iDisk and free trial .mac account

Wes Groleau

I have NO intention of paying Apple one cent
(much less $99) for .mac

But I figured, 60 day free trial? What have I got
to lose?

The answer to that question is the ability to click
"logout" and walk away.

Have to sit there for two minutes waiting for a popup
that says something like "Logout canceled because
xxxx would not quit. Click continue to force quit"

I forget exactly what xxxx's name is, but it's the thing
that tries to synchronize iDisk with a local folder.

(OK, I don't really have to wait two minutes.
I can press the reset button instead.)

--
Wes Groleau
http://groleau.freeshell.org/

Wes Groleau

Gnarlodious wrote:
> I gotta tell you Wes, IMO iDisk isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Nor the ferrite it's polarized on. :-)

I had it back when it was free, and I was far from impressed.
But I figured, hey, it's free again (for 60 days) so why not
see whether it has changed.

At least the first time around it never interfered with
operating my Mac.

Now I got to figure out how to turn it off.

--
Wes Groleau
http://groleau.freeshell.org/

Gregory Weston

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Wes Groleau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have NO intention of paying Apple one cent
> (much less $99) for .mac
>
> But I figured, 60 day free trial? What have I got
> to lose?
>
> The answer to that question is the ability to click
> "logout" and walk away.
>
> Have to sit there for two minutes waiting for a popup
> that says something like "Logout canceled because
> xxxx would not quit. Click continue to force quit"
>
> I forget exactly what xxxx's name is, but it's the thing
> that tries to synchronize iDisk with a local folder.
>
> (OK, I don't really have to wait two minutes.
> I can press the reset button instead.)

You could also disable the automatic synchronization of the iDisk with
your local cached copy, or eliminate the local cache altogether.

Wes Groleau

Gregory Weston wrote:
> You could also disable the automatic synchronization of the iDisk with
> your local cached copy, or eliminate the local cache altogether.

I did both. We'll see whether I still have trouble logging out.

--
Wes Groleau
http://groleau.freeshell.org/

Gregory Weston

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Wes Groleau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Gregory Weston wrote:
> > You could also disable the automatic synchronization of the iDisk with
> > your local cached copy, or eliminate the local cache altogether.

> I did both. We'll see whether I still have trouble logging out.

You won't. I'm confident. While you couldn't remember the name of the
process that vetoed the logout, I'm positive it was the iDisk synch
based on what you described. It will only veto if it's actively
performing some synch-related task, so if there's no synch (or no local
cache to synch) it _probably_ won't even be running and certainly won't
be vetoing anything.

Wes Groleau

Gregory Weston wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Wes Groleau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Gregory Weston wrote:
>>
>>>You could also disable the automatic synchronization of the iDisk with
>>>your local cached copy, or eliminate the local cache altogether.

>>I did both. We'll see whether I still have trouble logging out.

> You won't. I'm confident. While you couldn't remember the name of the
> process that vetoed the logout, I'm positive it was the iDisk synch
> based on what you described. It will only veto if it's actively
> performing some synch-related task, so if there's no synch (or no local
> cache to synch) it _probably_ won't even be running and certainly won't
> be vetoing anything.

You are partly correct.

I completely removed the local copy, AND disabled synchronization.
Now logouts are not hindered. The process was "MirrorAgent."

And it veto-ed logout every time--whether or not there was
any synchronization. In fact, there should have been NO
synchronization, because I never put anything into the iDisk
or took anything out!

--
Wes Groleau
http://groleau.freeshell.org/

Gregory Weston

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Wes Groleau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Gregory Weston wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Wes Groleau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>I did both. We'll see whether I still have trouble logging out.

> > You won't. I'm confident. While you couldn't remember the name of the
> > process that vetoed the logout, I'm positive it was the iDisk synch
> > based on what you described. It will only veto if it's actively
> > performing some synch-related task, so if there's no synch (or no local
> > cache to synch) it _probably_ won't even be running and certainly won't
> > be vetoing anything.

> You are partly correct.
>
> I completely removed the local copy, AND disabled synchronization.
> Now logouts are not hindered. The process was "MirrorAgent."
>
> And it veto-ed logout every time--whether or not there was
> any synchronization.

Seems unlikely. I use my iDisk across 3 machines and while I do see that
veto occasionally it's _very_ rare and I've always been able to look and
see that, in fact, there is a synch or check in progress. I'm not saying
it didn't happen to you, but I certainly can't consider it the norm.

> In fact, there should have been NO synchronization, because I never put
> anything into the iDisk or took anything out!

Okay, two things: There's always something there, because there are the
stock folders Apple creates. But that should happen the first time and
never bug you again. The second thing is that if you have auto-synch
turned on it's going to check periodically to see if the cache is stale.

So I'm more than partly correct.

There's really no reliable way to do validate the cache I can think of
that won't take an observable amount of time. (I can think of unreliable
ways that are much faster, but ...)

Wes Groleau

Gregory Weston wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Wes Groleau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I completely removed the local copy, AND disabled synchronization.
>>Now logouts are not hindered. The process was "MirrorAgent."
>>
>>And it veto-ed logout every time--whether or not there was
>>any synchronization.

> Seems unlikely. I use my iDisk across 3 machines and while I do see that
> veto occasionally it's _very_ rare and I've always been able to look and
> see that, in fact, there is a synch or check in progress. I'm not saying
> it didn't happen to you, but I certainly can't consider it the norm.

Well, that ain't the only thing I've been getting
that isn't the norm! :-)

I'd be thoroughly convinced of a hardware problem
except for one thing: ALL the problems started
when I went from 10.1.5 to 10.3.2

--
Wes Groleau
http://groleau.freeshell.org/

BreadWithSpam@fractious.net

Gnarlodious <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Entity Wes Groleau (admin) spoke thus:
>
> > But I figured, 60 day free trial? What have I got to lose?

> I gotta tell you Wes, IMO iDisk isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
> True, the IMAP service has been useful and that's why I got iDisk in the

Hrm. Their IMAP is one of the worst deals out there. If
that's why one gets a .mac account, one is wasting a lot
of money and, sadly, probably tying himself into a poor
choice of e-mail addresses, since .Mac's SMTP server is
configured to not permit you to use anything but your
..mac address as a From: or Reply-To: (ie. so you can't
publicize a different e-mail address and have it forwarded
to the .mac IMAP box). On top of how expensive it is
per meg of storage.

For some alternatives, see

http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/imap/isps/#table

Some of them are _great_ deals and very well run.

> Of course, some people like the webmagic thing for easy page generating.

..mac makes publishing photo albums from iPhoto about as
seamless as it's possible to be.

..mac also makes iSync work really nicely to keep address book,
bookmarks and calendar syncronized between multiple machines.

As far as I'm concerned, really, the iSync thing is the only
part of it that made it worthwhile.

No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

Paul Reading

Well I use iSync to keep the addresses, bookmarks and calenders in sync
and that alone is worth the money. It does not work perfectly as I have
checked the "Automatically synchronize evey hour" and it doesn't I have
to do it manually on every machine, why doesn't this work?

Having my office and home machines in syn is wonderful. I rarely use
the other featurers of .mac which is a shame, as I think they can be
used quite effectivly IF you have the time.