IDE interfacing with 8051 new problem (old one fixed)

bob

So now I can seemingly read and write sectors on the hard drive and
store the data in a 512 byte buffer in my ram, but whenever I read a
sector, no matter what, I get the same data, an alternating pattern of
FF and 7F for the whole sector. Any thoughts? I am using LBA
(logical block addressing) which basically treats the whole drive as
an amorphous array of sectors. However Im not sure that I know what
im doing with the addressing scheme. This may be my problem. I just
choose a low address like 00 00 00 01h as the sector to be accessed,
but I dont know if there are constraints on which sectors I can
actually access successfully except that if I try to access a sector
with too high an address i.e 01 00 00 00h it gives me an error because
the hard drive is not that big. Any help?