IBM T40 backlighting on the blink...

Steve Stone

Went to power up my T40 this evening.

It only lights up for a second, enough time to see the full screen IBM
Thinkpad logo on the LCD, and then goes dark.
After that if I get the room lighting just right I can dimly see text on
the screen but it is like being in a coal mine without a light.

I tried reseating the cable from the LCD to the motherboard but no change.
Could this be an inverter card failure?

There was no warning that this failure was coming on.. Before today the
back lighting was fine.

Steve

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Steve Stone wrote:
> Went to power up my T40 this evening.
>
> It only lights up for a second, enough time to see the full screen IBM
> Thinkpad logo on the LCD, and then goes dark.
> After that if I get the room lighting just right I can dimly see text
> on the screen but it is like being in a coal mine without a light.
>
> I tried reseating the cable from the LCD to the motherboard but no
> change. Could this be an inverter card failure?
>
> There was no warning that this failure was coming on.. Before today
> the back lighting was fine.

Hi Steve. It'll either be the inverter or the CCFL (backlight) itself.
Depending on the price of a replacement inverter you could buy one first and
try that. Depending on the spec of your T40 and any attachment you may have
to it, it may or may not be worth getting the CCFL replaced either
professionally or, if you're very handy, having a stab at it yourself.
(Google CCFL replacement.) If your display is a 'FlexView' it would be worth
replacing the backlight IMO (if that's the problem) as they're superior
displays. I'd hate to have to go back to a TN (standard) LCD myself,
FlexView's rock!

Good luck,
--
Shaun.

LED backlighting! BillW50 Laptops 4 11-24-2008 09:23 AM
Oddity with Keyboard Backlighting on MacBook Pro TaliesinSoft Apple 4 11-04-2007 04:34 AM
IBM T40 and sales on IBM site North110 Laptops 1 01-12-2004 02:05 PM
IBM T40/T41 difference? And: IBM's dead pixel policy? Florian Kirstein Laptops 6 12-11-2003 05:37 AM
Re: Ibm t40's on sale at ibm web site Rodrick Su Laptops 0 06-24-2003 05:25 PM