ibm thinkpad update software problem

Brent Starkes

hey,

when i install the update software on my thinkpad r40(2722-GCU)
i get an invalid machine type.... any ideas on how to fix this
without bring it to the shop...

i just had it in and it took 4 F*^&$&^ weeks to get it back and i dont
want to see those idiots again.

i updated the bois to the latest version.

Bobby

Serial # and model information is in the registry. You would get invalid
machine type if you take a drive with the OS on it from one machine and
install it in another - this causes a mismatch between what is in BIOS and
what the registry reports.

There are multiple entries in the Registry and you have to change all of
them.

"Brent Starkes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42c1c508$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hey,
>
> when i install the update software on my thinkpad r40(2722-GCU)
> i get an invalid machine type.... any ideas on how to fix this
> without bring it to the shop...
>
> i just had it in and it took 4 F*^&$&^ weeks to get it back and i dont
> want to see those idiots again.
>
> i updated the bois to the latest version.

GomJabbar

>From what I've read, you need an IBM Hardware Maintenance diskette to
set the serial numbers. Check out the following forums:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic...ce+maintenance

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic...ware+installer

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic...ware+installer

Anthony R. Gold

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:08:59 -0400, "Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Serial # and model information is in the registry.

That is bad information. They are embedded in firmware on the system
board and not primarily in the registry or anywhere else on the hard
drive. Removing the hard drive and booting into BIOS will show that.

Tony

Bobby

Not really - it is in firmware (of course), it is also in the registry - the
reason the original poster is getting an invalid machine type is because the
BIOS and the registry are giving conflicting information.

"Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:08:59 -0400, "Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Serial # and model information is in the registry.

> That is bad information. They are embedded in firmware on the system
> board and not primarily in the registry or anywhere else on the hard
> drive. Removing the hard drive and booting into BIOS will show that.
>
> Tony

Anthony R. Gold

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 08:50:27 -0400, "Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Not really - it is in firmware (of course), it is also in the registry - the
> reason the original poster is getting an invalid machine type is because the
> BIOS and the registry are giving conflicting information.

Not in my experience.

To keep my desktop and portable computers synchronised I restore the
entire disk image from my T42 onto my X40s, complete with registry,
programs, drivers and all. After doing that, all I need do is uninstall
the T42 ATI video package and replace it with the X40 Intel Extreme one.
The machines have very different model and serial numbers and that has
never stopped the Software Installer from doing its thing correctly for
the right model.

I suspect that the model number in the system flash RAM has been changed,
perhaps, by use or abuse of a firmware update tool, to an invalid number.

The user should boot into BIOS and check to see whether the model number
displayed there still agrees with what is printed on the machine's label.

Tony

Brent Starkes

yeah... the dame fx-37812(it matchs) is there but the morons forgot to
update the serial number(its blank)

"Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 08:50:27 -0400, "Bobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Not really - it is in firmware (of course), it is also in the registry -
>> the
>> reason the original poster is getting an invalid machine type is because
>> the
>> BIOS and the registry are giving conflicting information.

> Not in my experience.
>
> To keep my desktop and portable computers synchronised I restore the
> entire disk image from my T42 onto my X40s, complete with registry,
> programs, drivers and all. After doing that, all I need do is uninstall
> the T42 ATI video package and replace it with the X40 Intel Extreme one.
> The machines have very different model and serial numbers and that has
> never stopped the Software Installer from doing its thing correctly for
> the right model.
>
> I suspect that the model number in the system flash RAM has been changed,
> perhaps, by use or abuse of a firmware update tool, to an invalid number.
>
> The user should boot into BIOS and check to see whether the model number
> displayed there still agrees with what is printed on the machine's label.
>
> Tony

Donkey Agony

Anthony R. Gold wrote:
> To keep my desktop and portable computers synchronised I restore the
> entire disk image from my T42 onto my X40s, complete with registry,
> programs, drivers and all. After doing that, all I need do is
> uninstall the T42 ATI video package and replace it with the X40 Intel
> Extreme one. The machines have very different model and serial
> numbers and that has never stopped the Software Installer from doing
> its thing correctly for the right model.

Wow.

I used to do transport an IDE drive back and forth between several
machines back in the Win95 days, but I've never heard of anyone doing
anything like that with XP-based systems -- before your post. I suppose
if the machines are similar *enough* in hardware architecture (and you
know how to work around XP's whatever-they-call-it "are you legal?"
check!) that it's doable, but I'm not sure how much time *I'd* want to
spend trying to get such a thing to work.

--
da
~~

Anthony R. Gold

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:36:38 -0400, "Donkey Agony" <root@[127.0.0.1]>
wrote:

> I used to do transport an IDE drive back and forth between several
> machines back in the Win95 days, but I've never heard of anyone doing
> anything like that with XP-based systems -- before your post. I suppose
> if the machines are similar *enough* in hardware architecture (and you
> know how to work around XP's whatever-they-call-it "are you legal?"
> check!) that it's doable, but I'm not sure how much time *I'd* want to
> spend trying to get such a thing to work.

It takes no time and it sure beats keeping multiple architectures current
for new releases of web browsers and my applications data.

I guess that the T42 and X40 are somewhat similar apart from the video.
One other factor is that I edit the Volume Serial Numbers of the Hard
Drives to match in case applications are locked onto that. It also helps
that IBM computers all use an OEM release of XP, so there is no activation
issue or the need to be storing and restoring the wpa.dbl files.

Tony

Brent Starkes

solution: edit registery

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\ThinkPadSoftwareIn staller\SysInfoOW]
"MachineType"="2722"
"ModelName"="GCU"

its not a fix for the bios or the morons at the shop.... but it works

Brent