IC7-G -24 Bios wont boot my SATA (non-raid) drives

William Graves

IC7-G II
Very strange. -19 Bios works just fine.
Program to -24 and I have to use a floppy to boot. Keep getting drive
doesn't have OS or something type message.

I kept the CMOS contents the same and went back and forth to verify this
behavior.
Also same problem with a -25 BIOS that I could only find by having the
FlashMenu find the most current version!

Anyone else seen this?

I have two SATA hard drives. One is SATA1 other SATA2, non-RAID, and no
other IDE devices (CDROM on SCSI).
I have the Silicon Raid chip disabled.

-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Graves RKBA!
(E-Mail Removed)

TomG

sounds to me like you are missing something in the settings in the bios.
I'm running a SATA raid 0 array on the Intel controller without issue. no
hard drives on PATA IDE, only DVD-ROM and DVD burner on PATA. another SATA
drive on the SI controller... boots just fine.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"William Graves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mngSc.17067$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> IC7-G II
> Very strange. -19 Bios works just fine.
> Program to -24 and I have to use a floppy to boot. Keep getting drive
> doesn't have OS or something type message.
>
> I kept the CMOS contents the same and went back and forth to verify this
> behavior.
> Also same problem with a -25 BIOS that I could only find by having the
> FlashMenu find the most current version!
>
> Anyone else seen this?
>
> I have two SATA hard drives. One is SATA1 other SATA2, non-RAID, and no
> other IDE devices (CDROM on SCSI).
> I have the Silicon Raid chip disabled.
>
> -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Bill Graves RKBA!
> (E-Mail Removed)

Mecho

that I >IC7-G II
>Very strange. -19 Bios works just fine.
>Program to -24 and I have to use a floppy to boot. Keep getting drive
>doesn't have OS or something type message.
>
>I kept the CMOS contents the same and went back and forth to verify this
>behavior.
>Also same problem with a -25 BIOS that I could only find by having the
>FlashMenu find the most current version!
>
>Anyone else seen this?
>
>I have two SATA hard drives. One is SATA1 other SATA2, non-RAID, and no
>other IDE devices (CDROM on SCSI).
>I have the Silicon Raid chip disabled.
>
>-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>Bill Graves RKBA!
>(E-Mail Removed)

Clear your CMOS properly. Then set accordingly.

William Graves

> Clear your CMOS properly. Then set accordingly.
Yes, I disconnect power supply, change jumper, pull battery and wait 30
minutes. Then I get a CMOS checksum error, and it sets defaults, then I
re-enter my settings. Result = POST, then Floppy light comes on then no can
boot message. It is really insistent on this floppy boot even if I remove
BOOT FLOPPY from ALL bios settings!

If I put in a floppy it boots fine! Why if the floppy is empty, won't it
boot the SATA drives?

NOW if I leave the BIOS in the above state and just flash back to -19, all
works perfectly and the SATA drives are booted.
This is beyond bizarre (sp?)

-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Graves RKBA!
(E-Mail Removed)

> >Very strange. -19 Bios works just fine.
> >Program to -24 and I have to use a floppy to boot. Keep getting drive
> >doesn't have OS or something type message.
> >
> >I kept the CMOS contents the same and went back and forth to verify this
> >behavior.
> >Also same problem with a -25 BIOS that I could only find by having the
> >FlashMenu find the most current version!
> >
> >Anyone else seen this?
> >
> >I have two SATA hard drives. One is SATA1 other SATA2, non-RAID, and no
> >other IDE devices (CDROM on SCSI).
> >I have the Silicon Raid chip disabled.

Richard Hopkins

"William Graves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message...
> IC7-G II
> Very strange. -19 Bios works just fine.
> Program to -24 and I have to use a floppy to boot. Keep getting drive
> doesn't have OS or something type message.

There are some changes made to the Intel Serial ATA BIOS core between these
two builds so it's not too surprising you're seeing oddness; you're not the
first.

> I kept the CMOS contents the same and went back and forth to verify
> this behavior.

Eh? You kept the CMOS contents the same? Does this mean you reset the CMOS
with the jumper then manually re-entered all the parameters, or does it mean
you simply flashed the BIOSes back and forth without using the jumper at
all?

If you are doing the latter, try resetting the CMOS and doing it all again.

> Also same problem with a -25 BIOS that I could only find by having
> the FlashMenu find the most current version!

The 25 BIOS is on Abit's main download site. Do you have the latest drivers
loaded for the Intel SATA controller by the way?

