IBM T30 Will not bootup

dwn

I posted this in Newsgroups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad for over aweek
and no one responded. I believe that NG is dead.

Anyone here can help? Thanks. I appreciate it.

Thinkpad, T30 Type 2366-96U
O/S XP Pro, SP3 upto date.
2Gb ram

After using infrequently for a few months as spare. Will not boot and no
booting options, plain dark screen. Before it died, it still boots for a few
times. During booting, I don't remember the exact wording in DOS screen
"key’s error". If switch on a few days later, it may boot with the same
wordings. Now it really dead. Will not boot in CD. I suspect the KB (keyboard)
is bad. I removed the keyboard KB, I had no ways checking if the Keyboard
is bad. Had also checked the two memory slots and switched the rams. I
don't think the trouble is here. I have installed a new 60Gb HD, 2Gb ram. I
have recovery CD diskettes for this used laptop. Any suggestion before I
junked it?

Tom Rutherford

"dwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I posted this in Newsgroups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad for over aweek
> and no one responded. I believe that NG is dead.
>
> Anyone here can help? Thanks. I appreciate it.
>
> Thinkpad, T30 Type 2366-96U
> O/S XP Pro, SP3 upto date.
> 2Gb ram
>
> After using infrequently for a few months as spare. Will not boot and no
> booting options, plain dark screen. Before it died, it still boots for a
> few
> times. During booting, I don't remember the exact wording in DOS screen
> "key's error". If switch on a few days later, it may boot with the same
> wordings. Now it really dead. Will not boot in CD. I suspect the KB
> (keyboard)
> is bad. I removed the keyboard KB, I had no ways checking if the Keyboard
> is bad. Had also checked the two memory slots and switched the rams. I
> don't think the trouble is here. I have installed a new 60Gb HD, 2Gb ram.
> have recovery CD diskettes for this used laptop. Any suggestion before I
> junked it?

No, that NG isn't dead. It's just not quite as active as this one.

Have you swapped out the CMOS battery yet? Give that a shot. No idea where
it is in the T30 (or the R51, for that matter; my spare 'puter), but I'd
replace it first, if you can find it. It's a lot cheaper than a keyboard,
I'm sure. Good luck!

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."

dwn

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 17:38:39 -0500, "Tom Rutherford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Thinkpad, T30 Type 2366-96U
>> O/S XP Pro, SP3 upto date.
>> 2Gb ram
>>
>> After using infrequently for a few months as spare. Will not boot and no
>> booting options, plain dark screen. Before it died, it still boots for a
>> few
>> times. During booting, I don't remember the exact wording in DOS screen
>> "key's error". If switch on a few days later, it may boot with the same
>> wordings. Now it really dead. Will not boot in CD. I suspect the KB
>> (keyboard)
>> is bad. I removed the keyboard KB, I had no ways checking if the Keyboard
>> is bad. Had also checked the two memory slots and switched the rams. I
>> don't think the trouble is here. I have installed a new 60Gb HD, 2Gb ram.
>> have recovery CD diskettes for this used laptop. Any suggestion before I
>> junked it?

>No, that NG isn't dead. It's just not quite as active as this one.

BTW, where is everybody? I tried posting in
Thinkpad Forum, but dunno how to post correctly.

>Have you swapped out the CMOS battery yet? Give that a shot. No idea where
>it is in the T30 (or the R51, for that matter; my spare 'puter), but I'd
>replace it first, if you can find it. It's a lot cheaper than a keyboard,
>I'm sure. Good luck!

Ok, I will get a new replacement, and will return in a day or two.
One more question: From Thinkpad Forum, a bad RAM may also cause
the same symptom as I described above, is it true?

Further both banks RAM are new, I may try to test reinstall the old RAM, if I
can find them.

Thanks, I appreciate it very much.

