Ibm Thinkpad T60

Dark

Hi

I would like to increase the memory upgrade RAM in a computer Ibm/Lenovo
Thinkpad T60.

Do you know whether can use 2.5 GB ram?

Thanks

Regards

George

"Dark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi
>
>I would like to increase the memory upgrade RAM in a computer Ibm/Lenovo
>Thinkpad T60.
>
>Do you know whether can use 2.5 GB ram?

Thinkpad T60 hardware specifications, courtesy ThinkWiki.org
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T60
The T60 will accommodate up to 4GiB memory.

Recommended download: Lenovo Thinkpad T60 Hardware Maintenance
Manual.
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/deta...cID=migr-62733

Other resources:
newsgroup: comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad
Thinkpads.com Support Community
http://forum.thinkpads.com/index.php

HTH.
--
George Ruch
"Is there life in Clovis after Clovis Man?"

Dark

Thanks

You think that this sodimm, function with Ibm-Lenovo/ThinkPad T60?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...rii667mhz.jpg/

Thanks

Regards

George

"Dark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks
>
>You think that this sodimm, function with Ibm-Lenovo/ThinkPad T60?
>
>http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...rii667mhz.jpg/

Possible, but that may depend on the specific model. Here's a
link to Kingston's Memory Search page.
http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/Options/

Dark

Ok, thanks.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs George wrote:
> "Dark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I would like to increase the memory upgrade RAM in a computer
>> Ibm/Lenovo Thinkpad T60.
>>
>> Do you know whether can use 2.5 GB ram?

> Thinkpad T60 hardware specifications, courtesy ThinkWiki.org
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T60
> The T60 will accommodate up to 4GiB memory.

That is correct, as it is written. (It would also 'accomodate' 4GB but
likely wouldn't boot.)

The T60 will run fine with 2 x 2GB SODIMMs. However *any* operating system
will only see 3GB. This is a limitation of the Intel chipset, not a 32-bit
thing. The only benefit to adding 2 x 2GB rather than 2GB + 1GB (as I have
in this machine now) is the small, low single-digit benefit (~4%?) of
running in synetrical dual-channel RAM mode.

I used to have 2 x 2GB but as the price of DDR2 RAM went up and I acquired
another machine that had 2 x 1GB SODIMMs I swapped one and haven't noticed
the difference.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

the wharf rat

In article <jhuqh7$q29$(E-Mail Removed)>,
~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The T60 will run fine with 2 x 2GB SODIMMs. However *any* operating system
>will only see 3GB. This is a limitation of the Intel chipset, not a 32-bit
>thing.

Ummmmm, horseshit.

The 945 chipset on the T60 supports more than 3GB of memory on 64 bit
operating systems or 32 bit systems that properly handle PAE. Like Linux.

Pffffttttt.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs the wharf rat wrote:
> In article <jhuqh7$q29$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> The T60 will run fine with 2 x 2GB SODIMMs. However *any* operating
>> system will only see 3GB. This is a limitation of the Intel chipset,
>> not a 32-bit thing.

> Ummmmm, horseshit.
>
> The 945 chipset on the T60 supports more than 3GB of memory on 64 bit
> operating systems or 32 bit systems that properly handle PAE. Like
> Linux.
>
> Pffffttttt.

That's not a very nice way to talk to someone who only writes as fact what
he knows about from personal experience. However, as you're calling me a
liar; From this site http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T60

"512 MB or 1 GB PC2-5300 memory standard upgradable to 4 GB [1]

[1] Due to an addressing limitation in the Intel 945PM and 945GM chipsets,
only 3GB will be available for use."

Another URL for you:
http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/view...89fd82d458526d

I could find more URLs for you but I think my point is made. The quality of
any info you give out has been shown for what it's worth. Shame, you seemed
decent.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

~misfit~

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs the wharf rat wrote:
>> In article <jhuqh7$q29$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> The T60 will run fine with 2 x 2GB SODIMMs. However *any* operating
>>> system will only see 3GB. This is a limitation of the Intel chipset,
>>> not a 32-bit thing.

>> Ummmmm, horseshit.
>>
>> The 945 chipset on the T60 supports more than 3GB of memory on 64 bit
>> operating systems or 32 bit systems that properly handle PAE. Like
>> Linux.
>>
>> Pffffttttt.

> That's not a very nice way to talk to someone who only writes as fact
> what he knows about from personal experience. However, as you're
> calling me a liar; From this site
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T60

[snip]

No apology Rat? Classy.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

the wharf rat

In article <jihao2$b7v$(E-Mail Removed)>,
~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>No apology Rat? Classy.
>--

Apology for what? First of all, I never said anything about lying.
You made that up in your own little head. Secondly, you're completely wrong.
The chipset on the T60 will support access to the full 4GB of installable
RAM (minus a few MB for PCI addressing) when coupled with an operating system
that supports PAE, including Windows Datacenter and Enterprise editions and
most Linuxes.

I don't need any URL other than the Intel datasheet. You're
misinterpreting the IBM documentation, because anything other than an
officially supported platform using one of MS's crippled workstation
editions is invisible to the people writing that stuff.

>"Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
>cozy little classification in the DSM."

I'd settle for a statistically significant fraction of them Reading TFM.