IL-8 freezes when using USB flash card reader

Charlie

I've got a very budget oriented system that I am very happy with....
but it does have one annoying habit. If I use the front panel USB
ports with a CF reader, it will from time to time freeze. No BSOD,
nothing, just stone cold death. If I reset the machine, it will then
refuse to boot, returning me repetitively to the "Windows XP, we're
sorry menu". As soon as I remove the CF reader, all is well.

This smells like a driver issue - or perhaps even bios considering how
close usb support is wedded to the motherboard. Anyone experience
this behavior? Suggestions?

Thanks