> I have two SATA hard drives. One is SATA1 other SATA2,
> non-RAID, and no other IDE devices (CDROM on SCSI).

Have you made sure the boot priority options in the Advanced Setup section
of the BIOS are correct - i.e. Onchip SATA, HDD-0 as the first boot device
option? Would also be worth removing the SCSI controller temporarily to see
if that clears it.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

TomG

sounds like the Boot Priority menu is not set up correctly to add-in device
and then add-in device set to onchip SATA?

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

news:ryzSc.18054$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...

"TomG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> sounds like the Boot Priority menu is not set up correctly to add-in

device
> and then add-in device set to onchip SATA?
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified

That's what is so strange. Add-in device is set to OnBoard SATA. 1st
Device=Floppy, 2nd=CDROM, 3rd=Hard drive.
BUT even if I set 1st=hard drive, 2nd=disabled, 3rd=disabled, it STILL goes
to the floppy! And this is after reset CMOS and pulling battery for 30
minutes then entering parameters. It is bizarre!

-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Graves RKBA!
(E-Mail Removed)

John Lewis

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 03:28:18 GMT, "William Graves"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>IC7-G II
>Very strange. -19 Bios works just fine.
>Program to -24 and I have to use a floppy to boot. Keep getting drive
>doesn't have OS or something type message.

What is the EXACT message ?

You may need to re-install the OS. There was significant changes in
BIOS for ICH5 in -24 and -25. If you have a spare SATA drive,
you could try a baseline OS install and see if the problem disappears.

John Lewis

>I kept the CMOS contents the same and went back and forth to verify this
>behavior.
>Also same problem with a -25 BIOS that I could only find by having the
>FlashMenu find the most current version!
>
>Anyone else seen this?
>
>I have two SATA hard drives. One is SATA1 other SATA2, non-RAID, and no
>other IDE devices (CDROM on SCSI).
>I have the Silicon Raid chip disabled.
>
>-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>Bill Graves RKBA!
>(E-Mail Removed)

William Graves

> sounds like the Boot Priority menu is not set up correctly to add-in
device
> and then add-in device set to onchip SATA?
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified

Well actually, it is. Add-In device is on-CHIP SATA, add-in device is
enabled. 1st Boot is Floppy, 2nd is CDROM 3rd is HARD DISK. But I have
actually tried 1st=hard disk and other 2 disabled with the same result.

During POST it shows my two SATA drives as IDE-1 and IDE-2 BUT then it tries
to boot the floppy every time!
I am duplicating the CMOS setup for a BIOS -19 and then a BIOS -21. The -19
works just fine but the -21 (and later) all exhibit this strange desire to
boot a non-existent floppy.
-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Graves RKBA!
(E-Mail Removed)

> "William Graves" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ryzSc.18054$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> > > Clear your CMOS properly. Then set accordingly.

> > Yes, I disconnect power supply, change jumper, pull battery and wait 30
> > minutes. Then I get a CMOS checksum error, and it sets defaults, then I
> > re-enter my settings. Result = POST, then Floppy light comes on then no

> can
> > boot message. It is really insistent on this floppy boot even if I

remove
> > BOOT FLOPPY from ALL bios settings!
> >
> > If I put in a floppy it boots fine! Why if the floppy is empty, won't

it
> > boot the SATA drives?
> >
> > NOW if I leave the BIOS in the above state and just flash back to -19,

all
> > works perfectly and the SATA drives are booted.
> > This is beyond bizarre (sp?)
> >
> > -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> > Bill Graves RKBA!
> > (E-Mail Removed)

drive

> this

the

> no

William Graves

"Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:411b35af$0$20244$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There are some changes made to the Intel Serial ATA BIOS core between

these
> two builds so it's not too surprising you're seeing oddness; you're not

the
> first.
>
> Eh? You kept the CMOS contents the same? Does this mean you reset the CMOS
> with the jumper then manually re-entered all the parameters, or does it

mean
> you simply flashed the BIOSes back and forth without using the jumper at
> all?
>
> If you are doing the latter, try resetting the CMOS and doing it all

again.

Thanks, good to know that the SATA BIOS core did change. I have tried
the -21 BIOS with the same result. Is that when the change was made?

CMOS reset for -25 was shutdown, power off, remove battery, set jumper and
wait 30 minutes. Then boot and get same problem after setting the CMOS
parameters (press DEL etc). What is interesting to me is after this -25
failure, I reset the BIOS to -19 WITHOUT clearing and the system booted just
fine! Could there be a hardware revision needed for these later bios
versions?
Bill Graves RKBA!
(E-Mail Removed)