads for this T41 model,
but did not see any old versions of IBM Rapid Restore listed. The
only RR listed was the current 4.21 version. I have no idea what the
version # was for the utility that came on this machine, but it's got
to be older than V4.21. Do you think that version would recognize and
delete those files?

Thanks.

Teflon

> Install the current version of Rescue and Recovery.

Downloaded and tried to install RRv4.21, but could not, it said a
previous version was still installed. Not in Add/Remove Program list,
not in Program Files. Did another Search for IBM Rapid Restore Ultra,
but nada. Have no idea where to look.

Went to DOS, found the \SWTOOLS directory, bore down to the \apps
\rnr42en directory. The files in that directory appear to be those of
Rapid Restore, with tvtrnr42_1016.exe possibly being the launch file.

Not wanting to screw up the registry, I left all of that alone and
used Disk Management to remove the Service Partition then Partition
Magic to add that unallocated space to the C: partition. That went
well and the system is perking right along, so all is fine, with the
exception of a nag screen on start-up, informing me that R&R could not
find the Service Partition, and then there's that Single File Recover
System folder with its two backup files still listed under My
Computer.

I can remove R&R from the registry with Reg Seeker, which should solve
the nag screen problem and hopefully allow me to reinstall R&R, but
there's still that System folder issue. Apparently, it was not in the
Service partition, since deleting it did not cause them to go away.

Still open to advice, suggestions and observations. Hope you're still
with me. Thanks.