IC7-MAX3 + SATA Maxtor drives & XP install

Chris

I'm about to set up a brand new IC7-MAX3 mobo with 3 new Maxtor SATA drives
(200Gb each) & install XP Pro SP1.
I'm terribly confused about all this 137Gb max drive size stuff, etc.
Can anyone explain how I should get XP installed on this setup?
Do I need to use MaxBlast3 to format/partition the drives?
Do I need any 'big drive enabler' stuff?
Do I need to load special SATA drivers during XP install? If I need any, do
these drivers come with the IC7-MAX3?
Any tips appreciated!
Chris.

T.F

if you run xp pro with service pack 1 theres no problems...
regards
Tommy

"Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:bDFdb.4435$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm about to set up a brand new IC7-MAX3 mobo with 3 new Maxtor SATA

drives
> (200Gb each) & install XP Pro SP1.
> I'm terribly confused about all this 137Gb max drive size stuff, etc.
> Can anyone explain how I should get XP installed on this setup?
> Do I need to use MaxBlast3 to format/partition the drives?
> Do I need any 'big drive enabler' stuff?
> Do I need to load special SATA drivers during XP install? If I need any,

do
> these drivers come with the IC7-MAX3?
> Any tips appreciated!
> Chris.

Courseyauto

That 137 gb applys to95, 98 and ME,not an NTFS OS.

SpeedyGonzales

Just done the same thing. (Same HW)
I installed XP on the max partition size, then upgraded XP to latest SP. I
then used Partition Magic and resized it up to max and took away aprox. 7mb.
(I did that because I've seen that other tools don't use 100% of disk. There
are always about 7mb left.)

SpeedyGonzales
news:bDFdb.4435$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm about to set up a brand new IC7-MAX3 mobo with 3 new Maxtor SATA

drives
> (200Gb each) & install XP Pro SP1.
> I'm terribly confused about all this 137Gb max drive size stuff, etc.
> Can anyone explain how I should get XP installed on this setup?
> Do I need to use MaxBlast3 to format/partition the drives?
> Do I need any 'big drive enabler' stuff?
> Do I need to load special SATA drivers during XP install? If I need any,

do
> these drivers come with the IC7-MAX3?
> Any tips appreciated!
> Chris.

Chris

Thx for the info. Did you have to load any special SATA drivers during the
first part of the XP setup (the part where you can press F6 to load
additional drivers)? I will NOT be using RAID.

"SpeedyGonzales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl7lj1$fbk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just done the same thing. (Same HW)
> I installed XP on the max partition size, then upgraded XP to latest SP. I
> then used Partition Magic and resized it up to max and took away aprox.

7mb.
> (I did that because I've seen that other tools don't use 100% of disk.

There
> are always about 7mb left.)
>
> SpeedyGonzales
> "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bDFdb.4435$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm about to set up a brand new IC7-MAX3 mobo with 3 new Maxtor SATA

> drives
> > (200Gb each) & install XP Pro SP1.
> > I'm terribly confused about all this 137Gb max drive size stuff, etc.
> > Can anyone explain how I should get XP installed on this setup?
> > Do I need to use MaxBlast3 to format/partition the drives?
> > Do I need any 'big drive enabler' stuff?
> > Do I need to load special SATA drivers during XP install? If I need any,

> do
> > these drivers come with the IC7-MAX3?
> > Any tips appreciated!
> > Chris.

TomG

stay away from the MaxBlast software...

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 117,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

news:bDFdb.4435$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm about to set up a brand new IC7-MAX3 mobo with 3 new Maxtor SATA

drives
> (200Gb each) & install XP Pro SP1.
> I'm terribly confused about all this 137Gb max drive size stuff, etc.
> Can anyone explain how I should get XP installed on this setup?
> Do I need to use MaxBlast3 to format/partition the drives?
> Do I need any 'big drive enabler' stuff?
> Do I need to load special SATA drivers during XP install? If I need any,

do
> these drivers come with the IC7-MAX3?
> Any tips appreciated!
> Chris.

TomG

uh, actually, the 137 gig limitation is also known as lack of 48 bit LBA
support. if your hardware OR OS do not support 48 bit LBA, then you cannot
go above about the 120 gig mark. The non-SP1 version of XP did not support
48 bit LBA out of the box without a registry tweak.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 117,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Courseyauto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That 137 gb applys to95, 98 and ME,not an NTFS OS.

TomG

you would need to load the SATA drivers even without raid if you are going
to install the OS on the SATA drives.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 117,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

news:laJdb.6035$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thx for the info. Did you have to load any special SATA drivers during the
> first part of the XP setup (the part where you can press F6 to load
> additional drivers)? I will NOT be using RAID.
>
> "SpeedyGonzales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bl7lj1$fbk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just done the same thing. (Same HW)
> > I installed XP on the max partition size, then upgraded XP to latest SP.

> > then used Partition Magic and resized it up to max and took away aprox.

> 7mb.
> > (I did that because I've seen that other tools don't use 100% of disk.

> There
> > are always about 7mb left.)
> >
> > SpeedyGonzales
> > "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bDFdb.4435$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I'm about to set up a brand new IC7-MAX3 mobo with 3 new Maxtor SATA

> > drives
> > > (200Gb each) & install XP Pro SP1.
> > > I'm terribly confused about all this 137Gb max drive size stuff, etc.
> > > Can anyone explain how I should get XP installed on this setup?
> > > Do I need to use MaxBlast3 to format/partition the drives?
> > > Do I need any 'big drive enabler' stuff?
> > > Do I need to load special SATA drivers during XP install? If I need

any,
> > do
> > > these drivers come with the IC7-MAX3?
> > > Any tips appreciated!
> > > Chris.

SpeedyGonzales

Nope...just ran the XP install.
XP had the appropiate driver for SATA, and you will see the drive in the
install list. You sould had it as only drive when you install XP. (I did).

SpeedyGonzales

"TomG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> you would need to load the SATA drivers even without raid if you are going
> to install the OS on the SATA drives.
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> over 117,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^
>

> "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:laJdb.6035$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thx for the info. Did you have to load any special SATA drivers during

the
> > first part of the XP setup (the part where you can press F6 to load
> > additional drivers)? I will NOT be using RAID.
> >
> > "SpeedyGonzales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bl7lj1$fbk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Just done the same thing. (Same HW)
> > > I installed XP on the max partition size, then upgraded XP to latest

SP.
> > > then used Partition Magic and resized it up to max and took away

aprox.
> > 7mb.
> > > (I did that because I've seen that other tools don't use 100% of disk.

> > There
> > > are always about 7mb left.)
> > >
> > > SpeedyGonzales
> > > "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bDFdb.4435$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > drives

etc.

> any,