Tom Rutherford

"dwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 17:38:39 -0500, "Tom Rutherford" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>> Thinkpad, T30 Type 2366-96U
>>> O/S XP Pro, SP3 upto date.
>>> 2Gb ram
>>>
>>> After using infrequently for a few months as spare. Will not boot and no
>>> booting options, plain dark screen. Before it died, it still boots for a
>>> few
>>> times. During booting, I don't remember the exact wording in DOS screen
>>> "key's error". If switch on a few days later, it may boot with the same
>>> wordings. Now it really dead. Will not boot in CD. I suspect the KB
>>> (keyboard)
>>> is bad. I removed the keyboard KB, I had no ways checking if the
>>> Keyboard
>>> is bad. Had also checked the two memory slots and switched the rams. I
>>> don't think the trouble is here. I have installed a new 60Gb HD, 2Gb
>>> ram.
>>> have recovery CD diskettes for this used laptop. Any suggestion before I
>>> junked it?

>>No, that NG isn't dead. It's just not quite as active as this one.

> BTW, where is everybody? I tried posting in
> Thinkpad Forum, but dunno how to post correctly.

Neither do I, but I don't typically hit the web forums for help. Some of
the interfaces are worse than unreadable for these eyes.

>>Have you swapped out the CMOS battery yet? Give that a shot. No idea
>>where
>>it is in the T30 (or the R51, for that matter; my spare 'puter), but I'd
>>replace it first, if you can find it. It's a lot cheaper than a keyboard,
>>I'm sure. Good luck!

> Ok, I will get a new replacement, and will return in a day or two.
> One more question: From Thinkpad Forum, a bad RAM may also cause
> the same symptom as I described above, is it true?

I wouldn't discount it, but since you already tried swapping the sticks, it
doesn't seem likely. Now, if you did something stupid, like plugging 240V
AC into the USB port, that could shoot the RAM, but it would also take out
the rest of the system, probably.

> Further both banks RAM are new, I may try to test reinstall the old RAM,
> if I
> can find them.

That CMOS battery will go bad, eventually, anyway, so I'd try that first.

> Thanks, I appreciate it very much.

YW.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."

Tom Rutherford

"T.C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 17:38:39 -0500, "Tom Rutherford"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> "dwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > I posted this in Newsgroups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad for over aweek
>> > and no one responded. I believe that NG is dead.
>> >
>> > Anyone here can help? Thanks. I appreciate it.
>> >
>> > Thinkpad, T30 Type 2366-96U
>> > O/S XP Pro, SP3 upto date.
>> > 2Gb ram
>> >
>> > After using infrequently for a few months as spare. Will not boot and
>> > no
>> > booting options, plain dark screen. Before it died, it still boots for
>> > few
>> > times. During booting, I don't remember the exact wording in DOS screen
>> > "key's error". If switch on a few days later, it may boot with the same
>> > wordings. Now it really dead. Will not boot in CD. I suspect the KB
>> > (keyboard)
>> > is bad. I removed the keyboard KB, I had no ways checking if the
>> > Keyboard
>> > is bad. Had also checked the two memory slots and switched the rams. I
>> > don't think the trouble is here. I have installed a new 60Gb HD, 2Gb
>> > ram.
>> > have recovery CD diskettes for this used laptop. Any suggestion before
>> > junked it?

>> No, that NG isn't dead. It's just not quite as active as this one.
>>
>> Have you swapped out the CMOS battery yet? Give that a shot. No idea
>> where
>> it is in the T30 (or the R51, for that matter; my spare 'puter), but I'd
>> replace it first, if you can find it. It's a lot cheaper than a
>> keyboard,
>> I'm sure. Good luck!

> Just a pointer:
>
> Hardware Maintenance Manuals:
>
> T30 http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...IGR-42308.html
> R51 http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...IGR-53169.html

Thanks!

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."

dwn

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 16:18:57 -0500, "Tom Rutherford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Thanks TC and to Tom, I have a flu and have not replace the CMOS battery nor did
I try one more time switching the RAM.

Please do come back after I did the above. I really wanna try to selvage this
computer. Time are hard and every bit saving help a long way.

Thanks again, :-)

>"T.C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 17:38:39 -0500, "Tom Rutherford"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> "dwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> No, that NG isn't dead. It's just not quite as active as this one.
>>>
>>> Have you swapped out the CMOS battery yet? Give that a shot. No idea
>>> where
>>> it is in the T30 (or the R51, for that matter; my spare 'puter), but I'd
>>> replace it first, if you can find it. It's a lot cheaper than a
>>> keyboard,
>>> I'm sure. Good luck!

