Info required for Core 2 Duo and Abit AB9 pro M/B overclock?

P Gagg

Hi...

During the last couple of days I have just built myself a nice new Intel Core 2 Duo
E6600 based pc, and I have it working great, but I would like clarification of the
settings needed to overclock the pc.

I have already got the cpu to 2.7Ghz using 9x multiplier and 300 FSB (stock setting
is 9 x 272 = 2.4Ghz) and have tested it ok (using Sandra Lite, and CPU Stress
Tester) and the max temp for the cpu never goes above 50 degrees C.

Then I tried using 8 x multiplier with 350 FSB = 2.8Ghz and the pc also worked great
(tested again with Sandra and CPU Stress Tester) and temp never got above 51
degrees C.

However, CPU-Z and Sandra Lite and Speedfan all report the cpu speed as 3.1Ghz
using these settings from the bios?

Now I know that this is a very new M/B and therefore some programs may not be
reporting the speeds / settings correctly, so I just wanted to clarify what settings
other overclockers are using?

I've read many reports that this sort of set-up should easily get over 3Ghz speeds.
But what settings should I set in the bios, specifically for the cpu multiplier? the FSB?
the memory (so far I have NOT changed any memory settings) and the DRam spec?
and the core voltage? (so far I have not cahnged any voltages).

NB: It looks like this M/B uses a 2:3 ratio for the cpuram (eg: cpu clock = 300, so
DRam = 300 / 2 = 150 x 3 = 450) and this is the bit thats confusing me, I think my
Ram is rated at DDR2 800Mhz (400 x 2 ) so how come its running at faster than 400?

Any info and advice would be welcomed..... thanx

The complete PC spec is as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 cpu (4Mb cache)
Arctic Cooling Pro 7 fan and heatsink (also used arctic silver thermal compound)
Abit AB9 Pro (WiFi) M/B
2 x Gb crucial Ballistix DDR2 ram ( 2 x 1Gb chips running in dual channel mode)
Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card (320Mb)
Arctic 600w (modular) PSU
Hitachi Deskstar 320Gb SATA H/D
LG SATA DVD/CD writer
LG 19" TFT (widescreen)
Sony 1.44Mb FDD

*Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/

PG

What does the C1E function on this M/B do? (it is set to auto by
default, but it can be disabled).

Also, what does the thermal control bit of the bios do on this M/B? eg:
should I have it enabled or disabled? (its enabled by default).

Thanx

P Gagg wrote:
> Hi...
>
> During the last couple of days I have just built myself a nice new Intel Core 2 Duo
> E6600 based pc, and I have it working great, but I would like clarification of the
> settings needed to overclock the pc.
>
> I have already got the cpu to 2.7Ghz using 9x multiplier and 300 FSB (stock setting
> is 9 x 272 = 2.4Ghz) and have tested it ok (using Sandra Lite, and CPU Stress
> Tester) and the max temp for the cpu never goes above 50 degrees C.
>
> Then I tried using 8 x multiplier with 350 FSB = 2.8Ghz and the pc also worked great
> (tested again with Sandra and CPU Stress Tester) and temp never got above 51
> degrees C.
>
> However, CPU-Z and Sandra Lite and Speedfan all report the cpu speed as 3.1Ghz
> using these settings from the bios?
>
> Now I know that this is a very new M/B and therefore some programs may not be
> reporting the speeds / settings correctly, so I just wanted to clarify what settings
> other overclockers are using?
>
> I've read many reports that this sort of set-up should easily get over 3Ghz speeds.
> But what settings should I set in the bios, specifically for the cpu multiplier? the FSB?
> the memory (so far I have NOT changed any memory settings) and the DRam spec?
> and the core voltage? (so far I have not cahnged any voltages).
>
> NB: It looks like this M/B uses a 2:3 ratio for the cpuram (eg: cpu clock = 300, so
> DRam = 300 / 2 = 150 x 3 = 450) and this is the bit thats confusing me, I think my
> Ram is rated at DDR2 800Mhz (400 x 2 ) so how come its running at faster than 400?
>
> Any info and advice would be welcomed..... thanx
>
> The complete PC spec is as follows:
>
> Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 cpu (4Mb cache)
> Arctic Cooling Pro 7 fan and heatsink (also used arctic silver thermal compound)
> Abit AB9 Pro (WiFi) M/B
> 2 x Gb crucial Ballistix DDR2 ram ( 2 x 1Gb chips running in dual channel mode)
> Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card (320Mb)
> Arctic 600w (modular) PSU
> Hitachi Deskstar 320Gb SATA H/D
> LG SATA DVD/CD writer
> LG 19" TFT (widescreen)
> Sony 1.44Mb FDD
>

