IBM T60 - vendor for RAM

mehlREMOVETHIS@cyvest.com

Hello --

Can anyone recommend a vendor offering low prices on RAM.

Is there much reliability variation between Crucial, Kingston and the
other manufacturers?

Thanks for any information.

Larry Mehl

Adrian C

John Navas wrote:
> Yes, there are quality differences between vendors.
> Go with Crucial -- it's what I do. Kingston is also good.

Thinkpads are known to be somewhat fussy about memory specs, and
generally don't play well with standard generic stuff. Price paid for
buying a performance-dependable machine. Why strangle it?

Anyway decent branded memory _with support_ is cheaper now than it has
ever been. Crucial online everytime.

Fill yer boots :-)

--
Adrian C

Adrian C

John Navas wrote:
> Known to be fussy?

Yes, working in the memory support business a couple of years ago, we
were fielding issues supporting thinkpad owners with queries about
randomly disapearing and unrecognised memory upgrades. Some of it
naturally put down to fakes modules, faulty sockets and user
installation issues - but even with our branded products subtle changes
at the chip sourcing caused similar issues. I never came away with the
internal list of problem IBM laptops - wish I did :-(

I've personally never had that kind of problem in
> any of the 600-series and T-series ThinkPads I've owned and used --
> they've worked fine with both major brand and off-brand memory.

FWIW I've personally had T23 working well on some very off-brand back of
a chinese sweat shop toy grade encapsulated ebay no-name PC133 stuff,
but I maybe wouldn't control a missile launch battery with that... (just
yet)

>> Anyway decent branded memory _with support_ is cheaper now than it has
>> ever been. Crucial online everytime.

> Sure, but that's just because branded memory is now so cheap. When
> memory was much more expensive I used a fair amount of off-brand memory.

YMMV :-)

> Also, just because it looks branded doesn't mean it actually is branded
> -- a significant percentage of apparent branded memory is actually fake.
> Some of the fakes are pretty cheesy, but others are nearly
> indistinguishable from genuine.

One facinating incident of fakes were traced back to a factory that were
in the day manufacturing the brand's normal products, and then in the
night shift - gang workers crept back in to produce a batch using hooky
sourced components, visually indistiguisable from daytime product!

--
Adrian C

mehlREMOVETHIS@cyvest.com

On Dec 15, 10:47*am, Adrian C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> John Navas wrote:
> > Known to be fussy?

> Yes, working in the memory support business a couple of years ago, we
> were fielding issues supporting thinkpad owners with queries about
> randomly disapearing and unrecognised memory upgrades. Some of it
> naturally put down to fakes modules, faulty sockets and user
> installation issues - but even with our branded products subtle changes
> at the chip sourcing caused similar issues. I never came away with the
> internal list of problem IBM laptops - wish I did :-(
>
> * *I've personally never had that kind of problem in
>
> > any of the 600-series and T-series ThinkPads I've owned and used --
> > they've worked fine with both major brand and off-brand memory.

> FWIW I've personally had T23 working well on some very off-brand back of
> a chinese sweat shop toy grade encapsulated ebay no-name PC133 stuff,
> but I maybe wouldn't control a missile launch battery with that... (just
> yet)
>
> >> Anyway decent branded memory _with support_ is cheaper now than it has
> >> ever been. Crucial online everytime.

> > Sure, but that's just because branded memory is now so cheap. *When
> > memory was much more expensive I used a fair amount of off-brand memory..

> YMMV :-)
>
> > Also, just because it looks branded doesn't mean it actually is branded
> > -- a significant percentage of apparent branded memory is actually fake..
> > Some of the fakes are pretty cheesy, but others are nearly
> > indistinguishable from genuine.

> One facinating incident of fakes were traced back to a factory that were
> in the day manufacturing the brand's normal products, and then in the
> night shift - gang workers crept back in to produce a batch using hooky
> sourced components, visually indistiguisable from daytime product!
>
> --
> Adrian C

Thank you all.

Larry M

Tom Rutherford

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello --
>
> Can anyone recommend a vendor offering low prices on RAM.
>
> Is there much reliability variation between Crucial, Kingston and the
> other manufacturers?
>
> Thanks for any information.

I've bought Crucial and Corsair, both what I consider top of the line. I
wouldn't hesitate to buy Kingston, either. I woudn't touch PNY with a barge
pole.

