IC7-Max3 SATA Drivers

Xenolith0

I just got an IC7-Max3 motherboard, got it setup, and working.

For now it's just running one HD on IDE1 until my sata
drives get delievered, and that's where my question comes in. Having never
used SATA or SATA-RAID before I'm a tad confused.

I know there are drivers on the floppy disk that came with the motherboard,
for loading drivers during windows setup. I'm guessing there are newer
drivers
out there. Where could I get newer sata drivers for running a drive
connected to sata 1 or 2?

I also have a question about Dual Channel RAM. From reading several posts in
this group,
I've picked up that you can use two sticks of equal ram to run in dual
channel mode, that you don't need to buy 'matched' sets.
So, does that mean I could get any brand sticks, as long as thier equal
size/speed and they'd work in dual-channel mode?
Do they have to have the same rated timings?
Do they even need to be the same brand (assuming there's no conflicts)?

TomG

if you are going to run the SATA raid, I would use the Intel ICH5R SATA
channel for the raid as that bypasses the PCI bus. You will need to load
SATA drivers just the same as you might for a Highpoint raid by hitting F6
during the OS install. there are SATA driver for both the Intel and SI
controllers on the floppy that comes with the board.

if you flash to the newest bios for the board, there is a chance that the
Intel SATA bios will get updated with the current Intel SATA bios being
3.5.0.2568 and like the Highpoint, you want to run matching drivers for the
bios so you would visit the Intel web site and get updated drivers for the
F6 floppy. those same drivers will then run the controller at the OS level.

The raid also benefits from having the Intel Application Accelerator - Raid
version application installed which is both a GUI to interface with the raid
but also aids performance by taking advantage of all features of the Intel
ICH5R SATA controller. This application can be downloaded from the Intel
site at the same location where you find the SATA F6 Floppy drivers. this
link will wrap but just go to the Intel page, downloads, chipset, select 875
chipset and you will see the files:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...l&submit=Go%21

as for dual channel ram, I would go with the fastest ram you can afford but
certainly no less than 3500. don't pay extra for "matched sets" as that is
unnecessary but I would certainly not try to go with two vastly different
sticks either.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 120,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Xenolith0" <(E-Mail Removed)0.com> wrote in message
news:VGPKb.2410$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just got an IC7-Max3 motherboard, got it setup, and working.
>
> For now it's just running one HD on IDE1 until my sata
> drives get delievered, and that's where my question comes in. Having never
> used SATA or SATA-RAID before I'm a tad confused.
>
> I know there are drivers on the floppy disk that came with the

motherboard,
> for loading drivers during windows setup. I'm guessing there are newer
> drivers
> out there. Where could I get newer sata drivers for running a drive
> connected to sata 1 or 2?
>
> I also have a question about Dual Channel RAM. From reading several posts

in
> this group,
> I've picked up that you can use two sticks of equal ram to run in dual
> channel mode, that you don't need to buy 'matched' sets.
> So, does that mean I could get any brand sticks, as long as thier equal
> size/speed and they'd work in dual-channel mode?
> Do they have to have the same rated timings?
> Do they even need to be the same brand (assuming there's no conflicts)?

Xenolith0

Thank you,
As you suggested, I've already flashed to the newest version
and as soon as my sata drives get here, I'll try them on the
Intel controller with IAA. Again, thank's Tom.

"TomG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> if you are going to run the SATA raid, I would use the Intel ICH5R SATA
> channel for the raid as that bypasses the PCI bus. You will need to load
> SATA drivers just the same as you might for a Highpoint raid by hitting F6
> during the OS install. there are SATA driver for both the Intel and SI
> controllers on the floppy that comes with the board.
>
> if you flash to the newest bios for the board, there is a chance that the
> Intel SATA bios will get updated with the current Intel SATA bios being
> 3.5.0.2568 and like the Highpoint, you want to run matching drivers for

the
> bios so you would visit the Intel web site and get updated drivers for the
> F6 floppy. those same drivers will then run the controller at the OS

level.

> The raid also benefits from having the Intel Application Accelerator -

Raid
> version application installed which is both a GUI to interface with the

raid
> but also aids performance by taking advantage of all features of the Intel
> ICH5R SATA controller. This application can be downloaded from the Intel
> site at the same location where you find the SATA F6 Floppy drivers. this
> link will wrap but just go to the Intel page, downloads, chipset, select

875
> chipset and you will see the files:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...l&submit=Go%21

> as for dual channel ram, I would go with the fastest ram you can afford

but
> certainly no less than 3500. don't pay extra for "matched sets" as that

is
> unnecessary but I would certainly not try to go with two vastly different
> sticks either.
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> over 120,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^

TomG

good luck with it and post back with any questions...

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com