> *Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/

Fishface

P Gagg wrote:
> NB: It looks like this M/B uses a 2:3 ratio for the cpuram (eg: cpu
> clock = 300, so DRam = 300 / 2 = 150 x 3 = 450) and this is the bit
> thats confusing me, I think my Ram is rated at DDR2 800Mhz
> (400 x 2 ) so how come its running at faster than 400?

Look at your "DRAM Spec. (CPURAM)" in the µGuru. It seems to
set the ratio. If it is on auto, it may be setting the ratio to other than
1:1. On my Biostar board, I have to manually set a "System Memory
Frequency" to 533 to get a 1:1 ratio-- how intuitive is that?!

Len Hickman

> NB: It looks like this M/B uses a 2:3 ratio for the cpuram (eg: cpu
> clock = 300, so
> DRam = 300 / 2 = 150 x 3 = 450) and this is the bit thats confusing me, I
> think my
> Ram is rated at DDR2 800Mhz (400 x 2 ) so how come its running at faster
> than 400?
>
> Any info and advice would be welcomed..... thanx
>> *Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/

You have actually answered you own question
You have raised the FSB speed and the memory clock is tied to the FSB in a
ratio of 2:3 hence the higher than rated speed.
On my system using an E6600 at 333 FSB my memory is running at 499.5MHz.
This gives an over clock from 2.4 to 2.997 GHz on stock cooling.
If your BIOS allows it, lock the PCI-E bus to 100MHz to be safe, at least
don't let it go above 115MHz or you will probably get data corruption on
accesses to your hard disc.
( I found this out the hard way!)
I have an ASUS board that allows the locked PCI-E bus speed and provides 2
methods of setting the memory parameters. I can either tell it I'm using
800Mhz Memory and it then sets timings accordingly or I can manualy set the
memory timings.
I have erred on the cautious side and told it to use 800Mhz timings.

I have had it running stable at a FSB 354Mhz & Mem 530Mhz giving 3.2Ghz a
33% overclock on stock cooling in a cool room! Better cooling will be
required here for the summer.....

Len

PG

Thanx for the info Len.

Out of interest how hot is your cpu getting when clocked? mine never
seems to go above 50 (51 max under load and around 30 at idle) but not
sure if this is good or bad? I thought the max temp for this cpu is 65,
so if I'm only getting to 50 then I thought that was ok.

Thanx

Len Hickman wrote:
>>NB: It looks like this M/B uses a 2:3 ratio for the cpuram (eg: cpu
>>clock = 300, so
>>DRam = 300 / 2 = 150 x 3 = 450) and this is the bit thats confusing me, I
>>think my
>>Ram is rated at DDR2 800Mhz (400 x 2 ) so how come its running at faster
>>than 400?
>>
>>Any info and advice would be welcomed..... thanx
>>
>>>*Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/

