Identify USB pins on MX64

Tom Young

Hi all:

I've got a motherboard out of an ACER computer that I've identified as
a MX64. I just transfered the motherboard to a "cheapie" case that
has front USB ports, but I can't determine how to hook the ports to
the USB2 pins on the board.

The ribbon to the front USB ports on the case are as follows:

"Gnd 1", "Gnd2", both black
"-D1","-D2", both white
"VCC1", "VCC2", both red
"+D1", "+D2", both green

The motherboard has a "USB2" pin layout as follows:

Pin 10 * * Pin 9
Blank Blank
Pin * * Pin
Pin * * Pin
Pin * * Pin
Pin 2 * * Pin 1

The manual for this motherboard identifies the "USB2" port on the
motherboard but doesn't identify individual pins.

Can anybody help me here?

TIA.

Tom Young

Tom Young

JK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On 2 Sep 2003 18:51:17 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Tom Young) wrote:
>
> >Hi all:
> >
> >I've got a motherboard out of an ACER computer that I've identified as
> >a MX64. I just transfered the motherboard to a "cheapie" case that
> >has front USB ports, but I can't determine how to hook the ports to
> >the USB2 pins on the board.
> >
> >The ribbon to the front USB ports on the case are as follows:
> >
> >"Gnd 1", "Gnd2", both black
> >"-D1","-D2", both white
> >"VCC1", "VCC2", both red
> >"+D1", "+D2", both green
> >
> >The motherboard has a "USB2" pin layout as follows:
> >
> > Pin 10 * * Pin 9
> > Blank Blank
> > Pin * * Pin
> > Pin * * Pin
> > Pin * * Pin
> > Pin 2 * * Pin 1
> >
> >The manual for this motherboard identifies the "USB2" port on the
> >motherboard but doesn't identify individual pins.
> >
> >Can anybody help me here?
> >

> Have you looked on the motherboard. Normally the manual is not
> necessary. Pin numbers should be written on the board.
>
> The manual does not identify any onboard additional usb-output.
>
> ftp://ftp.aopen.com/pub/manual/mb/mx64/mx64-ol-e.pdf
>
> Are you sure it is a mx64 ?
>
> best regards
>
> John

I realized that my diagram above of the pin layout was wrong in that I
inserted an extra set of pins. The pin layout SHOULD look like:

Pin 10 * * Pin 9
Blank Blank
Pin * * Pin
Pin * * Pin
Pin 2 * * Pin 1

With that out of the way:

If you look at page 2-2, which shows the locations of the jumpers and
connectors on the system board, you'll see the second USB connector -
labeled "USB2" - right below the built-in USB ports. The Acer
computer I took this board out of had a second pair of rear-mounted
USB ports which used this connector.

Yes, I'm very certain this is an MX64, or at least a clone made by
AOpen for ACER. If you rotate page 2-2 counter clockwise twice and
then compare the board layout to the ACER "Jumpers and Connectors -
6400 Series" at

http://www.acersupport.com/desktop/a...x_jumpers.html

you'll see the layout is exactly the same.

Identifying the pin numbers isn't the problem, it's identifying which
pins are +Data, -Data, Ground and +5V as the manual has no other
reference to this connector beyond it's mention on 2-2.

Looking at the manuals for other AOpen motherboards based on the VIA
694X chipset I'm guessing the pin out for this connector is as
follows:

10 9
+5V * * +5V
Blank Blank
Gnd * * Gnd
+D3 * * +D2
-D3 * * -D2
2 1

though I'd sure like some confirmation before I start plugging things
in!

Thanks.