[INFO] SD 11 Won't boot without monitor

MazzzzzingaZ

I need to boot my PC without monitor (using the graphic card TV-OUT)
and I don't know how. If I plug only TV to the PC I've a boot failure:
nothing "beep", nothing on TV. If I connect the monitor after the PC
power on I can see on it the Video Card information (manufacture, video
bios version, ecc, all informations that normally come before POST). Is
a M/B problem or a VGA BIOS problem? (I've a Nvidia GeForce2 GTS with
TV-Out).

There is an option in M/B bios to ignore errors in the boot? I heard
about "Halt on....." item, but I can't find in NC611 Bios.

Thanks.

Alex Zorrilla

It is a problem with the Geforce2's VGA BIOS. It is expecting a monitor
to be attached, and it refuses to boot without one.

One of the steps in the motherboard POST sequence is to initialize any
graphics cards in the computer, which has the graphics cards go through
their own POST routines. The SD11 is doing its part correctly, but the
Geforce2 hangs when there is no VGA cable attached.

There is a way to fool the Geforce2 into thinking that a monitor is
attached, however. You need to connect the "red", "green", and "blue"
output pins on the VGA connector to the "red return", "green return",
and "blue return" pins, respectively, using a 75 ohm resistor for each
connection. That is...

red (pin 1) --> 75 ohm resistor --> red return (pin 6)
green (pin 2) --> 75 ohm resistor --> green return (pin 7)
blue (pin 3) --> 75 ohm resistor --> blue return (pin 8)

See the following links for more info. If they do not work, do Google
searches on "VGA pinout" and "VGA dummy".

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/pc/vga_bd15.html
http://www.modasylum.com/content.php?name=VGA_DUMMY

If nothing else, at least you know the cause of the problem. Good luck!

--Alex

MazzzzzingaZ wrote:
> I need to boot my PC without monitor (using the graphic card TV-OUT)
> and I don't know how. If I plug only TV to the PC I've a boot failure:
> nothing "beep", nothing on TV. If I connect the monitor after the PC
> power on I can see on it the Video Card information (manufacture, video
> bios version, ecc, all informations that normally come before POST). Is
> a M/B problem or a VGA BIOS problem? (I've a Nvidia GeForce2 GTS with
> TV-Out).
>
> There is an option in M/B bios to ignore errors in the boot? I heard
> about "Halt on....." item, but I can't find in NC611 Bios.
>
> Thanks.

MazzzzzingaZ

Ok, thanks.
Bye