> You have actually answered you own question
> You have raised the FSB speed and the memory clock is tied to the FSB in a
> ratio of 2:3 hence the higher than rated speed.
> On my system using an E6600 at 333 FSB my memory is running at 499.5MHz.
> This gives an over clock from 2.4 to 2.997 GHz on stock cooling.
> If your BIOS allows it, lock the PCI-E bus to 100MHz to be safe, at least
> don't let it go above 115MHz or you will probably get data corruption on
> accesses to your hard disc.
> ( I found this out the hard way!)
> I have an ASUS board that allows the locked PCI-E bus speed and provides 2
> methods of setting the memory parameters. I can either tell it I'm using
> 800Mhz Memory and it then sets timings accordingly or I can manualy set the
> memory timings.
> I have erred on the cautious side and told it to use 800Mhz timings.
>
> I have had it running stable at a FSB 354Mhz & Mem 530Mhz giving 3.2Ghz a
> 33% overclock on stock cooling in a cool room! Better cooling will be
> required here for the summer.....
>
> Len

Ed Medlin

"PG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanx for the info Len.
>
> Out of interest how hot is your cpu getting when clocked? mine never seems
> to go above 50 (51 max under load and around 30 at idle) but not sure if
> this is good or bad? I thought the max temp for this cpu is 65, so if I'm
> only getting to 50 then I thought that was ok.
>
> Thanx

Your temps are fine and very close to my liquid cooled E6600. My idle temps
are 28-31C (ambient room at about 25C) and load temps in the high 40s. I use
the P5N32-SLI and am having a bit of a problem with MB temps getting higher
than my CPU temps so for the meantime I am at 2.8ghz on the CPU. I may have
to get a water block for the northbridge and maybe do a little modding to
get the temp down. I have had the CPU stable at 3.2ghz but didn't like the
MB temps up near 49C. At 2.8 the MB temps are only at about 40C (what it is
at stock speed).

Ed
> Len Hickman wrote:
>>>NB: It looks like this M/B uses a 2:3 ratio for the cpuram (eg: cpu
>>>clock = 300, so
>>>DRam = 300 / 2 = 150 x 3 = 450) and this is the bit thats confusing me, I
>>>think my
>>>Ram is rated at DDR2 800Mhz (400 x 2 ) so how come its running at faster
>>>than 400?
>>>
>>>Any info and advice would be welcomed..... thanx

>> You have actually answered you own question
>> You have raised the FSB speed and the memory clock is tied to the FSB in
>> a ratio of 2:3 hence the higher than rated speed.
>> On my system using an E6600 at 333 FSB my memory is running at 499.5MHz.
>> This gives an over clock from 2.4 to 2.997 GHz on stock cooling.
>> If your BIOS allows it, lock the PCI-E bus to 100MHz to be safe, at least
>> don't let it go above 115MHz or you will probably get data corruption on
>> accesses to your hard disc.
>> ( I found this out the hard way!)
>> I have an ASUS board that allows the locked PCI-E bus speed and provides
>> 2 methods of setting the memory parameters. I can either tell it I'm
>> using 800Mhz Memory and it then sets timings accordingly or I can manualy
>> set the memory timings.
>> I have erred on the cautious side and told it to use 800Mhz timings.
>>
>> I have had it running stable at a FSB 354Mhz & Mem 530Mhz giving 3.2Ghz a
>> 33% overclock on stock cooling in a cool room! Better cooling will be
>> required here for the summer.....
>>
>> Len