IMHO, go for reliable, not cheap. Of the three I consider top of the
line -- Crucial, Corsair, and Kingston, in that order (but they're so close
there's hardly a hair's breadth of difference), I'd even go for pulls, if I
could find them, and wanted to save money. I've bought only new memory,
though. But, there are other brands. Newegg advertises a lot of OCZ. Not
sure how good they are, but I haven't bought anything bad from Newegg yet.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
(Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)

Tom Rutherford

"John Navas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 03:21:30 -0500, "Tom Rutherford"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <sWU1l.2937$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
> >IMHO, go for reliable, not cheap. Of the three I consider top of the
> >line -- Crucial, Corsair, and Kingston, in that order (but they're so

close
> >there's hardly a hair's breadth of difference), I'd even go for pulls, if

> >could find them, and wanted to save money. I've bought only new memory,
> >though. But, there are other brands. Newegg advertises a lot of OCZ.

Not
> >sure how good they are, but I haven't bought anything bad from Newegg

yet.

> And it stands behind what it sells. Highly recommended. But given the
> dirt cheap price from Crucial direct, why go anywhere else?

BION, Newegg sometimes sells Crucial cheaper than Crucial does. I've bought
Crucial both ways, and as long as I'm buying Crucial, I'll go for the best
price.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
(Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)

Tom Rutherford

news:(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org...
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Tom Rutherford" typed:
> > "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hello --
> >>
> >> Can anyone recommend a vendor offering low prices on RAM.
> >>
> >> Is there much reliability variation between Crucial, Kingston and the
> >> other manufacturers?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any information.

> > I've bought Crucial and Corsair, both what I consider top of the
> > line. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Kingston, either. I woudn't touch
> > PNY with a barge pole.
> >
> > IMHO, go for reliable, not cheap. Of the three I consider top of the
> > line -- Crucial, Corsair, and Kingston, in that order (but they're so
> > close there's hardly a hair's breadth of difference), I'd even go for
> > pulls, if I could find them, and wanted to save money. I've bought
> > only new memory, though. But, there are other brands. Newegg
> > advertises a lot of OCZ. Not sure how good they are, but I haven't
> > bought anything bad from Newegg yet.

> Yep, when I maxed out my T40 I got 2 x 1GB Transcend (with Samsung chips)
> modules. They were NZ$70 each, postage included, and the vendor gave me
> right-of-return for a month if they didn't work in my ThinkPad. They've

been
> great.

Never heard of Transcend, but if they use Samsung chips, I wouldn't hesitate
to buy them. Not sure what the exchange rate is between the NZ$ and the
US$, but for DDR (not DDR2), US$79 is usually the street price these days.
It's what Crucial wanted, last time I bought a gig for the laptop. Newegg
wanted US$54, which is why I went with them.

> In fact I've used Transcend in my last few desktop builds (I often build /
> upgrade for others, friends and FoFs, usually in return for updated

hardware
> or, rarely, cash) and find it to be a good, reliable brand. There is no

New
> Zealand Crucial, Kingston or Corsair presence, just agents / importers who
> price the stuff almost out of the market. Transcend *do* make some budget
> stuff but I tend to not use their cheapest option, always buying at least
> one level up.

Well, it sounds like you don't really need those three biggies, then.

> Most US mail/web order places (including Newegg) won't post international
> and the few that do really bite with postal charges, making it

uneconomical.

Yipe! Newegg won't even sell to Alaska, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico, as I
recall; just the Continental U.S.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
(Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)

Tom Rutherford

"John Navas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 23:12:07 -0500, "Tom Rutherford"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <rXv2l.10236$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
> >Never heard of Transcend, but if they use Samsung chips, I wouldn't

hesitate
> >to buy them.

> There's much more to a good memory module than the chips -- you can have
> Samsung (or any other brand) chips and it can still be a poorly designed
> and/or poorly made module that's flaky in us. The brand of module does
> matter!

Okay, but why make a lousy module with good components? Whatever, I guess.
I'll just keep buying Crucial, Corsair, etc.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
(Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)

Tom Rutherford

news:(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org...
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Tom Rutherford" typed:
> > "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org...
> >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Tom Rutherford" typed:

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Yep, when I maxed out my T40 I got 2 x 1GB Transcend (with Samsung
> >> chips) modules. They were NZ$70 each, postage included, and the
> >> vendor gave me right-of-return for a month if they didn't work in my
> >> ThinkPad. They've been great.