>> Just a pointer:
>>
>> Hardware Maintenance Manuals:
>>
>> T30 http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...IGR-42308.html
>> R51 http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...IGR-53169.html

>Thanks!

Tom Rutherford

"dwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 16:18:57 -0500, "Tom Rutherford" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks TC and to Tom, I have a flu and have not replace the CMOS battery
> nor did
> I try one more time switching the RAM.
>
> Please do come back after I did the above. I really wanna try to selvage
> this
> computer. Time are hard and every bit saving help a long way.
>
> Thanks again, :-)

Oh, I don't plan to go anywhere. :-) Hope the flu flies away soon.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."

Bob Villa

On Feb 12, 12:35*am, dwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I posted this in Newsgroups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad for over aweek
> and no one responded. I believe that NG is dead.
>
> Anyone here can help? Thanks. I appreciate it.
>
> Thinkpad, T30 Type 2366-96U
> O/S XP Pro, SP3 upto date.
> 2Gb ram
>
> After using infrequently for a few months as spare. Will not boot and no
> booting options, plain dark screen. Before it died, it still boots for a few
> times. During booting, I don't remember the exact wording in DOS screen
> "keys error". If switch on a few days later, it may boot with the same
> wordings. Now it really dead. Will not boot in CD. I suspect the KB (keyboard)
> is bad. I removed the keyboard KB, I had no ways checking if the Keyboard
> is bad. Had also checked the two memory slots and switched the rams. I
> don't think the trouble is here. I have installed a new 60Gb HD, 2Gb ram.I
> *have recovery CD diskettes for this used laptop. Any suggestion beforeI
> junked it?

I have had "new" ram (All-Components) go bad after a few months (no
boot). A31

Tom Rutherford

"Bob Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Feb 12, 12:35 am, dwn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I posted this in Newsgroups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad for over aweek
> and no one responded. I believe that NG is dead.
>
> Anyone here can help? Thanks. I appreciate it.
>
> Thinkpad, T30 Type 2366-96U
> O/S XP Pro, SP3 upto date.
> 2Gb ram
>
> After using infrequently for a few months as spare. Will not boot and no
> booting options, plain dark screen. Before it died, it still boots for a
> few
> times. During booting, I don't remember the exact wording in DOS screen
> "keys error". If switch on a few days later, it may boot with the same
> wordings. Now it really dead. Will not boot in CD. I suspect the KB
> (keyboard)
> is bad. I removed the keyboard KB, I had no ways checking if the Keyboard
> is bad. Had also checked the two memory slots and switched the rams. I
> don't think the trouble is here. I have installed a new 60Gb HD, 2Gb ram.
> have recovery CD diskettes for this used laptop. Any suggestion before I
> junked it?

I have had "new" ram (All-Components) go bad after a few months (no
boot). A31

(Hmmm...Where'd the ">" go?) I typically buy Crucial or Corsair RAM, and
that just hasn't gone bad on me yet. Have a couple 1GB sticks of one or the
other in my R51. Think it's Corsair, but not 100%.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:11:59 -0500, "Tom Rutherford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Oh, I don't plan to go anywhere. :-) Hope the flu flies away soon.

I am back and the flu did flies awayand did a lot of walking yesterday.

I found the exact Panasonic battery, but I cannot find a shrink wrap (yellow
color wrapping that hold both terminals in place), no one able to shrink wrap
the CMOS. While looking for the battery, a store checked my CMOS and they are
still good. I tried switching the RAM module and no change. I guess that's all I
could do, the T30 is dead?

IBM T30 Will not bootup dwn IBM Thinkpad 1 03-15-2011 08:12 AM
Thinkpad T30 not booting (no HDD led on bootup) Jussi Saily IBM Thinkpad 3 02-23-2010 12:42 AM
ThinkPad T30 2366-41U ThinkPad T30 2366-41U ThinkPad T30 memory issue klouse Laptops 8 11-09-2006 12:39 AM
IBM T30, T30 or R50e BobH IBM Thinkpad 5 11-23-2005 12:49 AM
IBM T30 boots pc-dos but not ms-dos from memory key Michael Wileman IBM Thinkpad 7 11-16-2003 04:17 PM