Forrest

"P Gagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).194. 153.2.1...
> Hi...
>
> During the last couple of days I have just built myself a nice new Intel
> Core 2 Duo
> E6600 based pc, and I have it working great, but I would like
> clarification of the
> settings needed to overclock the pc.
>
> I have already got the cpu to 2.7Ghz using 9x multiplier and 300 FSB
> (stock setting
> is 9 x 272 = 2.4Ghz) and have tested it ok (using Sandra Lite, and CPU
> Stress
> Tester) and the max temp for the cpu never goes above 50 degrees C.
>
> Then I tried using 8 x multiplier with 350 FSB = 2.8Ghz and the pc also
> worked great
> (tested again with Sandra and CPU Stress Tester) and temp never got above
> 51
> degrees C.
>
> However, CPU-Z and Sandra Lite and Speedfan all report the cpu speed as
> 3.1Ghz
> using these settings from the bios?
>
> Now I know that this is a very new M/B and therefore some programs may not
> be
> reporting the speeds / settings correctly, so I just wanted to clarify
> what settings
> other overclockers are using?
>
> I've read many reports that this sort of set-up should easily get over
> 3Ghz speeds.
> But what settings should I set in the bios, specifically for the cpu
> multiplier? the FSB?
> the memory (so far I have NOT changed any memory settings) and the DRam
> spec?
> and the core voltage? (so far I have not cahnged any voltages).
>
> NB: It looks like this M/B uses a 2:3 ratio for the cpuram (eg: cpu
> clock = 300, so
> DRam = 300 / 2 = 150 x 3 = 450) and this is the bit thats confusing me, I
> think my
> Ram is rated at DDR2 800Mhz (400 x 2 ) so how come its running at faster
> than 400?
>
> Any info and advice would be welcomed..... thanx
>
> The complete PC spec is as follows:
>
> Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 cpu (4Mb cache)
> Arctic Cooling Pro 7 fan and heatsink (also used arctic silver thermal
> compound)
> Abit AB9 Pro (WiFi) M/B
> 2 x Gb crucial Ballistix DDR2 ram ( 2 x 1Gb chips running in dual channel
> mode)
> Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card (320Mb)
> Arctic 600w (modular) PSU
> Hitachi Deskstar 320Gb SATA H/D
> LG SATA DVD/CD writer
> LG 19" TFT (widescreen)
> Sony 1.44Mb FDD
>

> *Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/

"Then I tried using 8 x multiplier with 350 FSB = 2.8Ghz and the pc also
worked great
(tested again with Sandra and CPU Stress Tester) and temp never got above 51
degrees C."

I have the same CPU. I also have 800 MHz ram, running at stock speed and
voltage etc. Since you are experimenting with an "8" multiplier, give 400
fsb a try. It will let you run your ram synchronized at 1:1 if you lock the
ram to that speed. I ran mine all of last night under 100% load at that
setting, which gives you a 3.2 gig speed. I'm using a Zalman's CNPS9500AT on
the CPU and ran at stock V core voltage, (1.325). The hotter of the two
cores only got to 60 and the second at about 57. I would guess that the room
temp was around 72 Fahrenheit. I sure do love this chip!

P G

Thanx, I'll give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes, once again thanx
for the info.

8-)

> I have the same CPU. I also have 800 MHz ram, running at stock speed and
> voltage etc. Since you are experimenting with an "8" multiplier, give 400
> fsb a try. It will let you run your ram synchronized at 1:1 if you lock the
> ram to that speed. I ran mine all of last night under 100% load at that
> setting, which gives you a 3.2 gig speed. I'm using a Zalman's CNPS9500AT on
> the CPU and ran at stock V core voltage, (1.325). The hotter of the two
> cores only got to 60 and the second at about 57. I would guess that the room
> temp was around 72 Fahrenheit. I sure do love this chip!

Phil Weldon

Try Orthos with small FFTs to get a real workout with 100% load on both
CPUs. Each CPU should have the same temperature.

Phil Weldon

"Forrest" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newseK2i.296$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> [...]
51
| degrees C."
|
| I have the same CPU. I also have 800 MHz ram, running at stock speed and
| voltage etc. Since you are experimenting with an "8" multiplier, give 400
| fsb a try. It will let you run your ram synchronized at 1:1 if you lock
the
| ram to that speed. I ran mine all of last night under 100% load at that
| setting, which gives you a 3.2 gig speed. I'm using a Zalman's CNPS9500AT
on
| the CPU and ran at stock V core voltage, (1.325). The hotter of the two
| cores only got to 60 and the second at about 57. I would guess that the
room
| temp was around 72 Fahrenheit. I sure do love this chip!

Forrest

" Each CPU should have the same temperature."

Are you sure about that, Phil? In Intel's "TAT" and other programs, my PCU
0 is always about 4 or 5 degrees higher than CPU 1. It doesn't matter if I'm
OCd or not.

news:_DN2i.16369$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...