Brett Tyre

I ended up getting an Athlon XP 3000+ due to the simple lack of availability
of the 3200+ in my area (special order only).

I set the basic system up last night (m/b, ram, video card) and put it in
the case (Thermaltake Xaser VM2000).

BIOS reads the the CPU idle temp as 46-47C;. it seems to hold steady at that
point and system temp as 27-28C. I know in Windows the idle is generally a
litte lower. I've got three case fans running along with the stock AMD
heatsink and fan.

In any case, is this considered a "normal" temperature? Its been a few
years since I've built an Athlon, and I know on my old one I actually
acheived low temps compared to other people.
--
NP:
Brett Tyre

Arthur Buse

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, "Brett Tyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I ended up getting an Athlon XP 3000+ due to the simple lack of availability
>of the 3200+ in my area (special order only).
>
>I set the basic system up last night (m/b, ram, video card) and put it in
>the case (Thermaltake Xaser VM2000).
>
>BIOS reads the the CPU idle temp as 46-47C;. it seems to hold steady at that
>point and system temp as 27-28C. I know in Windows the idle is generally a
>litte lower. I've got three case fans running along with the stock AMD
>heatsink and fan.
>
>In any case, is this considered a "normal" temperature? Its been a few
>years since I've built an Athlon, and I know on my old one I actually
>acheived low temps compared to other people.

In my humble opinion, the BIOS puts the CPU under full load. Windows
contains a Halt instruction which lets the CPU idle. Dos and BIOS do
not.

--
Arthur.

email address is bogus, real email adr is zathras at freeuk dot com

J. Clarke

Brett Tyre wrote:
> I ended up getting an Athlon XP 3000+ due to the simple lack of availability
> of the 3200+ in my area (special order only).
>
> I set the basic system up last night (m/b, ram, video card) and put it in
> the case (Thermaltake Xaser VM2000).
>
> BIOS reads the the CPU idle temp as 46-47C;. it seems to hold steady at that
> point and system temp as 27-28C. I know in Windows the idle is generally a
> litte lower. I've got three case fans running along with the stock AMD
> heatsink and fan.
>
> In any case, is this considered a "normal" temperature?

That's fine. Generally speaking if you're not overclocking then
anything under 60C on the motherboard sensor (or 70 or so on the
internal diode) under load is fine--if you're idling 47C then you'll
likely be well under 60 under load. If you're going for maximum
overclocking you want the processor as cool as you can afford to run it.

> Its been a few
> years since I've built an Athlon, and I know on my old one I actually
> acheived low temps compared to other people.
> --
> NP:
> Brett Tyre
> (E-Mail Removed)
> (E-Mail Removed)
> www.geocities.com/brett_tyre
> London Drugs, Comp. Dept.
> "I have something I want to tell you.I'm not like other guys.No, I mean I'm
> different." -Michael Jackson "Thriller"

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)