> > Never heard of Transcend, but if they use Samsung chips, I wouldn't
> > hesitate to buy them. Not sure what the exchange rate is between the
> > NZ$ and the US$, but for DDR (not DDR2), US$79 is usually the street
> > price these days. It's what Crucial wanted, last time I bought a gig
> > for the laptop. Newegg wanted US$54, which is why I went with them.

> I think that NZ$1 buys about 70 cents US. That means I paid around US$50 a
> module. Not bad, usually we pay 1.5x US prices here despite being closer

> Asia. However, when I bought them they *were* on a one-day only special

with
> my usual supplier.

I hear that from folks in Oz, too, about paying more, even though they're
closer to Asia. I do like those one-day deals, though, when I need
something, and just happen to run across a good deal.

> >> In fact I've used Transcend in my last few desktop builds (I often
> >> build / upgrade for others, friends and FoFs, usually in return for
> >> updated hardware or, rarely, cash) and find it to be a good,
> >> reliable brand. There is no New Zealand Crucial, Kingston or Corsair
> >> presence, just agents / importers who price the stuff almost out of
> >> the market. Transcend *do* make some budget stuff but I tend to not
> >> use their cheapest option, always buying at least one level up.

> > Well, it sounds like you don't really need those three biggies, then.

> Yeah, although a lot of people read US reviews / magazines / websites so

pay
> through the nose for whatever is mentioned..

I can see where that would happen. Do you have anything analogous to
"Consumer Reports", only for NZ? It would be nice to be able to
compare/contrast locally available brands with those available here. I've
read of a few brands available in Oz that I'd never heard of, but they
appear to be top notch.

> We actually get a few brand-names or models here that it's very hard to

find
> English-language info on.

Heh! Sometimes, what is supposed to be English in manuals for products sold
here turns out to be Manglish. :-) With Taiwanese motherboards, Korean
memory, Japanese this and Chinese that, it gets confusing. I bought a
little handheld transceiver last March that transmits in the 2m, 1.5m, and
70cm amateur radio bands. The radio is made by Vertex Standard, which I
believe is Japanese. It's re-badged as Yaesu, also Japanese. There are
versions of the radio for North America, Europe, and Asia, with certain
frequencies blocked and certain others opened up, maybe some differences in
power output on different bands. The radio, TTBOMK, is made in Japan, but
some accessories are made in China. It amazes me that the manual turned out
to be as well done as it is! There are some slight inconsistencies in the
radio's firmware, though, like some of the shortwave presets being invalid.
F'rinstance, there is no more BBC World Service available via shortwave, yet
if you tune through the 83 preset shortwave frequencies, that one comes up
from time to time. And, I haven't figured out how to edit the text tags on
those presets to correct them. Still, I'm glad I bought the radio, because
it performs well in the amateur bands.

> >> Most US mail/web order places (including Newegg) won't post
> >> international and the few that do really bite with postal charges,
> >> making it uneconomical.

> > Yipe! Newegg won't even sell to Alaska, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico, as I
> > recall; just the Continental U.S.

> Yeah, I think that's right. I remember trying to get some capacitors sent

> me from badcaps.com. No luck there either, I had to open a trade account
> with a local branch of a wholesaler. It saved me money though. ;-)

That's rough. I hope you got your capacitors. Here, we'd either go to the
local Radio Shack (Tandy to you, maybe; it's Tandy in Oz) and order them, or
we'd order them from Digi-Key or Jameco. Or, if we happened to be in a town
where there's a real electronic supply store, there's where we'd go. Maybe
things will improve as time goes by.

Tom Rutherford wrote:
> "John Navas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> There's much more to a good memory module than the chips -- you can have
>> Samsung (or any other brand) chips and it can still be a poorly designed
>> and/or poorly made module that's flaky in us. The brand of module does
>> matter!

Yup.

> Okay, but why make a lousy module with good components?

It sells :-(

"Good" Components are actually graded like potatoes and the best end up
on one modules and the worst on another. Some of the worst will be
re-marked to look like the best, or in the case of some re-marked to
look completely anonymous. The you have the fake stuff to contend with.

Whatever, I guess.
> I'll just keep buying Crucial, Corsair, etc.

The issue is that there should be technical support and a decent RMA
system, and a guarantee that you will hardly need to use either.

Crucial... :-)

--
Adrian C