how to image copy laptop HDD

Phil Schuman

How can I image copy my laptop HDD to another larger replacement HDD ?
I have old versions of Image Copy & Partition Magic -
but what about the hardware ??
is there anything avail where I can somehow unplug the laptop HDD,
and install a ribbon cable and then attach 2 HDDs for image copy ?
Phil -

Brian Lycett

Hi.

The easiest way to do it would be to use a desktop PC and two 3.5 inch to
2.5 inch ide adapters.
If partition magic boots from a cdrom (I've never used it), then you can
set up your pc so that the cdrom drive is the slave drive on the 1st
(primary) IDE channel, and the old laptop hdd will be the master.
You'll need to use the IDE adapter to connect the laptop HDDs to the pc
ide cables & power.
Connect the second, new laptop hdd as the secondary master (on the 2nd IDE
channel). Make sure the pc detects the laptop hdd's in the bios, and that
it's set to boot from the cdrom.
The boot partition magic from the cd, and you should be able to image the
drive.
I picked up an ide apapter for around $8, and they should be available
from most PC hardware shops.

Hope this helps.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Phil Schuman wrote:

> Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:21:28 GMT
> From: Phil Schuman <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
> Subject: how to image copy laptop HDD
>
> How can I image copy my laptop HDD to another larger replacement HDD ?
> I have old versions of Image Copy & Partition Magic -
> but what about the hardware ??
> is there anything avail where I can somehow unplug the laptop HDD,
> and install a ribbon cable and then attach 2 HDDs for image copy ?
> Phil -

John

Phil,

For 2.5" drive to 3.5" IDE converter to mount a laptop
drive in your desktop as a secondary drive, checkout:

http://www.cyberguys.com/
Conduct a search for 1610405

John

Copy Laptop HDD Star@*.* Dell 10 10-08-2006 01:55 AM
Need to copy old data from a dead ProStar 5200 notebook/laptop's HDD... ANTant@zimage.com Laptops 9 03-07-2005 06:19 PM
Software to copy image of workstation onto laptop? Top Spin Laptops 0 08-02-2004 03:29 PM
Boot Thinkpad on 2nd HDD w/o entering HDD password for 1st HDD Søren Maigaard Laptops 1 12-20-2003 11:00 PM
VHS to DVD Archival copy and viewing copy CarlosWA ATI 0 07-12-2003 01:41 PM