Inspiron 1420 screen size?

georgie

I'm trying to find the dimensions of the Inspiron 1420 LCD display.
Dell only gives the diagonal measurement. Could someone with that
laptop please post the vertical and horizontal lengths of the viewable
screen?

Also, is the higher res 1440x900 suitable for "office work" or would
1280x800 be better for reading documents?

Thanks for your help in advance....

Pen

georgie wrote:
> I'm trying to find the dimensions of the Inspiron 1420 LCD display.
> Dell only gives the diagonal measurement. Could someone with that
> laptop please post the vertical and horizontal lengths of the viewable
> screen?
>
> Also, is the higher res 1440x900 suitable for "office work" or would
> 1280x800 be better for reading documents?
>
> Thanks for your help in advance....

Dell docs are here.
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1102222
gives all 3 dimensions.
I've never used 144-0x900 so I can't help. 1280x800 is small enough for me.

Tom Scales

7.5" high
12" wide

I love the 1440x900 display. Even better than I expected.

BTW, with the diagonal measurement, you could have calculated the screen
size with a little geometry

Tom

Journey

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 19:53:11 -0400, "Tom Scales" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>7.5" high
>12" wide
>
>I love the 1440x900 display. Even better than I expected.
>
>BTW, with the diagonal measurement, you could have calculated the screen
>size with a little geometry
>
>Tom

Well, it looks like you have mixed reviews so far for resolution. I
will join Tom and say that when I had a 14.1" laptop I liked the 1440
x 900 resolution.

Ogden Johnson III

georgie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm trying to find the dimensions of the Inspiron 1420 LCD display.
>Dell only gives the diagonal measurement. Could someone with that
>laptop please post the vertical and horizontal lengths of the viewable
>screen?

I haven't checked the Dell website to see what the display in
question looks like, but given the standard ratios of "legacy"
screens compared with the display ratios of the new wide screens,
anyone who bothered to pay attention in his classes in plane
geometry in high school should find that calculation elementary.

>Also, is the higher res 1440x900 suitable for "office work" or would
>1280x800 be better for reading documents?

That is a totally subjective judgement, depending on screen area,
the viewer's age, the viewer's visual acuity, and the phases of
the moon.

>Thanks for your help in advance....

FWIW, you're welcome.
--
OJ III

Journey

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 22:40:01 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>georgie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to find the dimensions of the Inspiron 1420 LCD display.
>>Dell only gives the diagonal measurement. Could someone with that
>>laptop please post the vertical and horizontal lengths of the viewable
>>screen?

>I haven't checked the Dell website to see what the display in
>question looks like, but given the standard ratios of "legacy"
>screens compared with the display ratios of the new wide screens,
>anyone who bothered to pay attention in his classes in plane
>geometry in high school should find that calculation elementary.
>
>>Also, is the higher res 1440x900 suitable for "office work" or would
>>1280x800 be better for reading documents?

>That is a totally subjective judgement, depending on screen area,
>the viewer's age, the viewer's visual acuity, and the phases of
>the moon.
>
>>Thanks for your help in advance....

>FWIW, you're welcome.
>--
>OJ III

Well then instead of talking about it why don't you give him a
geometry lesson, professor OJ III.

Barry Watzman

Let's see ....

[Diagonal Measurement]**2 = (width**2) + (height**2)

width = (1440/800)*height

System of two simultaneous equations; solve for Diagonal Measurement

The rest is left as a exercise for the student.

Journey wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 22:40:01 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> georgie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to find the dimensions of the Inspiron 1420 LCD display.
>>> Dell only gives the diagonal measurement. Could someone with that
>>> laptop please post the vertical and horizontal lengths of the viewable
>>> screen?

>> I haven't checked the Dell website to see what the display in
>> question looks like, but given the standard ratios of "legacy"
>> screens compared with the display ratios of the new wide screens,
>> anyone who bothered to pay attention in his classes in plane
>> geometry in high school should find that calculation elementary.
>>
>>> Also, is the higher res 1440x900 suitable for "office work" or would
>>> 1280x800 be better for reading documents?

>> That is a totally subjective judgement, depending on screen area,
>> the viewer's age, the viewer's visual acuity, and the phases of
>> the moon.
>>
>>> Thanks for your help in advance....

>> FWIW, you're welcome.
>> --
>> OJ III

> Well then instead of talking about it why don't you give him a
> geometry lesson, professor OJ III.

Journey

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 01:50:17 -0400, Barry Watzman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Let's see ....
>
>[Diagonal Measurement]**2 = (width**2) + (height**2)
>
>width = (1440/800)*height
>
>System of two simultaneous equations; solve for Diagonal Measurement
>
>The rest is left as a exercise for the student.

Barry, what do you say we cut to the chase?:

http://tinyurl.com/2jlqdx

Follow the simple instructions on that page.

alien

"Journey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 01:50:17 -0400, Barry Watzman
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Let's see ....
>>
>>[Diagonal Measurement]**2 = (width**2) + (height**2)
>>
>>width = (1440/800)*height
>>
>>System of two simultaneous equations; solve for Diagonal Measurement
>>
>>The rest is left as a exercise for the student.

> Barry, what do you say we cut to the chase?:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2jlqdx
>
> Follow the simple instructions on that page.

I came up with 3.3 Is that right?

alien

alien

"Journey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 01:50:17 -0400, Barry Watzman
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Let's see ....
>>
>>[Diagonal Measurement]**2 = (width**2) + (height**2)
>>
>>width = (1440/800)*height
>>
>>System of two simultaneous equations; solve for Diagonal Measurement
>>
>>The rest is left as a exercise for the student.

> Barry, what do you say we cut to the chase?:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2jlqdx
>
> Follow the simple instructions on that page.

BTW, a cut and paste from the last line on that page:

(Can you think of an important physical mechanism that this model
neglects?)

Yes, my brain.

alien

Inspiron 1420 Touchpad Boris Dell 4 09-02-2011 06:12 PM
Re: Inspiron 1420 with a dell wireless 355 bluetooth module as a customer install Boris Dell 1 10-31-2008 02:27 PM
Re: Inspiron 1420 with a dell wireless 355 bluetooth module as acustomer install Pen Dell 1 10-29-2008 02:22 PM
Inspiron 1420 sound WSZsr Dell 0 10-05-2007 02:10 AM
Adding Linux to an Inspiron 1420 Jim Dell 0 09-15-2007 07:15 PM