Inspiron 1420 Touchpad

Boris

The scroll bars on my Inspiron 1420 don't work. The touchpad, otherwise
works just fine. I've read that to configure the touchpad, I have to go to
the control panel/devices and select keyboard, but there is no keyboard
selection there. Device manager shows standard PS/2 keyboard, and HID.

Besides the keyboard and touchpad, I use a Logitech wireless mouse.

Anyone know how I can configure the touchpad so that the scroll bars
(horizontal and vertical)work?

TIA

BillW50

On 9/2/2011 1:22 AM, Boris wrote:
> The scroll bars on my Inspiron 1420 don't work. The touchpad, otherwise
> works just fine. I've read that to configure the touchpad, I have to go to
> the control panel/devices and select keyboard, but there is no keyboard
> selection there. Device manager shows standard PS/2 keyboard, and HID.
>
> Besides the keyboard and touchpad, I use a Logitech wireless mouse.
>
> Anyone know how I can configure the touchpad so that the scroll bars
> (horizontal and vertical)work?
>
> TIA

No not the keyboard, but use the mouse icon instead. That is where the
settings for the touchpad is.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3.0

Ben Myers

On Sep 2, 2:22*am, Boris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The scroll bars on my Inspiron 1420 don't work. *The touchpad, otherwise
> works just fine. *I've read that to configure the touchpad, I have to go to
> the control panel/devices and select keyboard, but there is no keyboard
> selection there. *Device manager shows standard PS/2 keyboard, and HID.
>
> Besides the keyboard and touchpad, I use a Logitech wireless mouse.
>
> Anyone know how I can configure the touchpad so that the scroll bars
> (horizontal and vertical)work?
>
> TIA

Are any additional drivers required for full support of the Inspiron
1420 touchpad? ... Ben Myers

Boris

BillW50 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:j3qi03$mll$(E-Mail Removed):

> On 9/2/2011 1:22 AM, Boris wrote:
>> The scroll bars on my Inspiron 1420 don't work. The touchpad,
>> otherwise works just fine. I've read that to configure the touchpad,
>> I have to go to the control panel/devices and select keyboard, but
>> there is no keyboard selection there. Device manager shows standard
>> PS/2 keyboard, and HID.
>>
>> Besides the keyboard and touchpad, I use a Logitech wireless mouse.
>>
>> Anyone know how I can configure the touchpad so that the scroll bars
>> (horizontal and vertical)work?
>>
>> TIA

> No not the keyboard, but use the mouse icon instead. That is where the
> settings for the touchpad is.

From the Dell 1420 User's Manual:

Customizing the Touch Pad
You can use the Mouse Properties window to disable the touch pad or adjust
the touch pad settings.
1 Click Start , and then click Control Panel.
2 Click Hardware and Sound.
3 Click Keyboard.
4 In the Mouse Properties window:
Click the Device Select tab to disable the touch pad.
Click the Touch Pad tab to adjust touch pad settings.
5 Click OK to save the settings and close the window.

I don't have a Keyboard selection, but I do have a Mouse selection, but
once there, there is no Device selection, just the standard Mouse
Properties tab settings.

Ben mentions touchpad drivers. The Dell site does have one, listed as
optional. Thinking this Dell driver may be 'too' generic, and wanting to
know who made the touchpad, I looked at the shipping order for this
machine, and all through the Device Manager, to see who manufactured the
touchpad, but just no mention of a touchpad anywhere.

Think I'll try the Dell driver, and see what happens. That may give me the
touchpad settings applet that may work.

Thanks to you and Ben.

Boris

Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sep 2, 2:22*am, Boris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The scroll bars on my Inspiron 1420 don't work. *The touchpad,
>> otherwis

>> works just fine. *I've read that to configure the touchpad, I have to

> o to
>> the control panel/devices and select keyboard, but there is no
>> keyboard selection there. *Device manager shows standard PS/2
>> keyboard, and HID.
>>
>> Besides the keyboard and touchpad, I use a Logitech wireless mouse.
>>
>> Anyone know how I can configure the touchpad so that the scroll bars
>> (horizontal and vertical)work?
>>
>> TIA

> Are any additional drivers required for full support of the Inspiron
> 1420 touchpad? ... Ben Myers

That was it!

I installed the optional Dell Touchpad/Pointing Stick driver. Once
installed, Dell Alps Touchpad showed up in all the right places.
Settings are accomplished by (this is a Win 7):

Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Mouse, and at this point the Dell
driver has added an additional tab to the Mouse Properties applet,
called "Dell Touchpad". All the settings are found within. Now all the
touchpad scrolling works as it should.

Thanks guys.

Re: Inspiron 1420 with a dell wireless 355 bluetooth module as a customer install Boris Dell 1 10-31-2008 02:27 PM
Re: Inspiron 1420 with a dell wireless 355 bluetooth module as acustomer install Pen Dell 1 10-29-2008 02:22 PM
Inspiron 1420 screen size? georgie Dell 14 10-13-2007 06:13 PM
Inspiron 1420 sound WSZsr Dell 0 10-05-2007 02:10 AM
Adding Linux to an Inspiron 1420 Jim Dell 0 09-15-2007 07:15 PM