iCloud with IMAP mail?

unfrostedpoptart

Question about iCloud. I've set it up with my Mac, iPhone, and iPad for calendar, contacts, and photostream and it works fine - if a bit slow sometimes.

My mail is through a hosting company and is set up with IMAP so I've already had everything syncing between all three devices. I haven't turned on Mail in iCloud since it didn't seem like I needed it. Would it give my any advantage? Would it just screw things up that are already working without it?

Thanks,

David

Fletcher

On 2011-10-27, unfrostedpoptart <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My mail is through a hosting company and is set up with IMAP so I've
> already had everything syncing between all three devices. I haven't
> turned on Mail in iCloud since it didn't seem like I needed it. Would
> it give my any advantage? Would it just screw things up that are
> already working without it?

When I turned on iCloud's Mail syncing on my iPod Touch, it prompted
me to create a "me.com" email account, which I declined (like you,
I use a third party IMAP provider). So apparently mail syncing
through iCloud means using Apple's email service. Probably that's
why it was turned off by default: it recognized I had an existing
IMAP account, so there was nothing meaningful iCloud could do with
it short of changing over to Apple's service.

Matt

unfrostedpoptart

Thanks - makes sense.

iCloud mail imap access...? glawrie Apple 20 10-21-2011 12:01 PM
IMAP Folders Michael B Allen Apple 1 02-22-2005 07:16 AM
Crypto Accelerator For IMAP/POP/SMTP connections - thoughts? Jim Noonan Sun Hardware 1 05-19-2004 10:33 PM
IMAP account via Mail Tom H Apple 1 05-11-2004 11:23 PM
Panther (release) and Eudora IMAP George Nospam Apple 6 10-24-2003 09:28 PM